PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a solo shelter to suit my style

JJMorse
09-30-2014, 22:08
If it isn't raining and doesn't look like it's going to, I much prefer to sleep in just the "net" of my tent without the rain fly attached. I love being exposed, seeing the sky etc. In fact, if there is no rain AND no bugs I almost always cowboy camp.

The problem is when sleeping in just the net of my tent, it's a process to get up in the middle of the night and attach + stake out the fly if it does start to rain. I'm not exactly sure what I'm after, but I'd love to find a shelter that allows for the rain fly to be "kind of" attached to the tent when I go to sleep at night, in a way that makes it very easy finish the setup in a pinch if I guessed wrong and it starts to rain overnight.

Looking for lightweight, under 2 pounds or so. 2.5lbs max. I carry trekking poles. Full bug protection is a requirement. Room for my pack, or a vestibule where I could put my pack is a great feature too.

Thanks for any suggestions!

10-K
09-30-2014, 22:20
Not *exactly* what you're looking for but you can pitch the TarpTent Contrail like you're going to sleep in it, then remove the trekking pole so that the tent collapses and lays flat on the ground. You can cowboy on top of it, and if it starts to rain you can pitch it in a matter of seconds by putting the trekking pole back and jumping in.

July
09-30-2014, 22:24
If it isn't raining and doesn't look like it's going to, I much prefer to sleep in just the "net" of my tent without the rain fly attached. I love being exposed, seeing the sky etc. In fact, if there is no rain AND no bugs I almost always cowboy camp.

The problem is when sleeping in just the net of my tent, it's a process to get up in the middle of the night and attach + stake out the fly if it does start to rain. I'm not exactly sure what I'm after, but I'd love to find a shelter that allows for the rain fly to be "kind of" attached to the tent when I go to sleep at night, in a way that makes it very easy finish the setup in a pinch if I guessed wrong and it starts to rain overnight.

Looking for lightweight, under 2 pounds or so. 2.5lbs max. I carry trekking poles. Full bug protection is a requirement. Room for my pack, or a vestibule where I could put my pack is a great feature too.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sounds like you are describing a ul TENT. If in doubt, just set everything up before laying down. Saves alot of scramble during the middle of the night when you could just be snoozing.

Tuckahoe
09-30-2014, 22:34
These might fit the bill for you.

The SMD Skyscape Trekker, Scout or X https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html?redirected=1

Or
a Lightheart Gear Solo http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents

BuckeyeBill
09-30-2014, 23:06
Not *exactly* what you're looking for but you can pitch the TarpTent Contrail like you're going to sleep in it, then remove the trekking pole so that the tent collapses and lays flat on the ground. You can cowboy on top of it, and if it starts to rain you can pitch it in a matter of seconds by putting the trekking pole back and jumping in.

+1 I really like this idea. I am hearing of more people sleeping on their ul tents.

Buckeye Bill

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Franco
09-30-2014, 23:18
Take a look at the Tarptent Notch.
You can leave the 4 side panels full open so that you have full side views and air flow and most of the sky view, in fact all of it just by moving your head a little bit.
Takes 30 seconds to then close all four panels if you need to and in the meantime you already have some rain protection.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Notch/NotchLX2_zps3754877c.jpg

Franco
09-30-2014, 23:20
BTW. obviously 1 panel is down in that photo but you can work it out looking at the near side

Franco
09-30-2014, 23:25
I am part of Tarptent so that was a highly biased comment, still I think that it is pretty close to your 'wants"
franco@tarptent

BuckeyeBill
09-30-2014, 23:50
Take a look at the Tarptent Notch.
You can leave the 4 side panels full open so that you have full side views and air flow and most of the sky view, in fact all of it just by moving your head a little bit.
Takes 30 seconds to then close all four panels if you need to and in the meantime you already have some rain protection.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Notch/NotchLX2_zps3754877c.jpg

+1Franco. That's one of the reasons I went with the TT Notch.

Buckeye Bill

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Lyle
10-01-2014, 08:36
For virtually any tent:

1) Set up tent.
2) Lay out sleeping bag next to it.
3) Go to sleep.
4) If it rains, crawl into tent.
5) Go back to sleep.

Lyle
10-01-2014, 08:39
OK, so you want bug protection, a simple 2 oz net will provide that while cowboy camping.

Another Kevin
10-01-2014, 10:19
Franco doesn't mention that you need to add a couple of short lengths of Spectra cord to the Notch before you can open all four panels. But it's great being able to do that. I have the half-solid inner tent for wind protection in cooler weather, but with the panels open I still get decent ventilation when it's warm.

steve0423
10-01-2014, 10:34
Lightheart solo

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/12629/tj12629_123111_160805_647773.jpg?20111231160811

chall
10-01-2014, 12:16
I have the Lightheart Solong 6. Just under two pounds for a huge amount of tent. You and all your gear will easily fit with room to spare. Nice awning option so that even if it is lightly raining, you can still have a view of outside. Lots of view potential with sides rolled up.

Del Q
10-01-2014, 20:43
Copy Solong 6..............spacious, love all of the options. Heading out on Saturday, cannot wait to be tenting out on the AT

archie
10-01-2014, 23:22
I agree with the lightheart suggestions. I have a solo and you are describing my tent perfectly. Give it a try.

Arch

rafe
10-01-2014, 23:55
I can see some similarities between the Solong 6 and the Tarptent Rainbow. Grrr. I do NOT need and cannot afford another tent! That Solong looks nice.

JJMorse
10-03-2014, 16:58
Thanks all! I really like the looks of the Tarptent Notch. I think it's what I'm after. The others were great suggestions too. I wish I could just try them all...

Treehugger
10-06-2014, 10:52
I have a SMD Skyscape Scout for sale. Barely used. $85!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
10-06-2014, 14:02
I'd cowboy camp every night if weather allowed because I enjoy seeing the sky, being closer to Nature, etc. I often employ a catenary cut tarp as shelter set up in A-frame style. Each side I usually have three stakes. If I suspect it may rain overnight on the off chance I set up the tarp as basically a lean-to with one side all staked down and with only one stake, the corner stake at the foot end, on the other side of the tarp staked. I keep the other two side stakes nearby. At the head end corner guy out line I attache a small rock or stick and fold it over the erected side of the tarp. In the middle of the night if the pitter patter starts, while still in my quilt/bag, I can flip the not erected side of the tarp back over and stake it out by hand.

10-K
10-06-2014, 14:34
Took my Oware tarp out for a couple of nights this past weekend. Pitching the sides low and tying the front to a large tree and using my umbrella to block the wind I stayed warm and cozy. I love the space and being able to set stuff on the ground next to the tyvek yet still protected under the tarp. This pic was taken at 4150' elevation with temps in the low 30s at night.

My wife has taken over my cuben LH Solo.. :)

mark schofield
10-07-2014, 16:18
http://store.eurekatent.com/solitaire-tent
I used one of these for about 5 years until I bought a TT Contrail. Too vad it's entry level because it seems to have just what you want. A bit heavy at 2.8 lbs. he thing is virtually bomb proof.

bobp
10-07-2014, 18:26
http://store.eurekatent.com/solitaire-tent
I used one of these for about 5 years until I bought a TT Contrail. Too vad it's entry level because it seems to have just what you want. A bit heavy at 2.8 lbs. he thing is virtually bomb proof.

I've used these tents, and I've had good experiences. Don't get one if you need to be able to sit up in your tent. If you can find a Gossamer (earlier version of the Solitaire with aluminum poles) used or a Canadian Solitaire (also has aluminum poles), buy it. If you need to go with a US Solitaire, buy it from the Eureka Outlet and get a set of replacement poles from Tentpole Technologies (about $55). If you have to pay full price for a Solitaire, skip it. The fiberglass poles are junk, and the extra money for replacement aluminum poles would be better spent on a better tent.

meat803
10-17-2014, 11:06
Zpacks hexamid duplex. 20oz A little pricey but you get what you pay for. The tent is perfection.