PDA

View Full Version : The day time stood still in The Hundred Mile Wilderness

mountainman
10-01-2014, 20:39
To understand this phenomenoe, I need to explain how I got here.
Six years ago I left Springer Mt hiking north on weekends with the goal of getting to the top of Mt Katahdin someday. I still worked so I used extended weekends till I got to New Jersey. It got much more difficult then reguiring hikes of 5-8 days always with a deadline to get back to work.
Now being close to the finish I had 4 days to get from N.C. to Katadin Iron Works Rd and hike 45mi to the South End of Nahmakanta Lake, and be back to work at 6am on the 5th day.
I finished early in the morning at Nahmakanta Lake just 35mi from Mt Katahdin. It would be 3 hrs till Buddy's wife picks me and takes me to the Airport.
I'm sitting on the gravel beach eating Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheese and crackers and sipping on hot chicken broth. The air is cool and the warm morning sun feels good on my back. I'm looking up the Lake under perfectly clear skies. There is no sound, no wind and the water is as smooth as a mirror. After awhile a float plane came flying low over the water towards me and flew slowly over me disappearing into the ski behind me.
It now is so quite and still that I feel as if I'm in a picture frame where time as stopped.
After awhile I fell something I can't explain. Later I realize that it is stress lifting from my body, stress from a Lifetime of chasing goals and being controled by time. No More!

imscotty
10-01-2014, 21:01
Sounds like a great moment Mountainman. Savour the moment. I hope you experience many more.

rocketsocks
10-01-2014, 21:12
I know this feeling well, it's one of acceptance...awesome feeling. Thanks for the reminder Mountainman.

July
10-01-2014, 21:44
I have to say Mountainman that I also have experienced these "windows" over the years. Almost if not, pure bliss. I will also confess that this has always occured out of doors... :)

BirdShooter
10-05-2014, 20:21
Nahmakanta Lake was one of my favorite stops in the 100 Mile Wilderness. Had an equally zen experience there - photo attached.28556

WMR
10-05-2014, 22:41
Great piece. Monday morning 8:00 a.m. may be the biggest barrier of all. How does the story end?

Pedaling Fool
10-06-2014, 06:58
Here's a book for those of us that like the weird and unusual http://www.amazon.com/Weird-Hikes-Collection-Bizarre-Absolutely/dp/B007K5G95I

rafe
10-06-2014, 09:24
Here's a book for those of us that like the weird and unusual http://www.amazon.com/Weird-Hikes-Collection-Bizarre-Absolutely/dp/B007K5G95I

I've read it, it's kinda interesting. The very first story in the book is about a hike in the Glen adjacent to Antioch College in southwestern Ohio -- my wife and I both spent some time there. The stories mix fact and fiction and sometimes it's hard to tell which is which.

Kerosene
10-07-2014, 21:26
I was just there last week, float plane and Cabot Seriously Sharp included, although I didn't have my meditative state on the lakeshore itself but on a quiet day looking up at the trees with the yellow leaves of a birch being lit up by the late afternoon sun.

HighLiner
10-08-2014, 21:33
I camped on that Lake in August with a new moon and no clouds. I counted 25 satellites in about 90 minutes. What a fabulous spot.

he.who.forgets
10-08-2014, 22:45
Fantastic! Man, I need to get out in the woods.

rafe
10-08-2014, 23:02
I sure can relate. Walking by the lakes in the HMW was a treat. But the real epiphany happened a day or two later on the way up WhiteCap Mtn. I looked out over this vast tract of land and saw not a single cell tower, road, house, factory, mall, or power line or anything else of human design. Except for the trail I stood on. I realized I was dozens of miles from nowhere and utterly on my own. I felt humbled by what I saw, but proud and happy just for bearing witness to it all.

centerfieldr162
10-09-2014, 00:37
Mountainman, thanks for reminding me of a similar feeling I once had on a mountainside after a long hike in the rain when the sun broke through the clouds and the mist was lifting out of the air.

Rafe, thank you for the beautiful picture.

I second the need to get out into the woods! No cell phone, traffic, people, problems.. Ahhh.. sounds amazing right about now

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

joker52186
10-09-2014, 04:24
That sounds so amazing

love peace and chicken grease

Kerosene
10-09-2014, 13:26
Here's a half-dozen pictures that attempt to capture some of my more meditative moments in Maine these past few weeks:

North side of Little Bigelow, overlooking Flagstaff Lake

Pierce Pond on a calm, sunny afternoon

Lazing about on the Barren Ledges mid-morning

East Chairback Pond

The "park bench" atop Whitecap on a windy morning

Idling away the afternoon at East Branch LT

Stopped to snack in the sun on a rock jutting into Rainbow Lake

swisscross
10-09-2014, 16:07
Memories like that will last forever.
Thank you for sharing.

Six years section hiking and only 35 miles from Katahdin is an admirable feat in itself.
Just ran the calcs and that is over 350 miles a year.
Sometimes I think completing the trail as a section hiker is harder than a thru.
Takes determination, much more planning and much more funding.
Not to mention having to find trail legs over and over again.

Appears you will finish your journey on your next section and with that I say congratulations.
I am sure it has been one heck of a journey.