PDA

View Full Version : Where will you be for the Total Eclipse on August 21, 2017?

imscotty
09-30-2014, 21:37
August 21st, 2017 will be the first Total Eclipse of the Sun (TES) visible from the continental United States in 38 years. This will be a very exciting event that should attract astronomers and sky watchers from around the world. The path of the eclipse cuts right across the United States and will bisect all three great trails.

It looks like the best viewing on the Appalachian Trail should be from Standing Indian Mountain or Mount Albert. The path of the eclipse goes very near these peaks. I welcome suggestions for other potential viewing sites in this area.

On the CDT it looks like the TES will cross the trail somewhere in the Wind River Range in Wyoming. This location would be the best bet to have clear skies on eclipse day. If you would rather see the eclipse with all the perks of civilization, Jackson Hole looks like one of the nicest locals on eclipse route to establish a base. The center of the eclipse will pass just a little north of town.

The eclipse crosses the PCT in Oregon. The crossing of the trail appears to be well away from any road crossings just north of Mount Jefferson.

Anyone have plans to view the TES along these trails? Any additional viewing locations recommended? I'm thinking combining a Yellowstone Trip and then camping near Jackson Hole the night before the eclipse would be the best bet for me. Better start making those reservations.

saltysack
09-30-2014, 21:42
Looks like another standing indian loop trip...thanks for the heads up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swjohnsey
09-30-2014, 22:16
Went to Mexico for total eclipse, 8 minutes of totality, very interesting.

Speakeasy TN
10-01-2014, 08:34
I didn't have plans before but I guess I do Now! THANKS for the heads up!

colorado_rob
10-01-2014, 09:11
We are already planning on being in the middle of Wyoming, only a couple hundred miles from home, for this event. We had the privilege of seeing an annular eclipse in the middle of the Utah desert a couple years ago; fantastic stuff!

Coffee
10-01-2014, 09:13
I didn't have any plans but I need to think about this now! Given the timing in the summer, lots of possibilities. It so happens that I've entertained the idea of the CDT in 2017 and maybe being in WY at the time of the eclipse would work out well in a NOBO thru hike?

Feral Bill
10-01-2014, 11:39
Thanks for the heads up :).

bigcranky
10-01-2014, 11:48
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

Cool stuff.

full conditions
10-01-2014, 13:31
Grand Teton National Park.

Dogwood
10-01-2014, 13:54
Grand Teton National Park.

Yup, me too. I'll be sure to bring bug juice and a Bible though because shortly after the TES the world will end. :D

colorado_rob
10-01-2014, 14:25
28517Grand Teton NP is definitely one of my favorite NP's, but guys, it will be an absolute ZOO in any NP in the path of a total solar eclipse. Just sayin'! Book whatever you need to book just as soon as you can, of course; hotels, lodges, campgrounds, whatever, they will all be 100% booked just as soon as they can be booked at all.

Wyoming has so many areas away from it all that are spectacular. We're thinking of a Kayak trip to a remote shore of one of the zillions of lakes in the path; one that catches my eye is Bull Lake, off US 287, or Boyson reservoir. Then there is always a nice BP trip into the wind rivers....

Miner
10-01-2014, 17:06
Sounds like 2017 will be a good year to schedule a NOBO CDT thru-hike. Though a most hikers are likely to be a bit north of the full eclipse zone in Wyoming, it still should make for an interesting day and nice photos.

Venchka
10-01-2014, 17:30
Hmmmmm...........
Sailboat. Bicycle. Backpack. Somewhere between Oregon and Wyoming. There is a glimmer of a plan forming.
Thanks for the news.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

rocketsocks
10-01-2014, 17:41
thanks for the heads up Scotty, hadn't heard about this one.

imscotty
10-01-2014, 18:09
Went to Mexico for total eclipse, 8 minutes of totality, very interesting.

Wow, that is exceptional. This eclipse looks to be around 2 1/2 minutes of totality, depending where you are of course.

imscotty
10-01-2014, 18:15
We are already planning on being in the middle of Wyoming, only a couple hundred miles from home, for this event. We had the privilege of seeing an annular eclipse in the middle of the Utah desert a couple years ago; fantastic stuff!

Wyoming seems to be one of the best places (open spaces, less chance of cloud cover) to see this one. Mount Borah, the tallest peak in Idaho, is also on the path of this eclipse. The peak of Mount Borah looks like it would be a grand place to watch the eclipse for the adventurer. I've been looking a photos of 'Chicken Out Ridge' on Mount Borah, and I can see how it earned its name.

colorado_rob
10-01-2014, 19:50
Wyoming seems to be one of the best places (open spaces, less chance of cloud cover) to see this one. Mount Borah, the tallest peak in Idaho, is also on the path of this eclipse. The peak of Mount Borah looks like it would be a grand place to watch the eclipse for the adventurer. I've been looking a photos of 'Chicken Out Ridge' on Mount Borah, and I can see how it earned its name.One tricky little move is all... here's me down climbing it, but remember, Borah is a 5500 vertical foot climb in 3 miles, so be ready for that! Cool place though...

Hikes in Rain
10-01-2014, 20:08
Where will I be? In the hot tub on the deck of a cabin a thousand feet above Lake Watauga. I think the tub is on the west porch. Had no idea when we booked it!

MuddyWaters
10-01-2014, 22:10
I don't recall the last one being that impressive. I watched it at school with two notebook cards with a hole on the top one . got a little dim, less than a good thunderstorm.

Dogtra
10-01-2014, 23:51
Absolutely no idea where I'll be so far into the future... But I thank you for the heads up.

colorado_rob
10-02-2014, 00:42
I don't recall the last one being that impressive. I watched it at school with two notebook cards with a hole on the top one . got a little dim, less than a good thunderstorm.Something tells me that you didn't see a Total eclipse then, partial eclipses are a dime a dozen. It is very rare to live anywhere near a Total eclipse, that's why this one is very special. It should be very dark, only the sun's corona visible. Not everyone's cup of tea, of course, but I'm very excited.

Theosus
10-02-2014, 07:39
My guess? Probably working.

imscotty
10-02-2014, 07:45
One tricky little move is all... here's me down climbing it, but remember, Borah is a 5500 vertical foot climb in 3 miles, so be ready for that! Cool place though...

Colorado Rob, Of course what that picture does not show is the mountain dropping off thousands of feet on either side of that ridge. That would make me pause.

colorado_rob
10-02-2014, 09:19
Colorado Rob, Of course what that picture does not show is the mountain dropping off thousands of feet on either side of that ridge. That would make me pause. It is not really exposed anywhere, meaning if you fell, you'd maybe break a leg or arm, but you would not fall off into oblivion. Still, being on top of a big mountain like Borah is probably not a good idea for an eclipse, because big mountains tend to generate their own weather (air rising and cooling and condensing), and you certainly don't want cloudy weather! I think best to stick with plains and deserts. but climb Borah sometime anyway, cool little mountain and a state high point (my wife and I are doing the 50 state high points, got all the hard ones done, just got the Midwest and east left).

imscotty
01-05-2017, 20:33
Just wanted to bump this....

If you want to see the 2017 eclipse, you had better be making your plans now.

cmoulder
01-05-2017, 20:49
Made plans last year! Have family down in TN just a few miles from the path of totality... even bought the eclipse viewing glasses already.

Going to do Savage Gulf while I'm there, but I'm going to break that news to my wife later, lol. ;)

johnspenn
01-05-2017, 21:09
Looks like Rabun Bald (2nd highest peak in GA) will be a perfect spot if it's clear. Standing Indian and Big Scaly in the Southern Nantahala Wilderness are also contenders.

hikehunter
01-05-2017, 23:34
I made plans in March 2016.
www.eclipse2017.org

Good viewing will be between Winding Stair Gap and Plumborchard Gap.
Did some GPS markers in March 2016.
I would really like to be in Depot Bay, Oregon. That is the bulls eye. You get to watch the shadow come across the ocean at you.
Fontana is a little to north only about 90%
The "total tunnel" is only a couple miles wide.
Standing Indian will be in the 93% range. Franklin is in the 85 to 90% range.
Let us all hope that the weather is clear.

trailmercury
01-05-2017, 23:47
Hopefully still Thru-hiking the AT...probably in Maine by that point...boy, I hope it's a sunny day!
:banana

Alligator
01-06-2017, 00:16
Outside .

shelb
01-06-2017, 00:53
I don't understand science stuff very much, but according to this chart, it appears the eclipse will be most viewable in the path with the lines.... ? I might be in France then, and it appears it will not really be visible, correct? (not that I am bitchin' ... France will be a great place to visit! Just wanted to check!)

Engine
01-06-2017, 06:00
If all goes according to plan, somewhere near Whitehouse Landing in northern Maine...with only a few more days until Katahdin. I'll have to enjoy photos of it...

DuneElliot
01-06-2017, 09:52
Not sure really where I'll be. I only live 90 minutes north of the total eclipse path in Wyoming so I'll probably just drive south to Pathfinder Reservoir and watch it there.

Traveler
01-06-2017, 10:48
I plan to be on the steps of our nations capital showing our vaunted congress I can make the sun vanish. That will be easy, convincing them to fund trail maintenance or i won't bring it back will be slightly harder but worth the energy.

tiptoe
01-06-2017, 13:43
That approach worked for another Connecticut Yankee, didn't it?

FrogLevel
01-06-2017, 14:32
I'll be on Roan Mountain.

imscotty
07-17-2017, 22:54
Flights have been purchased, my plans are in place, I should be viewing the eclipse from PCT on August 21st. Praying for a clear day!

daddytwosticks
07-18-2017, 07:12
It will be directly over me. Our County is bracing for thousands of visitors. All hotel/motel rooms and rental cabins are booked right around that time. I think it will be a lot like w2k. :)

jgillam
07-18-2017, 08:04
How about Clingmans Dome?

imscotty
07-18-2017, 10:59
How about Clingmans Dome?
You need tickets for Clingman's Dome that day, and they are already sold out. Might not be the best plan to view the eclipse in the Smokies anyway, given the likelihood of cloudy weather. I would expect tremendous traffic and gridlock in the Smokies if the weather looks good.

jgillam
07-18-2017, 11:21
You need tickets for Clingman's Dome that day, and they are already sold out. Might not be the best plan to view the eclipse in the Smokies anyway, given the likelihood of cloudy weather. I would expect tremendous traffic and gridlock in the Smokies if the weather looks good.

Thanks for that info...I might have drive down there from Indianapolis.

chknfngrs
07-18-2017, 14:18
St Joseph's, MO

Dogwood
07-18-2017, 19:37
This yr I have another excuse to visit the Foothills Trail -totality. I'll either be standing on a rock in the Chatooga River where GA, NC, and SC meet or at the Mt Sassafras summit. Rabun or Brasstown Bald might work too.

Last Call
07-18-2017, 22:55
This yr I have another excuse to visit the Foothills Trail -totality. I'll either be standing on a rock in the Chatooga River where GA, NC, and SC meet or at the Mt Sassafras summit. Rabun or Brasstown Bald might work too.

Wonder how crowded Sassafras will be....they have a small parking lot, maybe room for 15-20 vehicles?

swjohnsey
07-19-2017, 06:26
There is a site the uses Google maps to show the route of the eclipse. It gives Lat/Lon when you click on a point and the exact times.http://www.eclipsewise.com/solar/SEnews/TSE2017/TSE2017gmap/TSE2017gmapNE.html

JumpMaster Blaster
07-20-2017, 23:09
I made plans in March 2016.
www.eclipse2017.org (http://www.eclipse2017.org)

Good viewing will be between Winding Stair Gap and Plumborchard Gap.
Did some GPS markers in March 2016.
I would really like to be in Depot Bay, Oregon. That is the bulls eye. You get to watch the shadow come across the ocean at you.
Fontana is a little to north only about 90%
The "total tunnel" is only a couple miles wide.
Standing Indian will be in the 93% range. Franklin is in the 85 to 90% range.
Let us all hope that the weather is clear.

Fontana Dam is within the path of totality. That path is about 60 miles wide. While WSG is in a great place (so is Albert Mountain), there are about 140 miles of the AT that will get the full eclipse. Since we're talking about the southeast in August, being in a position to move in case of forecasted cloud cover is one reason I abandoned my plan to hike in, stay overnight, and view the eclipse.

Sarcasm the elf
07-20-2017, 23:32
I'll be sitting behind my desk at my new job and greatful that I'm no longer unemployed. :sun

Dogwood
07-20-2017, 23:51
..While WSG is in a great place (so is Albert Mountain), there are about 140 miles of the AT that will get the full eclipse. Since we're talking about the southeast in August, being in a position to move in case of forecasted cloud cover is one reason I abandoned my plan to hike in, stay overnight, and view the eclipse.

that's what i was thinking albert still have the fire tower

importman77
07-21-2017, 05:35
I live about 6 miles (as the crow flies) outside of the path of totality so I haven't decided whether to just stay home and enjoy an almost total eclipse or drive 8-10 miles to get inside the path. Can anyone give me some kind of an idea how much difference there would be between totality and being just outside the path? I remember experiencing (as a child) the total eclipse in the seventies. Oddly I was living at the same location I live now. I remember my grandparents had chickens and they all went into the coop when it got dark and as it started getting light again a few minutes later the roosters started crowing.

swjohnsey
07-21-2017, 07:16
I live about 6 miles (as the crow flies) outside of the path of totality so I haven't decided whether to just stay home and enjoy an almost total eclipse or drive 8-10 miles to get inside the path. Can anyone give me some kind of an idea how much difference there would be between totality and being just outside the path? I remember experiencing (as a child) the total eclipse in the seventies. Oddly I was living at the same location I live now. I remember my grandparents had chickens and they all went into the coop when it got dark and as it started getting light again a few minutes later the roosters started crowing.

Night and day . . . literally. When you hit totality it is as if someone flipped a switch.

dudeijuststarted
07-21-2017, 09:50
Long Trail! Finally getting another LDH in, so looking forward to it!

dee_hikes
07-21-2017, 10:10
Where would be the best place to camp out in NC to be in place for 8/21 event?

FatMan
07-22-2017, 08:36
In Georgia the entire AT north of Woody Gap is in the TES path. I expect to see some serious crowds on Blood Mtn.

Venchka
07-22-2017, 09:03
I'll be sitting behind my desk at my new job and greatful that I'm no longer unemployed. :sun

There you go. Good job!
Wayne

sfdoc
07-22-2017, 09:40
I should be in NJ, on the Kittatinny Ridge of the AT, with my SF buddies finishing up our leg of a charity hike for the Green Beret Foundation.

Snowleopard
07-22-2017, 11:18
I live about 6 miles (as the crow flies) outside of the path of totality so I haven't decided whether to just stay home and enjoy an almost total eclipse or drive 8-10 miles to get inside the path. Can anyone give me some kind of an idea how much difference there would be between totality and being just outside the path? ...
I've never seen a total eclipse, but everything I've read says that there is a HUGE difference between totality and almost totality. Even 6 miles from the path of totality is probably enough to prevent you from seeing the most striking features of the eclipse. There's a whole large part of the sun (corona) that we can't see because the photosphere is too bright . DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE SUN UNTIL THE ECLIPSE IS TOTAL!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse#Viewing 6 miles from totality you might see Bailey's Beads (the sun peeking through valleys on the edge of the visible moon).

rocketsocks
07-22-2017, 14:38
I've never seen a total eclipse, but everything I've read says that there is a HUGE difference between totality and almost totality. Even 6 miles from the path of totality is probably enough to prevent you from seeing the most striking features of the eclipse. There's a whole large part of the sun (corona) that we can't see because the photosphere is too bright . DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE SUN UNTIL THE ECLIPSE IS TOTAL!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse#Viewing 6 miles from totality you might see Bailey's Beads (the sun peeking through valleys on the edge of the visible moon).its like your wearing sunglasses but you're not, very strange light.

HooKooDooKu
07-22-2017, 14:47

Clingman's Dome is pretty near the edge of totality, so it won't last very long there.
I'm planning on heading to the Sweetwater TN area as it is darn near close to the center of the path of totality. If weather isn't looking so good, I'll look into driving somewhere else.

Kaptainkriz
07-22-2017, 15:08
Caney Fork River, Buffalo Valley, TN.

Dogwood
07-22-2017, 19:38

Does it offer a window and in the path of totality? :cool:

Yeah, I'll take the assignment under one condition... I need an office with a window facing the 2017 totality. Bet no one negotiated a job offer with that stipulation.

Professor Paul
07-24-2017, 00:35
I was planning on driving down to the vicinity of Franklin a couple of days before and hiking someplace on the trail and waiting for it. Is this feasible? I was kind of hoping there wouldn't be crazy crowds on the trail, that most people would stay in "civilized" areas with creature comforts. If it is feasible, are there any particularly good spots in that area in terms of being both remote (as in, you have to hike a good bit to get there and can't just drive up) and with a decent vantage of the sky? I'm a (very long-term) section hiker and not yet familiar with that part of the trail, but I figure this is the best way to knock off that section I'll ever get. Thanks for any insights anyone might have.

Bansko
07-24-2017, 07:01
My brother lives about 20 miles from ground zero of the eclipse, in Fremont County, WY. The locals are being advised to stock up on food/gas beforehand because they expect to be inundated with visitors. Wish I could be there.

daddytwosticks
07-24-2017, 07:06
My brother lives about 20 miles from ground zero of the eclipse, in Fremont County, WY. The locals are being advised to stock up on food/gas beforehand because they expect to be inundated with visitors. Wish I could be there.

This is exactly what local law enforcement in out county is advising. Our county is ground zero with my little town of Andrews dead center in the path. :)

Venchka
07-24-2017, 07:58
This is exactly what local law enforcement in out county is advising. Our county is ground zero with my little town of Andrews dead center in the path. :)

There are places in Wyoming offering a patch of dirt to camp on for a few hundred dollars. I wonder if they got any takers?
Wayne

Bansko
07-24-2017, 10:43
There are places in Wyoming offering a patch of dirt to camp on for a few hundred dollars. I wonder if they got any takers?
Wayne

I'm sure they have a few takers, but it's completely unnecessary. Outside of Alaska, Wyoming is the closest thing to the "great wide open" existing in the U.S. It's mostly BLM and Forest Service land, so if you're paying to camp it's only because you want toilets/water, etc. I know plenty of places in Fremont County where I could drive to and completely legally set up camp gratis, with a fantastic view of the Winds. There might not be anyone around for miles. I was there a few weeks ago and camped on top of a cliff up on Beaver Rim (Fremont County). Incredible views. Judging by the grass growing on the two-track unmaintained road there hadn't been anyone travelling on it for quite a while. BYOW (Bring your own water).

Of course, you'll want a 4WD to get to the good places.

gracebowen
07-24-2017, 12:57
Home wishing I was in the path if totality.

gracebowen
07-24-2017, 12:58
Of totality

Uncle Joe
07-24-2017, 14:16
I would think Albert or Rabun Bald would be good places to be.

soumodeler
07-24-2017, 14:24
I'm beginning to think everywhere is going to be crowded to some degree, even the places several miles off the road.

daddytwosticks
07-24-2017, 16:04
I would think Albert or Rabun Bald would be good places to be.

How about on the open-deck fire tower atop Wesser Bald near the NOC? When the eclipse is done, the aliens can just swoop down and bring me home. :)

Professor Paul
07-24-2017, 23:36
Some good suggestions. The closer I look, the more I see lots of options. The way the trail bends to the NE heading up to Fontana really adds a lot of available miles of trail. Very fortuitous. I imagine that most folks will cluster in a few areas. That's still some pretty remote country down there, so I have a hard time seeing all of it having crowds. The hiking community takes for granted climbs and hikes in general that most eclipse watchers wouldn't even dream of trying, and those are some big hills down there. Even if there is a crowd, it will be worth it.

MuddyWaters
07-25-2017, 08:22
I'm beginning to think everywhere is going to be crowded to some degree, even the places several miles off the road.

Its a bit ridiculous

Virtually no hotel rooms available in totality zone

People know this lasts all of two and half minutes, right?

Then huge traffic congestion leaving

imscotty
07-25-2017, 08:51
Just remember the weather is often cloudy in the mountains. It would be great if it is a clear day, but have a plan B.

kestral
07-25-2017, 18:55
Just remember the weather is often cloudy in the mountains. It would be great if it is a clear day, but have a plan B.

oh Scotty, a great excuse to be hiking is always a good thing. I may be on Albert with my dog.

Kaptainkriz
07-25-2017, 19:02
And the hotels have been sold out for years... getting a room to help with logistics with a college move in was a total pita.

Its a bit ridiculous

Virtually no hotel rooms available in totality zone

People know this lasts all of two and half minutes, right?

Then huge traffic congestion leaving

imscotty
08-01-2017, 16:48
So, I planned my section hike this year on the PCT around the Solar Eclipse. My plan was to hike SOBO from Cascade Locks and be under the path of totality near Jefferson Park on August 21st. I had hoped to get most of Oregon completed. Yesterday, the trails around Jefferson Park were closed due to wildfire. :(

Something will have to give, either the amount I get done on this years section hike or the eclipse. One plan would be to get off trail near Timberland Lodge, fight the eclipse crowds to see the eclipse elsewhere, and then get back on further down the line in Oregon, covering fewer miles. Another idea would be to give up on the eclipse, eat my nonrefundable flights, and go do a Northern CA section.

Not really looking for advice, just ranting a bit here. That and praying to the Rain Gods.

gracebowen
08-05-2017, 02:07
Well my plans have changed. I will be home enjoying the partial eclipse. I am young enough to wait a few years to see a total eclipse. From what I can gather online for The 2024 eclipse I live about 6 miles from totality.

In 2024 I will definitely travel to the path of totality. Likely Lake Georgetown or the Hill Country. Will also double check Canyon Lake.

Professor Paul
08-05-2017, 11:38
So, I planned my section hike this year on the PCT around the Solar Eclipse. My plan was to hike SOBO from Cascade Locks and be under the path of totality near Jefferson Park on August 21st. I had hoped to get most of Oregon completed. Yesterday, the trails around Jefferson Park were closed due to wildfire. :(

Something will have to give, either the amount I get done on this years section hike or the eclipse. One plan would be to get off trail near Timberland Lodge, fight the eclipse crowds to see the eclipse elsewhere, and then get back on further down the line in Oregon, covering fewer miles. Another idea would be to give up on the eclipse, eat my nonrefundable flights, and go do a Northern CA section.

Not really looking for advice, just ranting a bit here. That and praying to the Rain Gods.

I would prioritize the eclipse, personally. It sucks you are forced to choose, but the skipped portions of the PCT will still be there in future years. The eclipse won't.

swjohnsey
08-05-2017, 17:04
There is a good site that has a Google Maps plot of the path of the eclipse. It shows the centerline and when you click on a spot if gives you the Lat/Lon of the spot, exact time of the eclipse at that point. http://www.eclipsewise.com/solar/SEnews/TSE2017/TSE2017gmap/TSE2017gmapNE.html

I'm going south of Omaha, Nebraska, near Lincoln. Pick an east west road near the center line. Find north/south roads that cross and pick a spot where it crosses center line. I have ten spots picked within 50 miles. If one doesn't work out/crowed and can move to another. I have all the points in the GPS and marked on a paper map. .

Traffic Jam
08-05-2017, 17:35
I will be in my backyard, sitting in my chaise lounge.

imscotty
08-05-2017, 17:47
I will be in my backyard, sitting in my chaise lounge.
Are you on the totality path TJ?

Traffic Jam
08-05-2017, 19:55
Are you on the totality path TJ?

Yes. :banana

I hope the weather cooperates...haven't had good luck this year with sky-watching events.

imscotty
08-05-2017, 22:17
Yes. :banana
I hope the weather cooperates...haven't had good luck this year with sky-watching events.

Good for you! Instead of the chaise lounge maybe you should break out the hammock :) I won't be so lucky, it looks like my eclipse plans are going up in flames :(

TexasBob
08-06-2017, 00:49
Its a bit ridiculous Virtually no hotel rooms available in totality zone People know this lasts all of two and half minutes, right? Then huge traffic congestion leaving

A total solar eclipse is one of nature's greatest spectacles even if it only lasts 2.5 minutes. If you see a total eclipse you will never forget it. My wife and I went to Cabo in 1991 to see a total eclipse. As the eclipse progresses toward totality you notice that the sun's brightness and heat are diminishing in intensity. In the shadows cast by trees the tips of leaves act as a pinhole camera and project an image of the eclipse on the ground. You can cause the same effect in the shadow of your hand with your fingers spread. When the eclipse is almost at totality you can see a darkening on the horizon as the moon's shadow races across the earth toward you. During totality the sun's atmosphere, the corona, becomes visible. It is a undulating pearlescent orb surrounding the sun that no photograph or movie can capture in its detail, variation in brightness and movement. Ruby red prominences appear on the edge on the sun's blacked out disk. The air cools, the wind begins to blow and shadow bands move across the ground like waves. Then the moon begins to uncover the sun, totality ends and the eclipse begins to unwind. Is it worth seeing for only 2.5 minutes? I can recall every detail 26 years later like it was yesterday.

Dan Roper
08-06-2017, 09:19
I've experienced one total solar eclipse - I happened to be working in the woods that day as an intern for a timber company. It was neat. But it wasn't something I'd drive to see. I definitely wouldn't drive hours and then deal with crowds and hassles for two minutes of "neat."

Far more meaningful are the hours we spend trudging under heavy packs to reach a Hump Mountain, where we might lay in the grass for 30 minutes, totally relaxed, feeling a cool breeze on our faces.

The serendipitous is usually the most fun, especially when toil is required to "earn it." Those moments just happen and usually can't be pre-arranged. The more we try to orchestrate it the more likely we're in for a let down. Trying to get 2.5 minutes "just right" at great effort (driving for hours) and sometimes at great expense when so much can go wrong is sorta like trying to pull an inside straight.

I live in northwest Georgia, where the eclipse will be near total (briefly). I won't travel to get closer to the swath of totality. There's a good chance I'll be outside because I often am. I won't be driving hours to find an amusement park environment that lasts two minutes (or gets rained out).

Puddlefish
08-06-2017, 10:57
Avoiding traffic, at home.

Tuckahoe
08-06-2017, 13:11
I'll have just arrived in London :bse

Puddlefish
08-06-2017, 13:25
Going to be a lot of sad people if it's a rainy cloudy day.

AtWokman
08-06-2017, 21:56
I'll see you there, if you find my spot that is.
going that Friday to get my spot.

rmitchell
08-07-2017, 16:02
WBIR TV has a link on their web site to a very good interactive map. I'm surprised that TnHiker hasn't mentioned it.

According to the map my house is in 99.45% of totality for 2 1\2 minutes. I am scheduled to work but my job involves onsite travel to businesses and I have some flexibility. Our parts drop is in west Knoxville within the 100% corridor. May have to play it by ear according to cloud cover.

Already there are traffic warnings about stopping on the interstate.

imscotty
08-07-2017, 16:50
Solar Eclipse connoisseurs actually argue about wether it is better to be in the center of the path of totality or at the edge. Just inside the edge the totality may not last long, but I understand the 'edge effects' actually last longer. Best advice I have heard is to be near the center at least once so you can experience that, then you might want to try one eclipse nearer the edge.

All agree that if you are outside of totality, you really have not experienced what an eclipse has to offer.

Traffic Jam
08-07-2017, 22:21
The eclipse is cool and I'm looking forward to it but what fascinates me is the number of people who will be outside at the same time, all focused on the same thing.

I keep imagining people pouring out of businesses and homes...and think about those who won't be able to get outside...sort of like that story of the sun shining for the first time in eons and the kid who was punished and locked away so they couldn't see it (was that an episode on the Twilight Zone?)

:)

Traffic Jam
08-07-2017, 22:23
Good for you! Instead of the chaise lounge maybe you should break out the hammock :) I won't be so lucky, it looks like my eclipse plans are going up in flames :(
No place to hang in my yard.

What have you decided to do?

imscotty
08-07-2017, 23:24
No place to hang in my yard.
What have you decided to do?

I had built my eclipse watching plans around an Oregon PCT section hike. Now, the PCT in Oregon has so many fire closures that I am reluctantly ready to give up on the eclipse and just do a section hike in California. Decision time is Wednesday because I had better mail my resupplies out by then.

rocketsocks
08-08-2017, 01:09
Invariably someone will post somewhere on social media that they waited all night for the eclipse to happen, but they never saw a bloody thing, and there wasn't one cloud in the star lit sky. :D

Dan Roper
08-08-2017, 07:43
It'll be a new moon, so that'll be particularly funny if it happens.

imscotty
08-08-2017, 12:25
Socks, hope you don't mind if I steal this idea for my FB page.

rocketsocks
08-08-2017, 13:17
Socks, hope you don't mind if I steal this idea for my FB page.all yours brother! Have fun with it. :sun

rocketsocks
08-08-2017, 13:19
It'll be a new moon, so that'll be particularly funny if it happens.good point!
"I mean I think I saw peeking out at one point" he he

rocketsocks
08-08-2017, 19:37
It's worth mentioning that if you thought you'd just go out in the back yard like I did to view the eclipse, you may have to get up on your roof to see it...it will coincide with the setting sun. Now that's not to say it will set while being eclipsed, just that in may be below the tree line on the horizon depending how your property is situated. So be ready to find some open ground or gain some elevation if need be. That is all.

rocketsocks
08-08-2017, 23:09
It's worth mentioning that if you thought you'd just go out in the back yard like I did to view the eclipse, you may have to get up on your roof to see it...it will coincide with the setting sun. Now that's not to say it will set while being eclipsed, just that in may be below the tree line on the horizon depending how your property is situated. So be ready to find some open ground or gain some elevation if need be. That is all.
Disregard...looked at wrong time table, my bad!

gpburdelljr
08-13-2017, 16:02
Be careful if you bought eclipse viewing glasses, because some of them may not be safe to view the eclipse.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/eclipse/amazon-recalling-some-solar-eclipse-glasses-week-before-event/463963724

If you have a 35mm camera with a removable lens, you can view the eclipse indirectly. Take the lens off the camera, and point it at the sun with a piece of white paper about six inches behind it. You will see a perfect image of the sun on the paper. Adjust the distance between the lens and the paper to focus. Like a pinhole viewer, but better.

greenmtnboy
08-14-2017, 15:34
I know people who are spending lots of money on this event. Hopefully those who don't have a lot of money to blow on an event like this will get lucky with the weather: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/14/total-solar-eclipse-weather-forecast-as-of-aug-14/?utm_term=.e03d9b558076

tawa
08-14-2017, 17:59
Plan on being out on either KY or Barley Lake near Eddyville, KY,

Hotgin
08-15-2017, 07:39
I plan on being somewhere around the NC/GA border

kestral
08-17-2017, 14:20
Making plans for Albert mountain with my grumpy son who doesn't hike. Hoping this isn't a disaster but it will be possibly a once in a lifetime event (at least for me!). 2 people and a dog in a rainbow 1. Hope the weather is good enough to cowboy camp. Wish me luck.

kestral
08-17-2017, 14:25
Would it be safe to use my I phone camera in selfie mode with sun behind me to view eclipse safely? Too late to buy special glasses, and pinhole method isn't great.

ranger2012
08-17-2017, 14:57
Would it be safe to use my I phone camera in selfie mode with sun behind me to view eclipse safely? Too late to buy special glasses, and pinhole method isn't great.

Just saw this article: http://www.businessinsider.com/solar-eclipse-2017-how-to-take-photos-of-the-eclipse-2017-8

RangerZ
08-18-2017, 07:28
At my doctors getting poked and prodded. Talk about a lack of planning and foresight six months ago when I made the appointment.

Pastor Bryon
08-18-2017, 21:35
Taking the family to join the festivities in Sweetwater, TN!

Theosus
08-19-2017, 09:00

Yes. The iphone will only get as bright as the screen normally does in full white. There are some concerns about burning out sensors when pointed directly at the sun, but your eyes will be just fine. I'd be more worried about being able to see the screen in the sun!

MuddyWaters
08-19-2017, 11:42
Welding goggles or helmet? Try home depot.
Auto darkening ones will generally go dark enough.
My cheap helmet has #11 lens, not as dark as recommended 12+, but if only glancing at it momentarily would be fine ( ive done so, i can look at sun thru it)

When we was kids we stared at sun
Not saying its not bad
Just a bit overblown
The problem is people staring for an hour
Not a few sec

When my wifes little bro was 18 and started working construction, he watched welders weld the first day. No eye protection. Welders would tell him "watch the arc" , meaning look away, he thought they meant to actually watch it.:rolleyes:...His eyes burned, they swelled shut that night. He couldnt see for a couple days. Just stayed in dark. No long term damage.

TexasBob
08-19-2017, 13:00
My cheap helmet has #11 lens, not as dark as recommended 12+, but if only glancing at it momentarily would be fine ( ive done so, i can look at sun thru it)

You should have a #14 welders glass to safely look at the sun during the eclipse.

MuddyWaters
08-19-2017, 13:06
You should have a #14 welders glass to safely look at the sun during the eclipse.
Safe is relative, it depends on how long the exposure is.
Recommendations err on side of caution, because many people are idiots. They have to assume you will stare at it continuously for hours. Not by look for a couple seconds.

I watched 1979 eclipse. If not in totality zone, its pretty underwhelming. Even at significant coverage.

Speakeasy TN
08-19-2017, 13:23
I'm leaning towards Rabun Bald and a day or 2 early.

TexasBob
08-19-2017, 16:58
Safe is relative, it depends on how long the exposure is.
Recommendations err on side of caution, because many people are idiots. They have to assume you will stare at it continuously for hours. Not by look for a couple seconds.

I watched 1979 eclipse. If not in totality zone, its pretty underwhelming. Even at significant coverage.

Must be nice to know more than the experts.

rocketsocks
08-19-2017, 17:38
Welding goggles or helmet? Try home depot.
Auto darkening ones will generally go dark enough.

When we was kids we stared at sun
Not saying its not bad
Just a bit overblown
The problem is people staring for an hour
Not a few sec

When my wifes little bro was 18 and started working construction, he watched welders weld the first day. No eye protection. Welders would tell him "watch the arc" , meaning look away, he thought they meant to actually watch it.:rolleyes:...His eyes burned, they swelled shut that night. He couldnt see for a couple days. Just stayed in dark. No long term damage.ah yes, thee old "sand in the eyes" syndrome, I weld with a #10 but a twelve to fourteen would surely provide plenty of protection. But like you said, people are iggits so they gotta protect those that fail to do the research...hence, #14.

Feral Bill
08-20-2017, 02:54
In Salem OR right now. Should be fun!

Rain Man
08-20-2017, 07:58
Bridgestone Firestone Centennial Wilderness a couple of hours east of Nashville.

Am looking forward to that predicted 10-degree drop in temps!!!

Dan Roper
08-21-2017, 16:44
Any post-eclipse reports yet?

They're apt to run 3:1, "Uh, that was it?"

Kaptainkriz
08-21-2017, 17:12
Profoundly speechless:

Any post-eclipse reports yet?

They're apt to run 3:1, "Uh, that was it?"

Kaptainkriz
08-21-2017, 17:14
That was next to the Caney Fork River in TN.

Gambit McCrae
08-21-2017, 17:24
I was in Sparta, TN - - I was directly on the totality line and it was amazing

rocketsocks
08-21-2017, 17:34
I think I saw a spaceship, I mean I know I did...pretty sure.

RangerZ
08-21-2017, 18:47
At my doctors getting poked and prodded. Talk about a lack of planning and foresight six months ago when I made the appointment.

Post-eclipse report: not as poked and prodded as I feared. :banana

Slo-go'en
08-21-2017, 19:42
Only parcel here, will have to wait until 2024 for a total eclipse in NH. But I did get this spooky looking picture through a piece of smoked glass.

Feral Bill
08-21-2017, 19:45
Fabulous viewing in Oregon. I'll post photos when I get home.

TexasBob
08-21-2017, 20:58
Any post-eclipse reports yet? They're apt to run 3:1, "Uh, that was it?"

I removed this post because it was mean and I should not have posted it.

Venchka
08-21-2017, 21:08
Spoken like someone who has never seen a total eclipse and has no idea what they are talking about. Welcome to "Grumpy Old Man" club Dan.

The truth is probably somewhere between "Is that all there is?" and the over the top emotional response of a TV person.
I missed everything. The eclipse and Bonnie Tyler. Bummer.
Apparently Nebraska was uncrowded.
Wayne

rocketsocks
08-21-2017, 21:18
Post-eclipse report: not as poked and prodded as I feared. :bananaMoooon River :D

rocketsocks
08-21-2017, 21:20
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9-zf2UBp7fY

soumodeler
08-21-2017, 21:31
Absolutely amazing experience. I was on top of Siler Bald (along with an estimated 500+ others!!!) and we ended up with perfect skies just in time. Already looking forward to the next one!

gracebowen
08-22-2017, 00:35
Slogoen i downloaded that pic.

Stone1984
08-22-2017, 07:04
That was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I was speechless. I have told my kids that we will chase the one in 2024, that was to good of an experience not to see again.

HooKooDooKu
08-22-2017, 10:59
T R A F F I C !!!
I knew things were going to be pretty bad. So I tried taking a relatively back-roads path between Andrews, NC and Birmingham, AL. But what I apparently didn't plan for was all the people from the Atlanta area using these same roads to get home too. The 4.5 hour drive the night before was a 8+ hour drive back home. At one point, my wife made note that it took us 1 hour to move 1 mile. About the only thing I did right was to fuel up as much as possible the night before driving up. So at least I wasn't sweating about how much gas was left in the tank while stuck in traffic (go home with over 100 miles of fuel left in the tank).

DownEaster
08-22-2017, 11:06
Pretty disappointing here: only a partial, and we had morning clouds. Somebody was hitting the dimmer switch for a while, is all it amounted to. Luckily, not my first eclipse.

hipbone
08-22-2017, 11:16
WOW. Saw it from Standing Indian Mountain....WOW...

HooKooDooKu
08-22-2017, 11:19
The eclipse itself was great.
There were some dark clouds in the sky, and got real worried when one came between us and the sun 5 minutes before totality. But fortunately enough, it mostly moved on in time for the big show.
Couldn't believe how it pretty much still looked like the middle of the day with just a sliver of the sun still shining, and then in just a few seconds, it became twilight. The change was more dramatic than what I was expecting.

theinfamousj
08-22-2017, 12:25
Bye Eclipse. I will miss you. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170822/326f6d34a4574f9f2a3d779e3dad934e.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
08-22-2017, 13:12
The next totality event in the continental US is in 2024 and passes directly over Katahdin

Plan accordingly. :sun

Stone1984
08-22-2017, 14:45
The next totality event in the continental US is in 2024 and passes directly over Katahdin

Plan accordingly. :sun

I didn't even look to see if it was going over Katahdin. I already promised my son we would chase the next one this sounds like I could do 2 of the things I love the most at one time.

Slo-go'en
08-22-2017, 16:40
The next totality event in the continental US is in 2024 and passes directly over Katahdin Plan accordingly. :sun

On April 8th. Good luck with that. We'll probably have a Nor'easter that day !

Disco
08-22-2017, 17:23
https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/@4957605?iso=20240408

As Slo-go'en reminds us .... early April 2024 will bring a total solar eclipse to Baxter Peak, but will anyone be up there to see it?

Professor Paul
08-22-2017, 21:32
Absolutely amazing experience. I was on top of Siler Bald (along with an estimated 500+ others!!!) and we ended up with perfect skies just in time. Already looking forward to the next one!

I was there too! That was one of the most amazing, powerful experiences of my life. Everything about that place at that time was pure perfection.

Kaptainkriz
08-22-2017, 21:47
Finally got my eclipse video done (shot with iPhone6 and cheap zoom lens). Seeing totality makes me want to do a winter trek up Baxter. I've got to see this again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KEyaW2ygsA

Alligator
08-23-2017, 00:51
Kefauver Park. Spectacular!

The Google put everyone on the backroads because all the main highways were jammed.

Hotgin
08-23-2017, 01:07
I was on Standing Indian!!! Wow one of the most amazing things I've witnesssed in person... and i was able to get drone footage from the guy next to me... I had hiked from unicoi gap two days prior on a hike to Albert MTN I had planned for a yr without knowledge of the eclipse....

Feral Bill
08-23-2017, 10:52

The eclipse from Salem OR. Note the sunspots in the second picture, a great focusing aid.

hipbone
08-23-2017, 11:14
I was on Standing Indian!!! Wow one of the most amazing things I've witnesssed in person... and i was able to get drone footage from the guy next to me... I had hiked from unicoi gap two days prior on a hike to Albert MTN I had planned for a yr without knowledge of the eclipse....

Might have met you up there! Perfect weather for it and a good crowd

Mags
08-23-2017, 11:18
I was in the Nebraska Panhandle. Some of the least amount of light pollution in the US, low population, wide open spaces.

The eclipse was one of the most amazing things I've seen.

FlyPaper
08-23-2017, 12:32
Enjoyed it in Columbia, SC with family and friends. Sun was unobstructed by clouds from about 1:40pm (1 hour before totality) until long after the eclipse. Awesome experience, perhaps once in a lifetime.

George
08-23-2017, 13:28
Lusk creek wilderness in Shawnee forest - first place I thought of when the daughter called about the event - ended up excellent, and will work for april 2024 as it is in the intersection of the paths

Traffic Jam
08-29-2017, 20:21
Report, Scotty!

Mags
08-29-2017, 21:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAEUYM4Een4&feature=youtu.be