PDA

View Full Version : Trees and Views From the AT, and PCT

diondublin
09-30-2014, 10:03
Complete newbie questions here, so apologies for that.

I have always associated leisure walking (mostly here in England) with great views; i.e. the great views are pretty essential for the enjoyment of the walk. However, I am aware that there is a great deal of forestry on the AT, and had some questions:

1) What percentage of the AT is through forestry, with views limited basically to nearby trees. What are the longest stretches where little but nearby trees will be seen and how long are they?

2) Is it the case that the way the AT happens to fall can be particularly demoralising to a thru hiker south-to-north as good views give way to the lesser excitement of lots of forestry?

3) Is north-to-south better for the spirit, as it were, with an improved order of 'excess tree stress'? Also what is the effect of the other difficulties of the northern end on the 'spirit'?

4) What states/sections are the very best and very worst for views?

5) It seems from cursory research that the Pacific Crest Trail would be better for a hiker who preferred a lot of more 'open' conditions (less forestry). However, is this actually the case in practice? Also, how difficult can the conditions be on the PCT for heat and humidity and other environmental issues? I imagine that humidity would be less of a problem than the AT but would love some advice from those who have real experience.

Thanks very much for any help, opinion and advice.

Adrian

rafe
09-30-2014, 10:27
If you live for views, do the PCT. The AT has its share, but they don't happen every day, that's for sure.

I don't believe the direction of travel has any impact.

Best views on the AT (in my opinion) are in New Hampshire and Maine. But there are gems all along the way. A lot depends on the weather. The high peaks of northern New England are glorious in good weather, but can be socked in, windy, and treacherous in foul weather. This also applies to the Smoky Mountains, since most thru-hikers walk that stretch when it's bound to be cold and wet (alternating with hot and muggy.)

colorado_rob
09-30-2014, 10:38
As a westerner (Colorado), I'm spoiled with great views nearly all the time, so for me, the AT was very mentally trying because you have no views probably 90-95% of the time once the leaves come out. Before the leaves come out it's a tad better, but still not great. Where there ARE views along the AT, it is really quite nice. Except of course horrible weather can spoil some of these views as well if you're unlucky... (as I was; completely fogged in, windy, rainy through a couple otherwise awesome view areas from what I've heard).

The parts of the PCT I've been on have fantastic views 95% of the time (basically inverted from the AT). Then there's the Colorado trail (~480 miles) with views in that same range, maybe 85-90% of the time.

If you decide on the AT, I think NOBO will treat you better as you'll have some "eye relief" when you start in the spring (no leaves yet) and as you say, great views up north to look forward to. But it is a long way from North Carolina (after the Smokies, which has fine views) until you hit consistent views up north. If you go SOBO, you start when the leaves are full out, so when in the forest, no views, and your open views are mostly north, over with when your 1/3rd done with the trail.

garlic08
09-30-2014, 10:42
You've touched on the "green tunnel" effect on the AT. That's actually the reason I hiked the PCT first. By the time I was ready to attempt the AT, I had reasons to hike it other than the views, and ended up really enjoying it for the history, the sociology, the culture, and the botany.

I hiked the PCT largely in the company of a British hiker. Besides the unaccustomed climate conditions, he struggled with the existence of animals that were trying to hurt him, from scorpions and snakes to bears and large cats. Worse for him in the long run, though, was our awful cheese and tea and trying to understand our lingo. But he made it!

Your first long trail is your hardest. The AT was quite a bit easier for me, but those who hike it first usually report that the PCT is easier for them. They both have their share of relative difficulties to the beginning hiker.

Welcome to Whiteblaze, and enjoy your hike, wherever it is.

quasarr
09-30-2014, 10:55
As a Brit, the heat will probably be the hardest thing on the PCT. In southern California, it is VERY hot and VERY dry. (humidity is not exactly a problem, ha!) I really suffered in the section from Hikertown to Kennedy Meadows and I grew up in the American South with extremely hot summers! The desert conditions were very different from what I was used to. It is hot but there are no trees, no shade, no water, nothing but hot hot sand for miles and miles. If I were to do it over again, I would night hike a lot more.

That being said, the worst of the desert is the section I mentioned, which is only 160 miles. Plus it makes the Sierras that much better! Northern CA was hotter than I expected, it was totally fine. And I agree with others that if you want views, you should do the PCT. (although the AT has better cheese!! Vermont Cabot Cheddar is the best!)

Dogwood
09-30-2014, 14:27
You'll definitely get more far reaching often panoramic and a greater variety of views with a PCT thru-hike compared to an AT thru-hike. On the other hand, if you hike the AT NOBO starting at Springer around typical AT thru-hiker timeframes few other hikes gave me such an overwhelming feeling of hiking north with the spring season.

Cosmo
10-01-2014, 21:25
The trick is to find enchantment with the "small"views as well as the big ones. Yes, the AT can be a green tunnel, but the woods are different every day--as most of the land has been used for purposes other than hiking prior to the arrival of the Trail. "Reading the Forested Landscape", by Tom Wessells is an excellent guide to discovering the past life of a forest--especially in southern New England. Also, particularly in my neck of the woods, there are open areas (usually agricultural) that really let a hiker experience the full range of vistas.

Cosmo

Coffee
10-01-2014, 21:56
For me the CT and JMT (which mostly coincides with the PCT) were great for the wide open views and feeling of being on top of the world. I don't get that feeling on the parts of the AT that I'm familiar with but I do get a sense of history and many times have come to enjoy being in the woods rather than above treeline. Also when the leaves are off the trees, there actually are plenty of views on the AT, although obviously not as dramatic as being above treeline. I want to thru hike both the AT and PCT but if I had to choose I would pick the PCT.

10-K
10-02-2014, 06:06
The trick is to find enchantment with the "small"views as well as the big ones. Yes, the AT can be a green tunnel, but the woods are different every day--as most of the land has been used for purposes other than hiking prior to the arrival of the Trail. "Reading the Forested Landscape", by Tom Wessells is an excellent guide to discovering the past life of a forest--especially in southern New England. Also, particularly in my neck of the woods, there are open areas (usually agricultural) that really let a hiker experience the full range of vistas.

Cosmo

I really agree with this and have arrived at the same conclusion. Comparing trails is like comparing girlfriends - obviously you must like them both but you can't really compare them and be fair to either one....

For the longest time I'd get bummed when I'd get to a bald or summit with a view and find it fogged in or whatever.. Then I started noticing how beautiful the fogged in landscape is - sounds a bit nutty but it works for me.

Traveler
10-02-2014, 10:23
Overall, it really depends on the condition of the hiker, season of the year, and time. The AT does have views, but as noted here they can be limited as opposed to the PCT where they are more abundant. The differences in the trail itself are many;

The PCT tends to be trail graded for pack animals, putting the trail at about a 7 degree pitch, translating to many more miles to summit features than the AT would use.

The PCT spends a lot of time at very high elevation, some people this does not affect as much as others but it will be a serious consideration when you are trying to assess the mileage you can do during a day, etc. Though the AT has many summits above 5,000 feet, most hiking is under that altitude.

There are more resupply options on the AT sections than the PCT as a general rule, so you have to carry more food or pre-stash supplies along the way (depending where you will be trekking and if you are day hiking or doing a long distance walk).

Water supplies on the AT tend to be fairly consistent and plentiful as a general rule. The PCT moves through a lot of arid terrain where water is a real issue, which may require you to pre-stash water along your route of travel depending where that is.

Any or all of these basic differences will play a role in your decision along with your physical conditioning, gear quality, and perhaps the most important, the desire to reach the goal.

RockDoc
10-02-2014, 16:25
I like to do a lot of photography on the AT, but it's never the views. It's people, rocks, trees, cabins, plants, and sometimes just the way the light plays on things in the long green tunnel. This sort of work is almost always a low-light proposition, so I carry a tripod and cable release.
On the PCT it would be more about traditional landscape photography, generally with plenty of available light.

brian039
10-02-2014, 16:53
Very few views on the AT and many of them you have to hike off trail to get to them. I don't remember seeing any "scenic view 0.2 miles ->" signs on the PCT. The AT is still nice, just a different kind of nice.

10-K
10-02-2014, 16:58
The AT vs PCT is like Ginger or Mary Ann... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk