PDA

View Full Version : Hike Timeline Bear Mountain NY- NJ

CAQuinn
10-01-2014, 12:52
I live in CA, and am meeting my brothers in NY to hike for a few days and are trying to plan. I wanted to know if anyone knows an approximate timeline to get from Bear Mountain, NY to just about West Milford, NJ. The original plan was to go on into PA, but I think our time constraints won't allow it. We are all in very good shape and can easily hike 7-10 hrs/day. I'm not super familiar with the terrain there, but I'd imagine the trail is fairly popular and well maintained due to its proximity to NYC and the Hudson Valley. Thanks for any info on this small section.

rafe
10-01-2014, 13:50
It's less than 40 miles from Bear Mtn Bridge to then NY-NJ state line (near S. end of Greenwood lake.) Most folks should be able to do 10-12 mile days in that neighborhood. There is one tough section, between Island Pond Outlet and Wildcat Shelter. There's some trail relocation going on, on West Mtn. Don't expect crowds (though that may happen.) Between NY 17 and the state line, I saw no humans at all for about two days straight.

CAQuinn
10-01-2014, 17:42
Thanks so much. Appreciate the info.