PDA

View Full Version : Who was in Boy Scouts/ Is an Eagle Scout?

Gambit McCrae
10-01-2014, 15:06
I got my Eagle in 2005 along with 3 palms. I still stay somewhat active in scouting volunteering as a Commissioner and sit in on roundtables. It is where I learned of my love for the outdoors and have countless great memories of those days.

Pedaling Fool
10-01-2014, 15:10
Talk about "blazing":D

As we say in the navy: Standby for heavy rolls:)

And for some posts this may be more applicable: All hands brace for shock:D

BuckeyeBill
10-01-2014, 15:19
I got my Eagle Award in 1974. I still remember many things from Scouting and I'm glad I was part of it in my youth.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Another Kevin
10-01-2014, 15:24
I've discussed my mixed experiences as both Scout and Scouter in the past. It's a great program, that unfortunately didn't work out well for me as either participant or leader.

runt13
10-01-2014, 15:26
Never did make Eagle, but was in the scouts from 1974 to 1983, Troop 14, Panther patrol, Metuchen New Jersey.

Don H
10-01-2014, 15:27
Eagle in 1972 and have been a Scoutmaster for the last 8 years.

The first time I ever stepped foot on the AT was as a young Scout in 1969.
I take my Scouts on the AT every year. If it wasn't for Scouting a whole lot of boys would never seen the AT.

July
10-01-2014, 15:29
Does anyone remember the "pine wood derby"? :)

runt13
10-01-2014, 15:32
Yup! still have the cars. 6 or 7 of them. My grandfather and I built them hen the rain kept us inside.

Tuckahoe
10-01-2014, 15:33
Late 70s through 1987. Pack 25 and Troop 67 in Norfolk, and Troop 55 in Chesapeake, Virginia. Only made it as far as 1st class though.

Sarcasm the elf
10-01-2014, 15:35
Received mine in the winter of 2000.

Sarcasm the elf
10-01-2014, 15:36
Does anyone remember the "pine wood derby"? :)

I'd bet good money that my parents still have my cars somewhere in the attic.

samb.
10-01-2014, 15:38
2008 eagle. Troop 195 out of Louisville, Ky. Not active anymore now that I am in the Marine Corps, but still know some of the younger guys in the troop who are about to head into venturing crews or are about to pick up eagle.

rafe
10-01-2014, 15:39
I was in Cub Scouts, then a Boy Scout for a short while. Hated it. Our one "camping" trip was a disaster. My interest in hiking and camping only developed years later as a young adult.

Sarcasm the elf
10-01-2014, 15:39
Received mine in the winter of 2000.

My first time on the A.T. was a sobo dayhike somewhere between Salisbury and Kent in CT back when I was twelve, we then stayed at a scout camp in the area that has since since been closed.

chall
10-01-2014, 15:40
Eagle Scout, 2005 out of Yardley, PA.

Chair-man
10-01-2014, 15:42
Let me tell you my experience with scouting.

When I was a very young boy somewhere between 7 & 10 years old I wanted to join the Cub Scouts because I wanted to go camping. My parents didn't camp. So I begged my mom to let me join. I can remember my mom taking me to the department store to buy one of those uniforms that make you look like a catholic school boy. And I can remember my mom saying to me "are you sure you want to do this? Don't have me buy this stuff if you're not going to stick with this". I said I'm sure mom and she bought it.

The first meeting was with a den mother and a bunch of other cub scouts and we went over the book and some other stuff at the den mother's house. The 2nd week we met at the den mothers house again and did pretty much the same thing and I asked the den mother when we were going to go camping and she said that we were not going to go camping and that we just meet at her house once a week to learn camping.

Needless to say I quit and my mom said "I knew you wouldn't stick with it, you know you wasted a lot of money, those scouting clothes don't come cheap" LOL that was my only experience with scouting.

bangorme
10-01-2014, 16:19
I was a scout for about 5 years in Connecticut and Pennsylvania. First time I hiked the AT was in the scouts. When I moved back to Maine in the 7th grade, all the troop did was "hike" the roads (ironic, isn't it?), so I left it.

My daughter wanted to be a Girl Scout, but the troop was full... except for well-off kids. They opened another troop for everyone else, but it was just to placate everyone and never did anything. My daughter left it after about a month.

peakbagger
10-01-2014, 16:25
I was an eagle scout and involved with the program as an adult. The original leaders of our scout troop were mostly WW2 vets and their idea of camping was car camping. Around the mid seventies the backpacking boom was really kicking in and we worked our tails off fundraising for better tents. We were thinking nylon backpacking tents but the adults went to LLBeans and bought a new set of LL Bean Pine Tree lodges that weighed in around 50 pounds each :(. My father was never an outdoor person and there wasn't a lot of outdoors in my family so it was my only exposure to the outdoors. As an adult I assisted a local scout troop for about 10 years, its a rural community and the number of scouting age children is far lower than previously plus youth sports and video games tended to eat into the membership. Combine that with many parents who believe that their participation level is to pick up and drop off their children and after awhile its tough to run a good program.

Much as folks will pick on scout troops, I see very few programs that are successful in introducing youths to the woods and my observation in that if kids dotn get in the woods when they are young they rarely pick it up as adults.

Tipi Walter
10-01-2014, 16:31
HAZING
My experience with the cub scouts in 1958-59-60 was very good---blue uniforms and all. Got my first Sears 9lb sleeping bag with them and did some serious backpacking. Loved the Bear and Wolf patches etc. Then I moved to Texas in '62 and joined a Boy Scout troop led by a ape-like silverback who believed in hazing and belt lines. What's a belt line? All the kids stand in a line with their legs spread and you crawl between on your hands and knees while getting hit with belts. Sort of like a Pawnee gauntlet.

I lost interest real fast but heck I'm self-motivated and don't need a bunch of bonobo monkeys to teach me about nature or how to hike and camp. Dumped them quickly right after getting Tenderfoot. Still not a team player.

Odd Man Out
10-01-2014, 16:35
I was in scouting for many years. I may have set the record for the longest tenure as a Second Class Scout. You could move up from Tenderfoot to Second Class very easily. But to go to First Class (and beyond), you had to earn a bunch of merit badges and I really had no interest in doing that. I did all the activities, and learned all the skills. I just had no interest in filling out the paperwork and saw no point in getting badges to sew on my shirt. Then one day at a troop meeting all the adult leaders cornered me and said that they wanted me to be the new Senior Patrol Leader for the troop. It seems that based on my scouting skills and leadership ability, I was much more qualified than all the other scouts with lots of badges sewn to their shirts. The problem was that the rules said that the SPL had to have a rank of First Class or higher, so the adult leaders figured out that I had done everything I needed to get a boatload of merit badges, filled out the paperwork, promoted me to First Class, and made me SPL. I don't know what happened to my shirt with all the badges, but I still have my winning Pinewood Derby car and trophy.

CalebJ
10-01-2014, 16:47
I was an Eagle Scout with Troop 209 out of Roanoke. Scouting as an organization is far from perfect, but if you can find a troop with good leadership it's a great place to spend time growing up. Wouldn't have ended up with my love of backpacking and the outdoors in general without Scouts (and many other valuable non-outdoors lessons learned as well).

TNhiker
10-01-2014, 16:57
i'm an Eagle.....

probably wouldnt have been if not for my father (who started first round of chemo today), as i was into girls, punk rock and had my license at the time......

but, like others, it has instilled my love for the outdoors....

Gambit McCrae
10-01-2014, 16:58
I was an Eagle Scout with Troop 209 out of Roanoke. Scouting as an organization is far from perfect, but if you can find a troop with good leadership it's a great place to spend time growing up. Wouldn't have ended up with my love of backpacking and the outdoors in general without Scouts (and many other valuable non-outdoors lessons learned as well).

I completely agree, I have friends that are in high places, recources available and people skills I can al thank to boy scouts. I have gotten jobs, out of speeding tickets and probably even out of jail a time of two for "accidentally" dropping my Eagle patch out of my wallet "oops thats my eagle scout patch not my ID" lol

rickb
10-01-2014, 16:59
Tayhouse Troop 19
Rochester NY
Eagle in 1975

It was (and is) unique. The Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters were all former Eagle from the Troop. Fathers need not apply -- they could participate on the Board and behind the scenes. They drew from Rochester and is suburbs. Nice cabin to meet at and good traditions.

If you live in the Rochester area and have kids reaching age 11-- check them out.

Gambit McCrae
10-01-2014, 16:59
i'm an Eagle.....

probably wouldnt have been if not for my father (who started first round of chemo today), as i was into girls, punk rock and had my license at the time......

but, like others, it has instilled my love for the outdoors....

The ol fumes almost got ya! Car fumes, and perfumes!!! Skew!

Prayed for your father hope all works out well

TNhiker
10-01-2014, 17:00
probably even out of jail a time of two for "accidentally" dropping my Eagle patch out of my wallet "oops thats my eagle scout patch not my ID" lol

maybe i should frame mine and put it on the dashboard....

Gambit McCrae
10-01-2014, 17:00
Tayhouse Troop 19
Rochester NY

It was (and is) unique. The Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters were all former Eagle from the Troop. Fathers need not apply -- they could participate on the Board and behind the scenes. They drew from Rochester and is suburbs. Nice cabin to meet at and good traditions.

If you live in the Rochester area and have kids reaching age 11-- check them out.

Sounds like the perfect situation, scouting is something that once experienced thru, never is forgotten about

TNhiker
10-01-2014, 17:01
The ol fumes almost got ya! Car fumes, and perfumes!!! Skew!

yeah.....i tell my friend who has a kid coming up in scouts, to make sure he gets Eagle before these things happen........

The Old Boot
10-01-2014, 17:04
When I aged out of Girl Guides (Canadian equivalent to Girl Scouts) I tried to join the Eagle Scouts but they wouldn't let me...something about being a girl....rofl.

Gambit McCrae
10-01-2014, 17:14
When I aged out of Girl Guides (Canadian equivalent to Girl Scouts) I tried to join the Eagle Scouts but they wouldn't let me...something about being a girl....rofl.
yea believe it or not as early back as 2003-04 there WAS such a thing as "No Girls Allowed". But in todays time I guess there are alot mor emoms in homes then there are dads and therefore someone has to run little johnnys troop...

TNhiker
10-01-2014, 17:19
But in todays time I guess there are alot mor emoms in homes then there are dads and therefore someone has to run little johnnys troop...

i got my Eagle back in 87----and we had leaders who were women.....

in fact, one of those leaders was, hmmmmm, kind enough to show me that she was in fact a woman........

bangorme
10-01-2014, 17:19
What amazes me sometimes is how, when I'm doing something on the trail, I will remember being taught that skill 50 years ago in the scouts! I can still remember my Scoutmaster showing me how to roll a sleeping bag lol. Building a fire is another thing. I think I've still got my scout manual and "50 miler" badge.

TNhiker
10-01-2014, 17:25
I think I've still got my scout manual

still got mine as well.....just looked at it the other day as a matter of fact...

and yeah---i can still remember how to tie a square knot and a clove hitch...

but, the best thing i can take away from scouts that i still use today-----is how to make a firestarter..........paper egg carton, sawdust and wax.......been my firestarter for 30 years now....

swisscross
10-01-2014, 17:28
HAZING
My experience with the cub scouts in 1958-59-60 was very good---blue uniforms and all. Got my first Sears 9lb sleeping bag with them and did some serious backpacking. Loved the Bear and Wolf patches etc. Then I moved to Texas in '62 and joined a Boy Scout troop led by a ape-like silverback who believed in hazing and belt lines. What's a belt line? All the kids stand in a line with their legs spread and you crawl between on your hands and knees while getting hit with belts. Sort of like a Pawnee gauntlet.

I lost interest real fast but heck I'm self-motivated and don't need a bunch of bonobo monkeys to teach me about nature or how to hike and camp. Dumped them quickly right after getting Tenderfoot. Still not a team player.

Our troop also hazed. Thank you sir, my I have another.
Yet we did do some great things and enjoyed most of it.
Went through CS -- Webelos -- BS and Order of the Arrow.
Actually won the pine wood derby one year. Ugly car that was but it was fast. Still have it and the others.

Scout master got transferred. His replacement was horrid and I quit.
Worse decisions I have made. (father should have at least encouraged me to finish)
I was Life with time and service project to receive Eagle.

If I could go back and time and finish, I would.

bott8961
10-01-2014, 17:28
At my Moms insistence did the hold thing - Cub Scouts, Webelos, and Boy Scouts. I think it was her way of getting a break from me because the Scout troop I belonged to camped one weekend a month ever month in-spite of the snow and cold. We also did the week at Summer Camp every summer plus another week doing something else which is where I learned about the AT. I was lucky enough to be able to complete 3 different section hikes with the scout troop in VA and PA. We covered just around 100 miles in each 7 day trip. Barely managed to get my Eagle in 1979 just before turning 18, as someone else already mentioned I became somewhat side tracked by a job, girls and beer. Then I joined the Navy and retired as an Electronics Technician Master Chief in Jan 2011 after 30 years. Now hoping to thru hike the AT next year maybe but for sure in 16 if 15 does not happen.

Gambit McCrae
10-01-2014, 17:34
At my Moms insistence did the hold thing - Cub Scouts, Webelos, and Boy Scouts. I think it was her way of getting a break from me because the Scout troop I belonged to camped one weekend a month ever month in-spite of the snow and cold. We also did the week at Summer Camp every summer plus another week doing something else which is where I learned about the AT. I was lucky enough to be able to complete 3 different section hikes with the scout troop in VA and PA. We covered just around 100 miles in each 7 day trip. Barely managed to get my Eagle in 1979 just before turning 18, as someone else already mentioned I became somewhat side tracked by a job, girls and beer. Then I joined the Navy and retired as an Electronics Technician Master Chief in Jan 2011 after 30 years. Now hoping to thru hike the AT next year maybe but for sure in 16 if 15 does not happen.

What a great story! Was the Navy good to you? I would love to retire at 50, I have 3.5 years to think about it...

Tuckahoe
10-01-2014, 18:07
Thanks guys for making me think about the ol scout days. I ended up digging into a box in the back of the closet and pulling these old things out...

Here my ol shirt, sash and a couple badges. I was reminded that I had been a bugler, chaplain aid, and sr patrol leader.

Two 50 miler badges and I still have my card for completing the 1 mile swim! And a few ol camp out badges.
28524 28525

AND!! Look at this! 27 years after the last time I wore this shirt, I can still get into it (or holy crap, I got myself nearly back down to the size I was at in high school). HA!

linus72
10-01-2014, 18:09
Cub, Webelo and a year or two in Boy Scouts, and mom was den leader in the cub scout days. But I got inevitably got distracted by girls and that newfangled MTV and sadly didn't finish to eagle. Still, those days I look back at with incredible fondness, and retain much of my love for hiking and backpacking and the applicable skills because of it. I still have some of my pinewood derby cars, what a blast. I tried to track down some of my old badges and such and did find some on my old uniform, but the BSA in the 70's didn't really keep those records long like i'm sure they do now with computers and databases. So i can't really chase down all my various accomplishments except from my memory - guess that will have to be enough. Troop 100 Westport, CT, Fairfield County Council.

Mags
10-01-2014, 18:24
"I can remember my mom taking me to the department store to buy one of those uniforms that make you look like a catholic school boy"

I was in cub scouts and webelos. Lucky for my Mom, we DID go to Catholic school and could use the uniform pants as double-duty for scouts. :)

I was not in Boy Scouts long, but the trip we did to Mt. Lafayette (http://www.pmags.com/first-time-on-the-appalachian-trail)stuck with me for a long time and introduced me to the mountains.

I did not get very far into scouts. My rather old school dad made sure all his boys had dish washing jobs at 14 instead. If there was a merit badge for washing dishes and mopping floors, I probably would have earned it. :)

Old Hiker
10-01-2014, 18:46
Tayhouse Troop 19
Rochester NY
Eagle in 1975

Hmmmm........ my opinion: sounds like a clique. Wonder why dads are not included: goes against what Scouting teaches: everyone is included. I'd be ornery enough to apply just to see what would happen: no kids now and made it to Life before turning 16 and losing interest in making rank. I've seen several Eagles with NO skills somehow making it, including basic knots, etc.

The "old days" Eagles were harder to earn, again, my opinion. YOU did the work, didn't just "organize" the effort.

Ass't SM for decades in various Troops - use my lack of Eagle status to push those kids stalled into continuing on. Has worked for many, as they have said in their ceremonies.

Odd Man Out
10-01-2014, 20:55
Our troop's version of hazing was to send us young scouts on a snipe hunt and see how long we would sit in the woods doing the snipe calls we were were taught before giving up. Then on the mass camp outs, we would send the tenderfoots to other troops to borrow important cooking gear that we forgot to pack, including the left handed smoke shifter and sky hook.

TNhiker
10-01-2014, 20:59
Odd man out---sounds like your were in my troop as we did the same (I ask my engineers at work where they keep the left handed smoke shifter)..

we also send our guys out to get some dehydrated water....

The Kisco Kid
10-01-2014, 21:07
I'm an Eagle Scout. 1994 - Troop #1 Mount Kisco, New York.

Ken.davidson
10-01-2014, 21:31
Obtained the rank of Life Scout 1964 in Charleston, SC then got into High Adventure Explorer for two years. Later was an Assistant Scout Master for six years.

Damn Yankee
10-01-2014, 21:34
As a small kid from a small beach community I started as a Cub Scout. Later turning to the Sea Cadets as my Grand-parent were high ranking officers in the Coast Guard Aux. Always playing war with neighborhood kids using BB guns of course. As I turned 18 I joined the Army and stayed for 21 years. I gained my love and tolerance of the outdoors throughout my life.

Hops53
10-01-2014, 21:36
eagle - 1969 - West Branch Council PA - "we who love the woods and camping"

Happycamper215
10-01-2014, 21:50
Hi everyone! Made Eagle in 1985 near Annapolis MD. I started hiking the AT in scouts and fell in love with it. I am very active with a local troop and run a trip to Philmont every other year for @ 36 scouters. I have found a lot of useful info from WB so I want to THANK YOU all very much for sharing.

July
10-01-2014, 21:56
[QUOTE=Sarcasm the elf;1912322]I'd bet good money that my parents still have my cars somewhere in the attic.[/QUOTE/]

Same here elf, Mom surely has all those items tucked away in it's own storage container...:)

WingedMonkey
10-01-2014, 22:35
I completely agree, I have friends that are in high places, recources available and people skills I can al thank to boy scouts. I have gotten jobs, out of speeding tickets and probably even out of jail a time of two for "accidentally" dropping my Eagle patch out of my wallet "oops thats my eagle scout patch not my ID" lol

Is that a message you would share with a troop?

chiefiepoo
10-01-2014, 22:57
Well, after joining Cubs in 1959 I kind of liked it and stayed till Eagle rank and beyond. Pulling out the old LBJ facsimile signed Citation, I see I was awarded Eagle rank 50 years ago this month. I had a great time. Experiences included all weather camping in NJ, 2 week summer camp sessions for four years, camp councilor for all of summer 1964, a week at the 1964 - 1965 New York Worlds Fair working in the Scout Pavilion, junior leader training camp and lots of other stuff. Being 16 years old and teaching pioneering, ropes and knots, knife and axe safety, firmed up a lot of outdoor skills that are used still, today. My son made Eagle in 1998 and now that I have two granddaughters, I find myself questioning why they cannot participate in the entire scouting program beyond Venture if they should choose to do so.
BSA is not for everyone, certainly as many above have related with less than happy times. Perhaps the most enduring opportunity was that of youth leadership. Many of us in those past times found ourselves drawn into the military at the age of 18. Navy boot camp, electronics school, out to the fleet then shore duty. 20 years old, 2nd class petty officer and in charge of 6 men on night check fixing airplanes using skills first learned in the BSA. Spent 4 years in the USN then out and into Fire dept. Firefighter to Chief of 90 person dept, at the end of my career. Made use those ropes and knots, tools, organization skills, first aid, and citizenship knowledge from earlier days. Happily retired now and grateful for the leadership and time the Mom's and Dads of Troop 14 Marlton, NJ gave to their community.

bangorme
10-01-2014, 22:59
Thanks Tuck for the pictures. Just to show how things can change, here's my 50 Miler award from 50 years ago.

We also did the "Snipe Hunt" thing, but I never considered it hazing. The funny thing is that when I redid some of those old AT trails, I could actually remember where we all went swimming. The AT is eternal, we just pass through.

rafe
10-01-2014, 23:10
There was a nobo hiker wearing his merit badge sash one year. I wonder if that's a common occurrence? He finished his thru but ditched the sash at some point -- saw a video of him late in the hike, and he looked like any other scruffy bearded thru hiker.

BuckeyeBill
10-01-2014, 23:18
What was your Eagle Scout community project? I painted 246 parking meter poles in our down town area. Now the parking meters are gone and they chalk your tires.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Odd Man Out
10-01-2014, 23:20
Odd man out---sounds like your were in my troop as we did the same (I ask my engineers at work where they keep the left handed smoke shifter)..

we also send our guys out to get some dehydrated water....

Dehydrated water. That's a good one.

On one snipe hunt, we gave everyone a burlap bag to catch their snipe in. One of the older scouts yells "I got one". He holds his bag tight to his chest with one arm, and has the arm up inside the bag, thrashing about as the "snipe". Fooled just about everyone.

Then on another camping trip (when I was the SPL) my father (one of the adult leaders at the time) started talking about the science of fire around the campfire one evening. He was a scientist, so this was all technical and believable. But then, gradually, the story became more and more bizarre until it eventually drifted towards invisible aliens cremating dead bodies. I thought it was all pretty funny, until I had a parade of tenderfoot scouts coming to my tent in the middle of the night scared out of their wits.

It would seem that what I learned in scouting more than anything was "critical thinking skills".

tazzerboy
10-02-2014, 01:42
I started in Tiger Cubs, went through the ranks in Cub Scouts, and eventually finished my Eagle with Troop 973. I don't remember the exact year, but George Bush, Sr. was president when I got my Eagle

Gambit McCrae
10-02-2014, 06:59
Is that a message you would share with a troop?

No, But I went to shoot pool at the bar for 2 hours last night as well, I wouldnt take the ol boy scout troop over the local dive either, doesnt mean its not okay :) Thanks for asking though!

Gambit McCrae
10-02-2014, 07:05
My son made Eagle in 1998 and now that I have two granddaughters, I find myself questioning why they cannot participate in the entire scouting program beyond Venture if they should choose to do so..

Perhaps Because they are girls? I thought that was what girlscouts and venturing was designed for but hey who knows rights? Its only called Boy Scouts of America...:-?......:datz

MockingJay
10-02-2014, 08:01
I earned my Eagle in 1992 in a very active troop in Northern VA that camped every month and usually two summer camps every year. I remember my first trips on the AT (day hikes really) in Shenandoah National Park back in 90 and 91. Got to go to the Sea Base in the Keys and wish now that I had pushed for Philmont back then. Enjoyed the outdoors so much that my Eagle project was to construct a camp site. Now 22 years later my 2 boys just received their Bobcat badges getting started in Cub Scouts.

Chif
10-02-2014, 08:37
I got my Eagle in 2005 along with 3 palms. I still stay somewhat active in scouting volunteering as a Commissioner and sit in on roundtables. It is where I learned of my love for the outdoors and have countless great memories of those days.

Scouting has been a big part of my life. Eagle Scout 1983, Order of the Arrow, camp staff, philmont, Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop Committee, Council Board member. I learned valuable lessons, some good and some bad. It helped make me who I am.

sfdoc
10-02-2014, 09:15
I was in Pack 30 (Cub Scouts '52-'55) and Troop 30, Mendham, NJ,'55-'59 Funny thing is, Schiff Scout Reservation (now a very upscale housing development), which was where professional scouts were trained, was nearby. I was in two movies made there. Since there weren't many merit badge counselors in the area,( the pro's weren't counselors) few if any got beyond !st Class, I was in the Order of the Arrow. For those of you who remember back that far, Boy's Life's Green Bar Bill lived in Mendham (borough population about 1500 at that time). I learned a lot through scouting. I have always encouraged whatever students I had over the years, who were involved in scouting, to go for Eagle. Some made it.

Just Bill
10-02-2014, 09:32
Eagle Scout as well.
My first "company" was teaching merit badge classes and selling gear to troops at a discount to get them outfitted. I dealt with quite a few troops over the years.

Scouts is what you make of it, or more accurately, what the Families' make of it. I say that as I know of women who were active participants as well.

I was lucky in that my dad was our scoutmaster, he was a scout who's annual troop trip was to spend a night in Chicago's Grant Park. When we started our troop we had only one goal, go camping once per month. Nothing else. If you wanted to earn badges or ranks the troop helped with it, but it was not the focus. We grew from 6 scouts to over fifty. I was one of the founding 6 scouts, and served as assistant scoutmaster when I finally left at 19. The troop fell apart a few years later.

Point being- people make a good scout troop, like anything else. Adult leaders being the most critical people. Of the scouts in our troop, I am the only one who still is active in the outdoors, although nearly twenty years later, every member of our troop is still friends with at least one fellow scout. Even if they didn't stick with it, nearly everyone participated in at least one "once in a lifetime" trip.

I could say that I owe a lot to Scouting, and it would be true, but really I owe a lot to my father, the other parents, and my fellow scouts. Not a single father could claim any experience in the outdoors, which for me, was great; we all learned from each other. You get out of it what you put into it, and maybe that's the ultimate lesson of scouting.

Trebor66
10-02-2014, 13:55
I earned my Eagle in 1984. Was in Scouting from Cub Scouts all the way to Eagle then became a Asst. Scoutmaster and remained there until I was 22 or 23 years old. It was a big part of my life for many years. I was fortunate to have some great leaders who helped form me into a young man and offered good advice. I hope I turned out half as good as they were. I also worked as a counselor at Camp Heritage near Uniontown Pa for a few summers. Lived in a tent on the side of a lake. It was awesome!! Even hot my picture in Boys Life magazine.

TNhiker
10-02-2014, 14:04
Hmmmm........ my opinion: sounds like a clique

to be honest----when i was in scouts and in my area (i cant attest to other troops), most of scouting was nothing but a clique....

and the worst, IMO, of them all was the Order of the Arrow....

due to my changing perspective of life due to punk rock----i didnt want to be any part of the Order.....

not what so ever......

and so when they tapped me out------i turned them down.....

they had never seen that before and questioned me about it and in not so many words i told them to F off......

Gambit McCrae
10-02-2014, 14:31
More suprised then I thought I would be at how many Eagles we have on whiteblaze, good group of people we have! :)

LittleRock
10-02-2014, 15:09
Started from Tiger Cubs and earned Eagle Scout rank in 2003 with Pack/Troop 395 from Little Rock, AR.

Had some good times with "The Goldbond Patrol". We even made custom "GB" patrol patches for our uniforms.

tarditi
10-02-2014, 15:38
Cub Scouts were some of my fondest memories... bridged to Boy Scouts and had a bear of a SM... nobody stayed from my Webelos class that bridged.

Fast forward many years and I'm now a proud Cubmaster of almost 70 awesome boys. I am humbled by the trust their families put in me and take my responsibilities as a Scouter and leader very seriously. That said, we have a tremendous time - 2 overnighters annually, plus day and resident camp, lots of outings and fun events - just a great time.

Hopefully, my boys will all go Eagle, but if not, I hope they had as much fun in Scouting as they possibly could. It truly makes them better people.

johnnybgood
10-02-2014, 16:35
I remember going on scouting trips to SNP during my cub scout years, mid/late 60's . Growing up in such a small town,(appx.1,000 persons) we often combined our activities with the nearest town 6 miles away. My father was a scoutmaster and Deacon in the church we attended so our church was often used along with the nearby Lutheran for our scout meetings.

Not many boys were into scouting where I grew up but the few of us who were made friendships, some which still exist today . Scouting for me helped build character, taught teamwork and perseverance even through limited activities with other economically challenged towns like ours.

misterfloyd
10-02-2014, 19:55
I was a life scout in the 70's. I was stupid enough to quit and have no excuse. I had forgotten my love of the outdoors in my 20's and 30's being busy going to school, getting married, and raising two children. It has been 3 years that I remembered, "you know, this is really cool."

Some things have changed, and some still the same. I try to help getting out when needed.

Floyd

bobp
10-02-2014, 20:11
i started in Cub Scouts in '72 or '73, and earned Eagle in '78. Became den leader of my son's Tiger den just after 9/11, and saw a couple of those kids become Eagle Scouts. I'm still involved, because it is just about as easy for adults to leave Scouting as it is to leave the Mafia (Scouting's offer that I couldn't refuse was a 5-day canoe trek in the Adirondacks).

Don H
10-02-2014, 20:27
Not many boys were into scouting where I grew up but the few of us who were made friendships, some which still exist today . Scouting for me helped build character, taught teamwork and perseverance even through limited activities with other economically challenged towns like ours.

I still have friends from Scouting from over 40 years ago. In fact when I summited Katahdin it was an old Scout buddy who had moved to Maine who came to pick me up.

Likeapuma
10-03-2014, 01:22
My step father was (and still is) the SM, so I was able to tag along with the Scouts from a young age. Participated in Cub Scouts & Webelos, but got bored with it.

In scouts, I only got to Life Scout before girls/cars/jobs took my priorities. But I got to experience a lot of cool things; went to Silver Bar Camp (leadership training), became part of the Order of the Arrow, & was a Patrol Leader. Had lots of fun on our monthly camp outs (ranging from long weekends on the CT AT to making long huts on the Troop's property).

I actually had to do volunteer work for a college class & started helping out... That was over 2 years ago. I still have good friends from scouts, one who I hike with regularly.

CELTIC BUCK
10-03-2014, 06:52
Joined the BSA in 1959 as a Cub Scout still in as Commissioner ; made Star couldn't swim good enough when Swimming and Life Saving were required for Eagle in the 60's,went to Philmont as 16yr old and fell in Love with the West. Back there 2 college years as volunteer at Indian Writings. Vigil in OA and was Lodge Advisor for a Great group of young men that I introduced to the AT. The 5 years as OA advisor were the Best "job" as Adult Scouter the worst were 2 years as Fund Raiser.But I have met the Very Best of Young Men and Adults over the years in 3 different Councils. Scouting was the Door way into an Adventure filled Life.

coach lou
10-03-2014, 09:08
28549...............................Life.......Bro therhood OA

Deacon
10-03-2014, 09:50
Joined scouts in 1955, received Eagle in 1962. Also Order of the Arrow, Vigil Honor.

Rueben the Cobbler
10-03-2014, 10:27
Joined in 2005. Got my eagle in 2010. At 20 I'm now an assistant scoutmaster. First ever AT trip was with my troop. It has been a huge part of my life. My troop is very outdoors based and we do a ton of community service. We try to go camping once a month. Actually going tomorrow!!!!!!

DiamondDoug
10-07-2014, 21:01
Eagle in '73, two palms followed.
1 trip to Philmont as a camper, 1 as a leader and three summers on the staff. Ranger, of course.
3 world jamborees; Japan as a scout, Norway in the National Headquarters staff and Australia as a Scoutmaster.
I turned 11 on a Wednesday, and that Saturday was hiking with my troop from Wind Gap to Water Gap on the AT. It was odd hiking that section on my thru.
For me Scouting was a terrific experience, taught me all sorts of lessons that I still use, everything from leadership skills to the J stroke in a canoe to a taut line hitch. Best summers in my life were in northern New Mexico. "I wanna go back to Philmont, where the old Rayado flows..."

TNhiker
10-07-2014, 21:10
sadly, i never got the chance to go to philmont........

Sarcasm the elf
10-07-2014, 21:28
sadly, i never got the chance to go to philmont........

I share that regret, my troop went there as a high adventure when I was two years younger than the minimum age. Then there was some sort of organizational shakeup and they began to set up the trips to Philmont as district wide groups and my troop didn't get the chance to send a large contingent of scouts again for as long as I was active.

I especially wish that I had gotten the chance to sit in that wilderness and hear the staff storyteller tell the legend of Urraca Mesa. I still don't know exactly what was said of that place, but those stories left an indelible mark on the older scouts who went on our troop's last trip. The did their best to tell and retell them around the campfire for years afterwards.

TNhiker
10-07-2014, 21:37
my troop went there as a high adventure when I was two years younger than the minimum age

my troop, besides me and a few, were a bunch of morons.....

when i was in, they were not into hiking......didnt want to go on a trip, nothing like that.........and yet, i would want to go.....but i got vetoed...

after i leave, these morons decide hiking is "fun" and "cool" and get heavy into it, cumulating with a trip to philmont...

stupid little *****ers.....

Kerosene
10-07-2014, 21:38
Eagle Scout with Bronze Palm, 1972, Troop 242 out of New Monmouth, NJ (now defunct).

My first AT trip was with another Eagle Scout and a Star, the 52 miles from Delaware Water Gap to Unionville, NY as 15-year old sophomores during spring break in early April 1973. The next year we did 100+ miles from Duncannon to Lehigh Gap, and as seniors we went from US-20/Lee, MA to the NY/CT border.

On Saturday I completed my 41-year AT section hiking odyssey atop Katahdin (~500 miles in the 70's, 100 in the 80's, and the remainder since 2000). I know that I still use a number of the skills I learned as a scout, and more importantly ascribe to the BSA tenets.

rickb
10-07-2014, 21:47
Some years ago I posted a poll asking Whiteblaze members what rank they reached.

Some 470 people responded.

I was surprised that about 30% reached Eagle.

Then I thought about it and wasn't so surprising after all

slbirdnerd
10-08-2014, 14:29
My dad is Eagle and my son is currently Star and working toward Eagle. I'm a Scouter, and would have loved Boy Scouts for Girls--or, Venturing if they'd had it back then! My son's crossover (all the gear he needed) to Boy Scouts from Cubs is what got me backpacking. Why did I wait so long???

Tipi, man, sorry it was like that. I'm glad my boy is having a positive experience with it though--he needed/needs it.

Scorpion
10-08-2014, 15:07
Became an Eagle Scout in 1958. I'm still active with the scouts and went to Philmont last year. Glad to have been in the scouts.
Scorpion GA-Me 04

hikehunter
10-08-2014, 17:00
Hey..."Odd Man".....
My best friend and I made a "sky hook" with piano wire and a construction hook.....
The scoutmasters almost peed themselves with laughter....
at night it looked as if it were floating in mid-air.:D

likeahike
10-08-2014, 18:05
Was in the scouts for a couple of years. We had a small troop sponsored by a church, but did little camping or hiking. Then we got a new scoutmaster who increased our hiking/camping to at least one weekend a month. Had blast! Unfortunately the church elders objected to us camping on Sundays so they just dumped us. Our scoutmaster and some parents scrambled to find new sponsorship, but the troop just kinda fizzled out. Just as well for me, my interest in girls and baseball left little time for scouting.

HeartFire
10-08-2014, 18:57
I was a Scouter, both of my sons are Eagles

colorado_rob
10-08-2014, 19:34
I made it to "Life", not quite an Eagle... but Boy Scouts introduced me to the outdoors and hiking/backpacking, been doing it since. We had a very active Troop. Great organization. My son only dabbled then dropped out, alas.

Odd Man Out
10-08-2014, 21:05
Hey..."Odd Man".....
My best friend and I made a "sky hook" with piano wire and a construction hook.....
The scoutmasters almost peed themselves with laughter....
at night it looked as if it were floating in mid-air.:D

Excellent. Good to "be prepared" ;-)

MuddyWaters
10-08-2014, 21:36
Scouting is what you make of it. A lot depends on the adult leaders, they can shape the troop, or let it founder. The most valuable offerings is the chance to assume leadership roles, and to interact with adults. But its fun things that will keep kids in the troop. Things that 13 yr old boys want to do. Focus on things that the 10 t o 12 yr olds can do as well, and you will lose the older boys. They need activities that excite them . I was a leader for several yes, still am technically, but couldn't get the troop to do much outside of their standard yearly plan.

Scouting today is changing as society changes. I don't know if that's good or bad.

My son dropped out at life, two reasons:
1. Conflicted with sports too much
2. There were no cool/popular kids left in it. Everyone left was an "odd" kid, and scouts was all they did. These weren't kids he wanted to be friends with, or even wanted to be seen with.

Kids have so many choices of activities today, especially athletics. IMO scouting has an image problem, and has lost many kids because of it.

I hoped philmont would keep him interested, maybe he'd want to do Rayado or work there as a ranger in college. Nope, he found the songs, skits, cheers all immature and questioned the sexual orientation of more than a couple of male rangers.(not that there is any thing wrong with any orientation)

linus72
10-13-2014, 09:36
While cleaning out the old family home over the weekend, found a bunch of scouting photos from Cub, Webelo and Boy Scouts, which was great. But even cooler was I found my Pinewood Derby racer!

rafe
10-13-2014, 09:58
For an irreverent view of the Boy Scouts, go to youtube and search for Tom Lehrer's ditty, "Be Prepared." :)

Nooga
10-14-2014, 10:02
During my thru hike, there was a group of about 8 of us thru hikers at a trail magic in VA. The subject of scouting came up and 4 were Eagle scouts. I was really surprised.

Tipi Walter
10-14-2014, 12:54
I've seen a few boy scout troops over the years and you can see some of them in my Boy Scout keyword pics here---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/keyword/boy%20scouts/

I do have one interesting story of a boy scout group doing some winter backpacking on Bob Bald in East TN. They set up under a leaning dead tree in a windstorm---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2002-2004/13-Backpacking-Trips-Of-2003/i-TTtMTzk/0/M/Scan10-0001-M.jpg
Here's the Death Tree when standing and a common place for backpackers to set up. Unwise.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2002-2004/The-64-Bag-Nights-of-2004/i-BFkKtsn/0/M/39%20%20Boy%20Scout%20Troop%20from%20Atlanta%20in% 20the%20Cold%20Fog%20on%20the%20Bob-M.jpg
Later in the year a group of boy scouts come up and set their tents right under the Death Tree which is visible in the background, and leaning. I tell the scout leader it would be good if he moved his camp. Blank stares.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2005/A-North-Face-BackMagic-On-Bob/i-ttNSGBq/0/M/52-9-M.jpg
Okay, the scouts get away with their lives but JUST 4 MONTHS LATER the death tree falls! Luck was with the boys.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2009/The-Longest-Trip-at-23-Days/i-ttgdf6G/0/M/TRIP%20102%20%20OCTOBER-NOV%202009%20092-M.jpg
Finally, I gotta add this neato pic of some boy scouts caught in a nasty October sleetstorm and preparing to bail off the mountain. I like the kid in the middle with the giant frozen tarp.

OwenM
10-14-2014, 13:36
We moved when I was a Life Scout. The troop I joined afterwards was not nearly as active outdoors as the previous one, and my interest quickly faded. Had a lot of great experiences with the original troop, though.

Bear Cables
10-20-2014, 21:25
Both of my sons are Eagle, 2000 and 2003. I was their cub scout den mother and packmaster. They were in a great troop. Lots of camping and backpacking. I was privileged to hike Philmont and canoe Boundary Waters with both of them. Later as a Venture Crew leader we sailed Sea Base with my younger son. They both consider Scouting as a highlight of their boyhood years. Now they each have a son and talk about their sons being scouts though that is a few years away as the boys are 1 and 2.

Bear Cables
10-20-2014, 21:27
Also my Dad was Life Scout then WWII broke out and he joined the Navy. My uncle, cousin and his son were all Eagle.

Bear Cables
10-20-2014, 21:40
One more thought...on the first AT hike I made with my sons, then both in college they recieved their trail name from another hiker we shared the shelter with...he was also an Eagle. He named them Firebreather and Ranger

bobp
10-21-2014, 21:26
Finally, I gotta add this neato pic of some boy scouts caught in a nasty October sleetstorm and preparing to bail off the mountain. I like the kid in the middle with the giant frozen tarp.

I like the expressions on the kid and older guy left of center -- an attempt at a smile. A Scout is cheerful.

Adult leadership in Scouting is balanced on a knife's edge. It requires someone stupid and crazy enough to volunteer to do it (I think a fair number of people here might concede that the presence of teen-aged boys, a lack of alcohol, and the need to carry extra gear for those teens diminishes the potential enjoyment of the outing), yet smart enough to avoid the dangers, let the boys make safe mistakes, and ensure that everyone has fun, and sane enough to guide everyone through the inevitable problems, major and minor, that might occur. I don't know that I ever got the hang of it (others may disagree, but I think I was OK on smart, but a bit lacking on sane, and weak on patience).

In the end, you rely on those Scouty things you say at every meeting. And one of those lifesavers is "A Scout is cheerful."

Biggie Master
10-21-2014, 21:33
Also my Dad was Life Scout then WWII broke out and he joined the Navy. My uncle, cousin and his son were all Eagle.

As far as I'm concerned, your dad's an Eagle too. WWII was a heck of a service project, and I thank him for it!

Biggie Master
10-21-2014, 21:35
Oh, I don't think I threw my name into this pot. I received my Eagle rank in 1980, as did my regular hiking buddy.

Wise Old Owl
10-21-2014, 21:44
Scouting is what you make of it. A lot depends on the adult leaders, they can shape the troop, or let it founder. The most valuable offerings is the chance to assume leadership roles, and to interact with adults. But its fun things that will keep kids in the troop. Things that 13 yr old boys want to do. Focus on things that the 10 t o 12 yr olds can do as well, and you will lose the older boys. They need activities that excite them . I was a leader for several yes, still am technically, but couldn't get the troop to do much outside of their standard yearly plan.

Scouting today is changing as society changes. I don't know if that's good or bad.

My son dropped out at life, two reasons:
1. Conflicted with sports too much
2. There were no cool/popular kids left in it. Everyone left was an "odd" kid, and scouts was all they did. These weren't kids he wanted to be friends with, or even wanted to be seen with.

Kids have so many choices of activities today, especially athletics. IMO scouting has an image problem, and has lost many kids because of it.

I hoped philmont would keep him interested, maybe he'd want to do Rayado or work there as a ranger in college. Nope, he found the songs, skits, cheers all immature and questioned the sexual orientation of more than a couple of male rangers.(not that there is any thing wrong with any orientation)

Everyone who is not in sports is an "odd" kid. Thanks for sharing.

MuddyWaters
10-21-2014, 23:17
Everyone who is not in sports is an "odd" kid. Thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't say that. More like the kind of kids the girls aren't interested in. All of a sudden, what girls think becomes real important. Girls decide who is liked and popular, and who is not.

HICKS
10-22-2014, 14:12
Eagle Scout, '81. Troop 87 in Roswell, GA then troop 11 in Rocky Mount, NC. I would not be a backpacker today if not for the boy scout trips I went on as a teenager. Troop 87 in northern GA was particularly active.

kidchill
10-23-2014, 08:38
I was in scouts when I was around 10-13 or so...but, here's the thing. I had no idea Scouts actually went out and did anything. When I thru-hiked the AT, people kept saying, oh, that guy's an Eagle Scout, bla, bla, bla...I didn't realize it meant they actually spent time in the woods and had "outdoor" skills. I did make Eagle scout, but quit shortly after...I'm not sure why, but we really didn't do much anyways.

Hunter87
10-23-2014, 12:32
Eagle scourt 1974 Troop 235 Stockton Springs, Maine. we did our 50 miler in the White Mountains in NH.