PDA

View Full Version : Tips and tricks - please add your own

jjozgrunt
10-02-2014, 08:20
Must be bored but I think after the last weekend when I went hiking with a group I need to pass on the these tips and tricks.

1. You don't need a trowel or in the case on the last weekend a fold out shovel. I thought the guy must have been going to dig a fox hole. A metal peg from your shelter system is perfectly adequate. Carry one of those L shaped ones. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K71MBXQ?psc=1

2. Carry your duct tape for repairs wrapped around the top of your poles just below the grips. I have a piece, long enough to go around my 13+ boots at least twice on each pole. Used one on the weekend to hold together someone else's boot for the last 6 miles of the walk. Very handy and strong stuff.

3. Lastly never, or if you like a laugh please do, go for a walk in a tropical rainforest with someone afraid of leeches. Laughed so much I'm sure that on at least one occasion my shorts were wet by more than precipitation alone.

Please keep your tip and tricks coming because I'm sure even the most experienced hikers will be sure to find at least one they didn't know, let alone the less experienced walkers.

squeezebox
10-02-2014, 09:06
You're slightly better off wrapping duct tape around something less mobile, like a pen, and in your pack. On your hiking poles you lift that tape every time you move your arms. In your pack it's just basic dead wt.

Speakeasy TN
10-02-2014, 09:24
I'm a devotee to baby wipes now. No more worrying about getting toilet paper wet. Just remember to tuck them in your jacket when you get up in the morning!

Traveler
10-02-2014, 09:30
The problem with baby wipes and other similar manmade fibre products, they don't break down. This is a growing problem and has become a serious issue in septic and sewer systems as manufacturers encourage disposal in them. In the forest, this stuff is more noticeable every year. Perhaps the best thing to use in forests are products that become dispersible when wet and break down.

Odd Man Out
10-02-2014, 09:30
If you are sweating in your rain jacket but it's too cold to go without, stick your arms out through the pit zip opening, tuck the unused sleeve inside the jacket and you have a rain vest. Your torso stays dry and your wet arms radiate excess heat, keeping you a little cooler.

runt13
10-02-2014, 09:35
Found a very useful lightweight knife, its the CRKT FOLTS ''MINIMALIST'' It is very small and hangs from your neck on a nice piece of Paracord. Or can be stuck in a pack pocket or lashed to just a bout anything.

RUNT ''13''

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 09:37
Don't apply "body glide" to your butt crack on a first date that involves a hike....if you want another date.

OCDave
10-02-2014, 09:45
Don't apply "body glide" to your butt crack on a first date that involves a hike....if you want another date.

This is very specific. Have you experience on which you base this tip?

10-K
10-02-2014, 09:50
Don't step on anything you can step over...

Pay attention to your stride - try to walk straight...

Damn Yankee
10-02-2014, 09:53
The problem with baby wipes and other similar manmade fibre products, they don't break down. This is a growing problem and has become a serious issue in septic and sewer systems as manufacturers encourage disposal in them. In the forest, this stuff is more noticeable every year. Perhaps the best thing to use in forests are products that become dispersible when wet and break down.

I also use baby wipes but only after TP and cart them out in a zip-lock bag. I realize this technic isn't for everyone.

Damn Yankee
10-02-2014, 09:55
When brushing my teeth I use a very small amount of tooth paste and instead of rinsing and spitting on the ground, I spray into the air so I don't leave any trace of white anywhere.

Just Bill
10-02-2014, 10:19
Spend the most money, effort and time on keeping your feet happy.
Then devote yourself to ensuring a good nights rest.

Any remaining money, time and effort can be spent on the rest of your kit- but matters very little if you can't stroll or sleep peacefully.

saltysack
10-02-2014, 10:23
I also use baby wipes but only after TP and cart them out in a zip-lock bag. I realize this technic isn't for everyone.

Do they make wipes that biodegrade?...I thought they were all a paper product...didn't realize as had been burying them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tipi Walter
10-02-2014, 10:26
Keep your eyes open and your butt cheeks clenched---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2008/Pit-Vipers-in-the-Citico-Trip/i-cQMZmWz/0/L/Trip%2078%20037-L.jpg

Just Bill
10-02-2014, 10:28
Do they make wipes that biodegrade?...I thought they were all a paper product...didn't realize as had been burying them...

I use the ones made specifically for septic systems/flushable. As far as I know those are Kosher if buried properly, but I go with the combo like Damn Yankee- keeps down on the wipes and weight of them. I usually burn them, especially if the soil isn't good.

Outside the hottest parts of the year I've moved away from them and prefer to carry a big bandana and separate wash towel.

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 10:30
This is very specific. Have you experience on which you base this tip?
I actually have...though it wasn't a first date, it was still pretty embarrassing. :D

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?72589-The-Ultimate-Chafing-Article&p=1910472#post1910472

Demeter
10-02-2014, 10:30
Learn to identify poison ivy and nettles so you don't walk into them when answering nature's call.

saltysack
10-02-2014, 10:35

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2008/Pit-Vipers-in-the-Citico-Trip/i-cQMZmWz/0/L/Trip%2078%20037-L.jpg

Damn... Maybe I'll second guess night hiking from glassmine to fontana....where was that? I've never seen any poisonous snakes on my hikes from ga- va...

July
10-02-2014, 10:41

Brings back habits from youth, NEVER step/place foot blindly over back side of log accross trail...

saltysack
10-02-2014, 10:43
Yep I usually hit the log s few times w trekking pole also..another reason to make my dog stay behind mr

wormer
10-02-2014, 10:50
One piece of wood never burns as well by itself. Either break the wood into two pieces, or if possible split it if it's a single piece. I have found this to be true with either an open campfire or a wood stove.

Tipi Walter
10-02-2014, 10:50
Damn... Maybe I'll second guess night hiking from glassmine to fontana....where was that? I've never seen any poisonous snakes on my hikes from ga- va...

Don't worry about it. They always seem worse when you're at home looking at pics. Just hit the trail and keep your eyes open and if one isn't on the trail in front of you, don't worry about it. The season is almost over for these guys anyway.

saltysack
10-02-2014, 10:53
Y I'm hoping for some cooler weather ...headin out in a few weeks...it's the one I don't see that scares me...

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 11:50
Don't over tighten your canister stove element on the can...trust me on this, a good firm hand tight, and then just a weeeee bit more snugged up after 'll do it.

saltysack
10-02-2014, 11:57
Frozen wet wipes hurt!

Damn Yankee
10-02-2014, 11:58
I wouldn't worry about snakes at night as they have gone into their dens. Always, poke blind steps or hand holds with stick or trekking poles. I almost stepped on this one. He was about 12" from my foot.

saltysack
10-02-2014, 12:01
I wouldn't worry about snakes at night as they have gone into their dens. Always, poke blind steps or hand holds with stick or trekking poles. I almost stepped on this one. He was about 12" from my foot.

I thought vipers hunted at night? In NC it hasn't really cooled too much.. You think they've gone into dens?

twilight
10-02-2014, 12:09
Kilt wearers, who go commando underneath. Be at the end of the line when hiking with a group going up hill. Nuff said.

Tipi Walter
10-02-2014, 13:23
The Miracle of the Pit Viper True Story:
I was camping in the Bald River wilderness and had a neato campsite next to the river. I left camp in the morning for a short dayhike and thought to myself, "I want to see a copperhead, just to have a pic for my trip report."

I walked up the trail a ways and stopped for 10 seconds and then turned around and started back but as soon as I turned around this was on the trail---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/20-Days-to-Panther-Branch-and/i-jfwGFw9/0/M/TRIP%20136%20382-M.jpg
Question is, why didn't I step on it on my first pass? Anyway, I got some good pics and received the miracle blessing from the Copperhead nation.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/16-Days-with-a-Miracle-Dog/i-PptzFWW/0/M/TRIP%20111%20036-M.jpg
Here's another one for your amusement---a copperhead in my camp on the South Fork Citico trail.

Sarcasm the elf
10-02-2014, 13:35

hehe...same rule applies to rock climbing...

I pulled a beautiful 4 foot snake skin out of one of the cracks on a granite wall I was climbing a few months ago, from a rat snake I think. Fortunately the skin was no longer occupied.

bangorme
10-02-2014, 14:27
The best knife I've found is the Leatherman micra. I had something like it that had pliers rather than scissors, but after trying to cut moleskin with a knife, I decided that was a real pain (and I never used the pliers anyway). The micra has a little part of scissors in it that also helps with duct tape.

Gambit McCrae
10-02-2014, 14:42
You're slightly better off wrapping duct tape around something less mobile, like a pen, and in your pack. On your hiking poles you lift that tape every time you move your arms. In your pack it's just basic dead wt.

:-? Thats gettin a little too attentive for me lol

saltysack
10-02-2014, 14:45
The best knife I've found is the Leatherman micra. I had something like it that had pliers rather than scissors, but after trying to cut moleskin with a knife, I decided that was a real pain (and I never used the pliers anyway). The micra has a little part of scissors in it that also helps with duct tape.

They make a micra w both...love mine

Riocielo
10-03-2014, 03:28
TipiWalter, does this butt clenching have anything to do with the previous bodyglide post?

MuddyWaters
10-03-2014, 05:59

If you are out for a couple days, it won't matter, but keeping it clean, dry, and not exposed to UV keeps it in good condition as well for months. As a main component of FAK and repair kit, its not desireable from that standpoint to have it on trekking poles too, even if one doesn't mind the weight. Of course you can replace periodically.

Rocket Jones
10-03-2014, 06:21
Here's a few I learned here on WhiteBlaze...

1. Instead of a scrubber or sponge for cleaning your cooking gear, carry a small square of plastic mesh bag like what onions or oranges come in. Works just as good and weighs nothing. Bonus use - wrap it around a rock and fasten with a carabiner, then use it to throw your bear bag line.

2. If you're carrying a digital camera (might work with a phone too... dunno), take the storage card out and then take a picture of a piece of paper with your contact information. That way, if you lose the camera, the first photo that comes up gives the finder everything needed to get your camera back to you. And, you don't have to re-take the photo every time you change storage cards.

3. I carry a laminated card in my first aid baggie that lists my blood type, prescription meds (dose and frequency), allergies, emergency contact info and my health insurance info.

4. Pee bottle.

RangerZ
10-03-2014, 06:39
Really wants
Here's a few I learned here on WhiteBlaze...

1. Instead of a scrubber or sponge for cleaning your cooking gear, carry a small square of plastic mesh bag like what onions or oranges come in. Works just as good and weighs nothing. Bonus use - wrap it around a rock and fasten with a carabiner, then use it to throw your bear bag line.

2. If you're carrying a digital camera (might work with a phone too... dunno), take the storage card out and then take a picture of a piece of paper with your contact information. That way, if you lose the camera, the first photo that comes up gives the finder everything needed to get your camera back to you. And, you don't have to re-take the photo every time you change storage cards.

3. I carry a laminated card in my first aid baggie that lists my blood type, prescription meds (dose and frequency), allergies, emergency contact info and my health insurance info.

4. Pee bottle.
I cut a circle a threaded a thin cord around it to make a rock bag. Good idea for second use as pot scrubber.

rocketsocks
10-03-2014, 07:05
No need to bring more than one pair of underwear. To extend the life just turn em inside out... a true double duty item. :D

Dogtra
10-03-2014, 07:39
Kilt wearers, who go commando underneath. Be at the end of the line when hiking with a group going up hill. Nuff said.

I rather enjoyed hiking behind them, actually. ;)

rocketsocks
10-03-2014, 07:43
good point :D pun/no pun

...not an image I'd want burned in my memory either.

saltysack
10-03-2014, 07:52

After seeing all the snakes....think I'll wear underwear!!

Bronk
10-03-2014, 12:18

28535I've seen copperheads out at night before.

jimmyjam
10-03-2014, 12:24
I've seen copperheads out at night before.

this is true. most of the overheads i have seen have been at night. that is when they come out to feed on mice. always put on your headlight for those middle of the night nature call.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Tipi Walter
10-03-2014, 12:54
this is true. most of the overheads i have seen have been at night. that is when they come out to feed on mice. always put on your headlight for those middle of the night nature call.

Another true story: Me and my buddy Johnny B were camping on Upper Bald Creek in Pisgah NF and sat around the campfire until about midnight. We go to our separate tents and he yells out "There's a copperhead in my tent vestibule!!"

Yes, it was coiled in the dark right by his tent door. We coaxed it out and moved it into some doghobble. Two lessons---always keep your tent zipped up when not in use and always wear your headlamp.

saltysack
10-03-2014, 13:13
Damn yall keep it up I'm going stay on the couch!!

saltysack
10-03-2014, 13:16
I've hiked a few hundred miles on the AT and never seen anything other than black racer! Do snakes den up when night temperature drops?

Tipi Walter
10-03-2014, 13:26
Snake experts say snakes can be out at temps from 40F and higher. This is strange as a cool snap always seems to discourage the things. BTW, here's a neato black racer (I think) I saw on the Big Stack Gap trail near the BMT---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2008/Ricky-Bobby-and-the-Southern/i-ptrZffS/0/L/Trip%2077%20032-L.jpg

Bronk
10-03-2014, 13:53
Another true story: Me and my buddy Johnny B were camping on Upper Bald Creek in Pisgah NF and sat around the campfire until about midnight. We go to our separate tents and he yells out "There's a copperhead in my tent vestibule!!"

Yes, it was coiled in the dark right by his tent door. We coaxed it out and moved it into some doghobble. Two lessons---always keep your tent zipped up when not in use and always wear your headlamp.Never set up your tent or unroll your sleeping bag until you are ready to get in them.

saltysack
10-03-2014, 13:56

Yes, it was coiled in the dark right by his tent door. We coaxed it out and moved it into some doghobble. Two lessons---always keep your tent zipped up when not in use and always wear your headlamp.

Another reason my arse uses a tent!! No tarp for me!!

hikehunter
10-03-2014, 15:12
rocketsocks.....you forgot that there are at least 4 days to underware. standard, backwards, inside-out, turn around again.:rolleyes:

As to snakes....for every one that you see you most likely have passed by 3 or more you did not see the last few miles...:eek::eek:

rocketsocks
10-03-2014, 15:20
rocketsocks.....you forgot that there are at least 4 days to underware. standard, backwards, inside-out, turn around again.:rolleyes:

As to snakes....for every one that you see you most likely have passed by 3 or more you did not see the last few miles...:eek::eek:
Your right...but you forgot hers and mine.:D

bangorme
10-04-2014, 15:00
Never set up your tent or unroll your sleeping bag until you are ready to get in them.

Why is that? Unless you have a tent without a zipper, I haven't met a snake yet that could unzip a tent.

Nodust
10-04-2014, 15:05

But they are also in the ground for 1/2 of the trip.

squeezebox
10-04-2014, 16:03
Dogtra -- Just be willing to do your turn at the front of the line.

jimmyjam
10-04-2014, 19:32
One of the best tricks I have learned is to carry a couple sheets of newspaper in a ziplock. When your shoes get wet, stuff the newspaper in them at night. They will pull the moisture out of your shoes. Put the wet newspaper back in the ziplock and take it out later and lay the newspaper in the sun to dry and use it again. Also keep the newspaper for a firestarter. Dual purpose.

dangerdave
10-04-2014, 19:39
Shammies work great stuffed in your boots to remove moisture, too. They might not make good fire starters, but they are multi-use.

July
10-04-2014, 19:47
Carry a set of ranger beads so that if I have to bushwack any I can track my distance off trail.

Dogtra
10-05-2014, 00:18
Dogtra -- Just be willing to do your turn at the front of the line.

Copy that, squeezebox. :D

squeezebox
10-05-2014, 04:29
underwear
I actually saw an ad once for 6 day underwear. It was basically a thong so you could turn it 120* every day. Get 3 days that way. then turn it inside out and get another 3 days. Just seems kinda creppy to me. But so does wearing the same undies for a week does too.

RangerZ
10-05-2014, 10:17
Really wants
I cut a circle and threaded a thin cord around it to make a rock bag. Good idea for second use as pot scrubber.

The small shampoo/lotion/mouthwash containers that you get at hotels work well for other things. Some are better for dry things - salt/pepper/Splenda, etc - others with flip tops are good for liquids. I've downsized my DEET into one of them. Liquids work better than something that is usually squeezed from a tube.

I got my BP toothbrush there also, even had a cap. I checked out the kids toothbrushes in the store but couldn't bring myself to buy a Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles model.

Hot Flash
10-05-2014, 10:35

So do I, depending on who it is. There are certainly kilt-wearers that I do NOT want to see upskirt!

Ruffdude
10-05-2014, 11:08

Great idea. I've always put a return address label on my electronics just in case the honest guy finds my lost stuff. Maybe a strip of clear packing tape over it to waterproof.

sfdoc
10-05-2014, 11:16
Coleman Biowipes: biodegradable in 21 days. Amazon.

jjozgrunt
10-05-2014, 21:44
If you have multiple tents and children, always check that the poles and fly's are correct for that tent before going on a multi day hike.

Every hike is easy when sitting in the living room.

Don't pee into the wind.

Never wear your pack while squatting for number 2's.

Never take labels off tins as part of your wt saving plan.

The best way to find the misplaced equipment is to stop looking and order another. You will find the missing one shortly after the new one is broken in.

Never try to save wt by taking the absolute minimum of toilet paper.

Never dig a cat hole in the perfect location with your hands!

To ensure it rains during a dry period don't take a raincoat and/or tent.

Never trust the person that says "It's only a little bit further".

July
10-05-2014, 21:59
Snake experts say snakes can be out at temps from 40F and higher. This is strange as a cool snap always seems to discourage the things. BTW, here's a neato black racer (I think) I saw on the Big Stack Gap trail near the BMT---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2008/Ricky-Bobby-and-the-Southern/i-ptrZffS/0/L/Trip%2077%20032-L.jpg

He was posing fer ya TiPi...

Sarcasm the elf
10-06-2014, 00:13
Carry a set of ranger beads so that if I have to bushwack any I can track my distance off trail.

I was lucky enough to have have Another Kevin teach me how to use these on our three day off trail bushwack in the Catskills. It's amazing how useful those beads can be, also taught me that my stride was shorter than I thought it was.

July
10-06-2014, 04:14

This post musta been a big shin dig...

Tipi Walter
10-06-2014, 09:32

Yes, and I do on occasion play the flute . . . . and he thinks he's a cobra.

July
10-06-2014, 12:04
I was lucky enough to have have Another Kevin teach me how to use these on our three day off trail bushwack in the Catskills. It's amazing how useful those beads can be, also taught me that my stride was shorter than I thought it was.

They do come in handy, I usually have a set on me if in the woods.

July
10-06-2014, 12:06
Yes, and I do on occasion play the flute . . . . and he thinks he's a cobra.

I knew you were talkin' to him, :)

Mr. Jowee
10-06-2014, 23:24
When giving advice, remember that not everyone enjoys the same weather and environment that you do. For instance the old adage "cotton kills" isn't true when hiking in a tropical environment.

Moleskin in your first aid kit is a lot like a plunger in your bathroom; buy it before you need it.

Masons twine is a cheap, lightweight, packable way to hang a bear bag. It also slides over branches crazy easy. Just be careful how you pack it; it can get knotted easily.

hikehunter
10-06-2014, 23:32
Hey..."Rocket"....This is mostly a joke....
If you use some wet wipes and maybe some baby powder u can survive..........

Sarcasm the elf
10-06-2014, 23:32
Masons twine is a cheap, lightweight, packable way to hang a bear bag. It also slides over branches crazy easy. Just be careful how you pack it; it can get knotted easily.

I'll add that they make a few different types of mason's twine, I found that the braided mason twine works much better for this than the twisted mason's twine.

bmanice
10-29-2014, 18:58
Cotton balls in vaseline for a fire starter. Works a treat on the wet days.

saltysack
10-29-2014, 19:21
Mushers secret for dogs paws works good on blisters...

squeezebox
10-29-2014, 21:35
What are ranger beads? And how to use them?

July
10-29-2014, 21:38
What are ranger beads? And how to use them?

Here ya go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pace_count_beads

RangerZ
10-29-2014, 22:47
Here ya go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pace_count_beads

Next we're going to have hikers with dummy cords on everything.

July
10-29-2014, 23:05
Next we're going to have hikers with dummy cords on everything.

Yes you doing some serious Navigation if running some Ranger Beads. Most folks I've run cross can't find the way to hardball 20 yards out.

lemon b
10-31-2014, 21:36
When I did recondo school we just tied a knot in paracord. Are the beads just a new concept to confuse someone who hasn't slept in 3 days? But wait Uncle Bernie ain't that slick.

Damn Yankee
11-01-2014, 21:52

Just remember when going uphill or downhill, your pace count is going to change. Increased going down and decreased going up. Also remember your count when going around an obstical so you now where to start when you get around.

July
11-01-2014, 22:12
Just remember when going uphill or downhill, your pace count is going to change. Increased going down and decreased going up. Also remember your count when going around an obstical so you now where to start when you get around.

Thanks for input, do you have a Tab on your shoulder?

Damn Yankee
11-01-2014, 23:37
I taught map reading and orientation in the military for many years. Not sure what you mean by tab.

squeezebox
11-02-2014, 00:48
So it's basically One stick of an abacus so you can count steps, then estimate distance traveled. Way better than "it feels like I've gone 5 miles" and you really did 2.

July
11-02-2014, 02:51
I taught map reading and orientation in the military for many years. Not sure what you mean by tab.

You are a Dang Leg.... :D

RangerZ
11-02-2014, 23:01
You are a Dang Leg.... :D

Be polite - NAP.

Tab or wings, we are/were soldiers all, that's what counts.

July
11-02-2014, 23:21
Be polite - NAP.

Tab or wings, we are/were soldiers all, that's what counts.

No offence intended whatsoever, I love all my Brothers and Sisters and always will. Being outta Bragg, just had to do a little rib tickling... on a leg.

WILLIAM HAYES
11-03-2014, 23:17
never step over a log without knowing whats on the other side

July
11-03-2014, 23:49
never step over a log without knowing whats on the other side

Well, that goes with'out comment

Tprunty8
11-08-2014, 14:30
Love these posts. I'm taking notes.

WILLIAM HAYES
11-08-2014, 18:07
snakes hunt at night they dont stay in their dens

jimmyjam
11-08-2014, 18:34
snakes hunt at night they dont stay in their dens

so true. especially copper heads. take your light and watch your step for those midnight pee breaks.

dmax
11-09-2014, 14:11
If your out of water or trying to conserve what you have left, find a small rock and put it in your mouth. Your saliva glands will work, trying to brake down the rock.

squeezebox
11-09-2014, 19:23
I don't plan on taking night time pee breaks. I bought a collapsable nalgene wide mouth bottle, 2 oz I believe, to use as a pee bottle. I won't have to get out of my tent, just empty the " chamber pot" in the morning.

Deacon
11-12-2014, 08:13
I don't plan on taking night time pee breaks. I bought a collapsable nalgene wide mouth bottle, 2 oz I believe, to use as a pee bottle. I won't have to get out of my tent, just empty the " chamber pot" in the morning.

Hopefully it's easily distinguishable from your drinking container. [emoji3]

saltysack
11-12-2014, 08:48

That's awful risky...if it leaks,spills or u accidentally mistake for your water bottle...I'd rather save the weight and by sleeping bag just piss outdide

Damn Yankee
11-12-2014, 10:36
No offense has been taken. I had many jobs in the Army. Infantry, Drill Sgt. and MP. Land Nav. was always my favorite and is a dying practice with all the GPS and such.

RangerZ
11-12-2014, 18:35
Thanks for input, do you have a Tab on your shoulder?

I'm so old school that I used to just tie and untie knots.

I have/had a tab on my shoulder and a Tab in my refer.

July
11-12-2014, 20:00
I'm so old school that I used to just tie and untie knots.

I have/had a tab on my shoulder and a Tab in my refer.

I had a set of beads on my pack strap from springer to harpers ferry and through all of those miles only one person inquired about it. I guess most people assumed it was just some sort of hippie decoration :)

July
11-13-2014, 00:50
I had a set of beads on my pack strap from springer to harpers ferry and through all of those miles only one person inquired about it. I guess most people assumed it was just some sort of hippie decoration :)

I came thru the 70's, please Respect....:)

July
11-13-2014, 00:58
I came thru the 70's, please Respect....:)

Actually, 1966 Vietnam, Love My Brothers.

takethisbread
11-13-2014, 06:53
I don't know if this qualifies, but on my thruhike I would leave some of the bigger towns with 6-10 mcdonalds mcdoubles. I got the idea from another hiker. They last at least 5 days probably more in hot conditions, and are very welcome at lunch or dinner. I usually carried out 4 cans of coke too. Just made camp more palatable sometimes.