PDA

View Full Version : South Cheaha Loop Questions

latechbanjo
09-30-2014, 09:40
Hi all!

I've read up on the Skyway, Chinnabee, Pinhoti loop, and I just wanted to get some opinions on difficulty.

Most of my backpacking has been done in the Ouachita mountains of Arkansas, with a few solo dayhikes in the higher elevations around Aspen. My wife has been on quite a few dayhikes and one overnight with me on the south end of the Eagle Rock loop in AR. We kept it to about 5.5 miles total, and it was just about perfect for a first time overnighter. I'm thinking the terrain was a little steeper than what is in Cheaha.

I'm thinking the loop may be a good chance for us to stretch to a second night without being too strenuous, but I don't want to push too far too fast. My initial thought was to start at Turnipseed on Friday around noon, hike either to Heaven or to the first creek past Adam's Gap for the night. Saturday, do the Skyway and camp at the creek near the Chinnabee trail. Sunday, hike the remainder out to Turnipseed.

What's the best way to schedule the hike so we don't end up hiking too much per day? Secondly, how could I plan this to where if she decides not to go on, we could cut the loop short or turn it into an out-and-back? We're both in good shape, late 20s.

Thanks for the help.

blisterbob
09-30-2014, 12:43
If you hike as planned you will avoid the 2 hardest climbs (stairway to Heaven and the climb on the Skyway to connect to the pinhoti)
The other hard climb will be on the Chinnabee up to the Pinhoti intersection, but with your experience you won't have any problems.
My wife and I did that in 2 days (the hard way) with no problems.
There are 2 options for an early out, at Adams Gap and at Lake Chinnabee if you have 2 autos or schedule a pick up.
Don't count on cell service on the Skyway or Chinnabee up to Turnipseed.

And welcome to White Blaze/ Pinhoti

Dogwood
09-30-2014, 13:25
FWIW, I thru-hiked the Pinhoti Trail last yr also doing some of that Loop in Cheaha SP which included the Chinabee Tr(down and back up from the lake), Cheaha Lookout Tower(AL state high pt), Nubbin Tr, the trail from the Cheaha Lodge/Boardwalk area down to the Pinhoti Trail Shelter, etc( Not the Skyway Tr though) as side hikes and thru-hiked the Ouachita Trail in Arkansas this spring. I would say the difficulty of those hikes are quite comparable in many sections. With your Aspen hiking experiences you should be fine.

BuddyL
09-30-2014, 13:45
When are you scheduling to make this hike? I could give you my cell number and would be available for a bail-out depending on the dates.

latechbanjo
09-30-2014, 15:01
When are you scheduling to make this hike? I could give you my cell number and would be available for a bail-out depending on the dates.

Thanks, we are looking to do it the weekend of 17 October.

latechbanjo
09-30-2014, 15:07
If you hike as planned you will avoid the 2 hardest climbs (stairway to Heaven and the climb on the Skyway to connect to the pinhoti)
The other hard climb will be on the Chinnabee up to the Pinhoti intersection, but with your experience you won't have any problems.
My wife and I did that in 2 days (the hard way) with no problems.
There are 2 options for an early out, at Adams Gap and at Lake Chinnabee if you have 2 autos or schedule a pick up.
Don't count on cell service on the Skyway or Chinnabee up to Turnipseed.

And welcome to White Blaze/ Pinhoti

Thanks for the welcome!

What are your thoughts on our first night campground? Would the idea of just stopping at Heaven leave too much ground to be covered?

blisterbob
09-30-2014, 16:22
Depending on what time you get started, Heaven or a campsite at the bottom of the stairway that is close to water
would be minimum if you want to finish in 2 1/2 days comfortably. I would shoot for that and then to the Cheaha
shelter on day 2 and 2.3 miles to finish.

Matt65
09-30-2014, 20:02
I think planning this as a two day hike will be very enjoyable. I did this loop as a day hike last December. Your plans will be better than mine were (I had limited time). Link below will have a few maps and pictures from that trip. Look forward to hearing about how your trip went.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=100318

BuddyL
09-30-2014, 20:19
PM sent with my contact info should you need it. Hope you have a great hike!

latechbanjo
10-06-2014, 15:43
PM sent with my contact info should you need it. Hope you have a great hike!

Thanks Buddy!

Any reports on how the water looks on the loop recently?

swisscross
10-09-2014, 19:55
I will be there the same weekend. Doing the same loop, same direction in two days.

Sent PM if intrested or need anything.

martincr70
10-17-2014, 11:54
I plan on doing the loop this Saturday and Sunday. Should I be worried at all about traffic from the Talladega race?

swisscross
10-17-2014, 12:11
I would be worried.
Leave Birmingham as early as possible.
The race on Saturday does not bring as large of a crowd as the main show on Sunday. Traffic might be slower but not really that bad.
The race on Sunday is typically over around 4pm, if I recall correctly. Try to finish up the hike on Sunday around 2pm to beat the traffic.
You don't want to get stuck in that crap Sunday afternoon.

The State Troopers will be out in full force. So no matter what the traffic is like, take your time.

blisterbob
11-15-2014, 19:00
I hiked the Skyway trail last week and it is fairly clear of obstructions and the seasonal
water sources are flowing.