PDA

View Full Version : NeoAir xlite

stilllife
10-01-2014, 11:39
I discovered a pin hole in my Neo Air on the first night out with it over the weekend. Needless to say I slept on a hard ground. I was only out for one night. I am glad I was not on a 3 night trip or I would have been screwed. Sleep is important to me as well as comfort. I was trying to save weight. Anyway, this has made me gun shy of getting another pad that is so fragile. I am considering the Exped downmat 7 now. Any suggestions on my delima.
Thanks

10-K
10-01-2014, 11:46
My personal opinion is that it's not "If" but "When" my Neoair is going to get a hole in it. I've got (I think) 4 of them in the gear room that have holes. I can't imagine using a patched air mattress on a hike so I'm not sure what to do with them as I wouldn't be comfortable selling them either.

But, there are people who have been using the same Neoair since the Paleolithic age so there's that.... :)

HooKooDooKu
10-01-2014, 12:45
Needless to say I slept on a hard ground.
Did you not have the repair kit and the ability to use it? Unless I'm mistaken, the xlite comes with a repair kit (that seemed like the #1 complaint when the NeoAir 1st came out... how could a sleeping pad that cost as much as some tents not come with a repair kit?).

My personal opinion is that it's not "If" but "When" my Neoair is going to get a hole in it.
If treated correctly, why would a Neoair ever get a hole in it?... with the possible exception of a manufacturing defect where a neoair fails along a seem.

When it comes to gear that I've spent $$$ on, I take a little bit of extra time to ensure it's taken care of. Before laying down my ground cloth for my tent, I make sure sharp sticks (and even some seeds) are out from under it. If I'm setting up in a shelter, I make sure I have a ground cloth under my Neoair to make sure I don't get a hole because of a splinter or nail.

Studlintsean
10-01-2014, 12:45
I always bring the patch kit with me whether I am out for 1 night or 5 nights (tough to get away for much longer than that). That should at least by me enough time to get a replacement.

10K- I see no issue with you selling the ones with holes assuming you disclosed the holes in the description (which I am sure you would do). In fact, some folks would probably love to try a Neoair but can't afford one and would jump on the chance to buy one (that is currently unused) at a very steep discount. Just a thought.

10-K
10-01-2014, 12:49
If treated correctly, why would a Neoair ever get a hole in it?...

You would need to ask all of us who have Neoairs with holes in them.... :) Like I said, there are people who use them forever and ever and have no problems. Then there are people like me and the OP (and scores more I'm sure) who have terrible luck with them.

10K- I see no issue with you selling the ones with holes assuming you disclosed the holes in the description (which I am sure you would do). In fact, some folks would probably love to try a Neoair but can't afford one and would jump on the chance to buy one (that is currently unused) at a very steep discount. Just a thought.

A good thought.. I'll think about that. I'm not going to use them - I just pick up a replacement when one goes flat.

Starchild
10-01-2014, 12:55
10-K seeing you profile pict just wondering if the dog had anything to do with the amount of holes in them?

I am pretty sold on the NeoAir and used it on some rough grounds at times. But always pack the repair kit.

But with that said I don't think I would really be up to finding the hole, patch kit and make the repair late at night. So it would be one uncomfortable night before I could do this. Sometimes it may require immersing in water to find a hole I would think, not something I want to do a 3 am.

colorado_rob
10-01-2014, 13:11
My personal opinion is that it's not "If" but "When" my Neoair is going to get a hole in it. I've got (I think) 4 of them in the gear room that have holes. I can't imagine using a patched air mattress on a hike so I'm not sure what to do with them as I wouldn't be comfortable selling them either.

But, there are people who have been using the same Neoair since the Paleolithic age so there's that.... :) Yep, I'm one of those... about 60 trail nights (10 weeks) on my Xlite, still works perfectly. I did have an older model that finally after over 100 nights sprung a small leak that I could not find, so I sent it off to the manufacturer (Sierra Designs????) and they sent my a brand new Neo Air xlite for free. Can't beat their customer service! All I can say is that you should pack a patch kit, but yeah, I know a hole might be hard to find and a pain in the butt in the field.

So, 10K: send your 4 holey Neo Airs in for doG's sake. Why would you not?

stilllife
10-01-2014, 14:05
I did have the repair kit but I could not find the leak. It was also dark. I do take care of my equipment. It was unfortunate, but I'm pretty sure the hole was there when it came in the mail. It was also on the top edge that was not contacting the ground. I found it the next morning and it was was so small the naked eye would never see it.

July
10-01-2014, 14:10
I hiked with a person last year who had completed the PCT and AT using the same neoair. After all those miles it was still going strong.

10-K
10-01-2014, 16:00
It took me 2 to get through the PCT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
10-01-2014, 16:06
I had one and used it on about three trips. Did not like it. Returned it to REI for a full length Prolite. Way easier to inflate, more durable, and quite. Sure, I gave up some comfort, but sleep better knowing it's less likely to spring a leak. :)

MuddyWaters
10-02-2014, 23:16
I'm quite fond of my xlites.
I do baby them.
Always have cuben groundsheet, rain gear, maps, clothing, spare zip locks, etc under them. No problems yet. Keep safe look y tucked away in pack away fro walls so thorn can't penetrate them.

I have seen others in a shelter treat them rough. Flop down on them, put the directly onfloor, sit on them concentrating load in one spot, etc.

Malto
10-02-2014, 23:28
I am sitting with a highly experienced group of hikers and here is our answer....

patch the the mat with tenacious tape or super glue and use a ground sheet. This patch has worked for thousands of miles.

swjohnsey
10-03-2014, 09:21
Neoairs are pretty tough. Mine lasted without a hole but it did come with a patch kit.

stilllife
10-03-2014, 13:12
I've decided to try the Xtherm this time. I'm still weight conscious. And its almost winter.