PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a great 3 day hike in Virginia.

Spcshiznit
10-01-2014, 09:10
I've hiked the Georgia leg of the AT a few times, but really nothing beyond that. I have a week off of work coming up at the end of the month and I was looking for a great 3 day hike. I'll be taking along a friend that's never hiked before, so I don't think I'll want it to be too challenging. A lot of ridge walking would be amazing. I'm just looking for some great suggestions from some vets that have hiked that section before. Thanks ahead of time to all those who can help me out! -Dave

saltysack
10-01-2014, 09:13
The 40 mile stretch sobo into Damascus is by far my favorite on the southern AT...get MRO or lone wolf to shuttle u hike back to your car...I did in lil over 2 days...good 13 mpd hikr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafe
10-01-2014, 09:29
Virginia covers a lot of ground. Saltysack's idea sounds good to me. If you want to avoid "strenuous," skip the section between Daleville and Waynesboro (even though it is quite beautiful.) Shenandoah National Park has mellow trail, great views, and easy access.

Also... skip anything in VA north of Front Royal. :) Only a thru-hiker or 2000 miler would do that.

Coffee
10-01-2014, 09:53
I've hiked the Georgia leg of the AT a few times, but really nothing beyond that. I have a week off of work coming up at the end of the month and I was looking for a great 3 day hike. I'll be taking along a friend that's never hiked before, so I don't think I'll want it to be too challenging. A lot of ridge walking would be amazing. I'm just looking for some great suggestions from some vets that have hiked that section before. Thanks ahead of time to all those who can help me out! -Dave

I would suggest the Central District of Shenandoah National Park. The total distance is 34.6 miles and the terrain should be moderate enough to complete the hike over three days assuming that your friend is in reasonably good physical shape. I would start at Swift Run Gap and hike north to either Lewis Mountain Campground or Bearfence Mountain Hut on day 1 (9-10 miles). On day 2, you can hike to either Rock Spring Hut (10.5 miles from Bearfence Mountain Hut or hike to Skyland and stay at the lodge (14.4 miles from Bearfence Mountain Hut). Along the way, you can stop at the Big Meadows wayside for restaurant food and/or resupply. Then hike to Thornton Gap on the final day (14 miles from Rock Spring hut or 10.4 miles from Skyland). An option to shorten the final day would be to end at Pinnacles Picnic Area (would cut 5.5 miles from the trip) but then you would miss Mary's Rock which is definitely a highlight of the central district.

You could arrange a shuttle to get back to your car or try to hitch a ride. I've never hitched in SNP but have read that it isn't hard to get a ride. Come to think of it, maybe hitch on the first day from Thornton Gap to Swift Run Gap and then hike back to your car for less uncertainty as you finish the hike.