PDA

View Full Version : My First Smart Phone

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 10:00
Yeah Baby! just got me first smart phone...I'm in. :sun
4S hand me down Apple Iphone

Questions......

Which GPS apps do you use?
Which Down loadable mapping system and or topo's do you use?
Which weather app or PDF's, writing journal, guide books be it trails, birds, or rocks and trees...anything.

and any other fancy doo dads that may be of interest to someone new to the 21st century.

School me please...Word ;)

bigcranky
10-02-2014, 10:12
Gaia GPS is good. You can pre-download the maps when on wi-fi and it will work when out of data range (which is many places on the AT.)

My Radar is good and free. Yahoo Weather is also good and free.

I like Day One for a journal app. My wife used it for all of her journaling this summer on our hike.

There are several good bird apps but they take like 1GB each, which is a lot. I have the Audubon Birds guide.

Get Google Maps for general mapping and GPS use, and the Google App. I use Sunrise for a calendar, I think it's the best free option and it syncs well with Google Calendar, which we use extensively at work and at home.

Old Grouse
Congratulations! I like Google Maps, IBird North America, MyRadar, New England Hiker. And of course things like Pandora, Shazam, Photoshop Express. USA Today, BBC News. And of course, Kindle.

Just Bill
LOL, grats!
Pictures and Tunes- that's all I use mine for.

I do like the Runkeeper App for local stuff. That way I can take a wandering mainly unmarked tramp and get some feedback on how long it actually was and how long it took if I want to try it again.

I also use the ibook app to print PDF's with trip info (from excel/one note) so I don't have to carry hard copies. Useful for storing backups of maps or other critical info too. If you can scan it or print it to PDF, you can use it.
Decent enough to store a book on too.

A friend wrote an entire book on the iPhone by dictating notes to it while she drove to work- good way to journal if that's your thing.
I use OneNote from Microsoft for that sort of thing personally, if you have the Office suite then it stays synced up on all devices you own.

Battery life is good, but IME, best saved for the above tasks. You've got this far without GPS, why start now?:D

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Instant-Charger-Made-iPhone/dp/B0093GIN3S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1412258895&sr=8-4&keywords=energizer+phone+charger

Works well, and gives nearly two full charges.

The weather Channel or WeatherBug- both good apps.

Get a spare headphone or "running" sweatproof headphone- the IPhone earbuds are very humidity sensitive.
At camp- put the phone speaker down into your cookpot for impromptu speakers.

rafe
10-02-2014, 10:15
I'm an Android user... Galaxy S4. Main impact for me has been the camera within the phone, which is surprisingly good, just using the stock apps. It's so good, in fact that I've stopped carrying a separate, dedicated camera. Kind of a big deal (for me) considering I walked most of the AT with a 35 mm SLR.

I'm not an expert in GPS usage, but I've been using Maprika for local hikes. I hope you don't mind Android apps being discussed here -- I'm very interested in what folks are using. Maybe even a discussion of power options... very important!

I'm wary of becoming overly-dependent on the phone, but I have noticed that they've been readily adopted by thru-hikers, for all sorts of purposes. Books, lists, charts that used to be on paper can now be viewed as PDFs. Etc. etc.

Just Bill
10-02-2014, 10:16
I'm an Android user... Galaxy S4. Main impact for me has been the camera within the phone, which is surprisingly good, just using the stock apps. It's so good, in fact that I've stopped carrying a separate, dedicated camera. Kind of a big deal (for me) considering I walked most of the AT with a 35 mm SLR.

I'm not an expert in GPS usage, but I've been using Maprika for local hikes. I hope you don't mind Android apps being discussed here -- I'm very interested in what folks are using. Maybe even a discussion of power options... very important!

I'm wary of becoming overly-dependent on the phone, but I have noticed that they've been readily adopted by thru-hikers, for all sorts of purposes. Books, lists, charts that used to be on paper can now be viewed as PDFs. Etc. etc.

Regarding power for your device-
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Instant-Charger-Mobile-Phones/dp/B0093GIME8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412258895&sr=8-1&keywords=energizer+phone+charger

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 10:25
You guys are the best...keep em comin folks, maybe we'll all learn a little something...Doesn't have to be apple related...whatever your using is fine, many people switch brands from time to time...so keep em coming. and thanks all, really helpful this is a I am some what techno challenged....but gettin better all the time thanks to White blaze.

rafe
10-02-2014, 10:30
Thanks, JB. I've got something similar I got at Best Buy; it charges from any USB wall-wart and gives (supposedly) about 2 full charges. The one you cite is interesting in that it takes AAA batteries, that could be useful in some situations. I guess these things come in all shapes and sizes, so it comes down to just how much weight one is willing to carry in order to keep one's smartphone alive.

If you consider the weight of the guidebooks, maps (etc.) that the phone might hold, maybe a few extra oz. of battery power isn't so bad.

With some Android phones you can even buy an oversized (internal) battery and custom back for the phone. I like this option but I also like the case I've got on my phone, and I'm sure they're not compatible.

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 10:47
here's the battery pack I've been using...works great tons a juice. it goes on sale often so don't pay full price.

http://www.amazon.com/10000mAh-Dual-Port-Compact-External-Portable/dp/B009USAJCC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412261127&sr=8-3&keywords=anker+batteries

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ay8SY3l4L._SL1500_.jpg

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 10:53
Regarding power for your device-
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Instant-Charger-Mobile-Phones/dp/B0093GIME8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412258895&sr=8-1&keywords=energizer+phone+charger

got this one for my ipod a while ago...great for day hiking when I just may need a little more power and don't feel like bringing my big battery pack...o'coarse the trade off is buying batt tries...$$$...get em on sale

http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-PS71-BT6-2-Hour-Power-Apple/dp/B00D2ZQ6XU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1412261412&sr=8-8&keywords=battery+for+ipod+cr123

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vQgc9-4WL.jpg

OCDave
10-02-2014, 12:34
Starwalk! Provides easy identification and interesting information about celestial bodies including man-made satellites. Coolest app I've used while spending a night outdoors.

Fredt4
10-02-2014, 15:32
A extra power pack is worth considering. If you had an Android you could just carry 2 or 3 extra batteries, but since it's an iPhone that's not an option. Tried various solar power solutions but none really worked when hiking, perhaps for base camps but not for backpacking. AAA Batteries seems like a good solution.

Alligator
10-02-2014, 17:04
here's the battery pack I've been using...works great tons a juice. it goes on sale often so don't pay full price.

http://www.amazon.com/10000mAh-Dual-Port-Compact-External-Portable/dp/B009USAJCC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412261127&sr=8-3&keywords=anker+batteries

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ay8SY3l4L._SL1500_.jpgHow much does it weigh?

TNhiker
10-02-2014, 17:08
hey rocketsocks----

there's an app called tune in radio......

and on that there's a Grateful Dead station that just plays show after show after show along with the Grateful Dead hour....

can use the headphone jack to plug it into a stereo system and speakers...

rafe
10-02-2014, 17:21
There's also archive.org, which has pretty much every live GD show there ever was, for download or for streaming.

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 19:11
How much does it weigh?
Pretty heavy by most folks standards...8.2 ounces. I chalk it up to a luxury item and just call it fixed though.

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 19:12
hey rocketsocks----

there's an app called tune in radio......

and on that there's a Grateful Dead station that just plays show after show after show along with the Grateful Dead hour....

can use the headphone jack to plug it into a stereo system and speakers...

There's also archive.org, which has pretty much every live GD show there ever was, for download or for streaming.
Nice...Booked marked! :)

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 19:15
Starwalk! Provides easy identification and interesting information about celestial bodies including man-made satellites. Coolest app I've used while spending a night outdoors.
all over this one...pretty neat app. I could maybe name five or six constellation, bunch of messier objects, but this is just down right cool, I like the "blue print" greek pictorial overlays.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2014, 19:40
RS you can throw away the Rayovac its too costly to run effectively. The I phone that you have is the same one I use for work and it goes about three days with calls and emails. The Anker will charge it several times and the best part is that as soon as it detects your phone is charged the circuit switches off the Anker to prevent accidental discharge. It will stretch the smart phone for more than a week.

kayak karl
10-02-2014, 21:13
very happy for you :)

Sent from my 7th SMARTPHONE using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 21:43
RS you can throw away the Rayovac its too costly to run effectively. The I phone that you have is the same one I use for work and it goes about three days with calls and emails. The Anker will charge it several times and the best part is that as soon as it detects your phone is charged the circuit switches off the Anker to prevent accidental discharge. It will stretch the smart phone for more than a week.
Well again,I like the Rayovac for convenience, weight, small profile in my pocket, certainly not cost effective, but sometimes cost isn't the only variable to deal with...and yep, the Anker you laid me on to....it's been great.

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 21:45
very happy for you :)

Sent from my 7th SMARTPHONE using Tapatalk
...been a long time comin...#1 daughter got a new one for her birthday...so daddy gets the hand me downs.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2014, 21:45
That we can agree with - I held back as I use both the Iphone 4 and Android I have several posts on apps... but my best notes are on the other website not here.

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 21:48
That we can agree with - I held back as I use both the Iphone 4 and Android I have several posts on apps... but my best notes are on the other website not here.
copy/paste works wonders.

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 21:49
copy/paste works wonders.
...otherwise what the point.

July
10-02-2014, 22:05
...otherwise what the point.

My "old" gear...28547 I need to upgrade...

kayak karl
10-02-2014, 22:13
in my basement and still works :)>

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 22:20
...try callin' 800 numbers with this and not orderin' a pizza by mistake.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrlzf2tyI1kUzXg8TtY4L9xGVdyAU4X 6rkgu1WSgBcacMOdwdWVw:9waysmysteryschool.tripod.co m/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/bullroar.jpg

Riocielo
10-03-2014, 03:34
Rocketsocks, I have this charger as well and I love it. I can recharge my Samsung gs4 about the times with it.

It is a little heavier than I expected, though.

Also, I love Anker products. They have tremendous customer service.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ay8SY3l4L._SL1500_.jpg

rocketsocks
10-03-2014, 07:49
Yep, little heavy. I just got this thing last winter, and it consistently has been charging my ipod about 5 to 6 times, plenty to get someone between town stops, I'd imagine.

Just Bill
10-03-2014, 11:57
Thanks, JB. I've got something similar I got at Best Buy; it charges from any USB wall-wart and gives (supposedly) about 2 full charges. The one you cite is interesting in that it takes AAA batteries, that could be useful in some situations. I guess these things come in all shapes and sizes, so it comes down to just how much weight one is willing to carry in order to keep one's smartphone alive.

If you consider the weight of the guidebooks, maps (etc.) that the phone might hold, maybe a few extra oz. of battery power isn't so bad.

With some Android phones you can even buy an oversized (internal) battery and custom back for the phone. I like this option but I also like the case I've got on my phone, and I'm sure they're not compatible.

I choose the energizer one because of the batteries. Charger itself weighs little, the batteries though can (obviously) be used for other things which is nice. Sometimes I can go a whole section on the original charge, other times I need a few boosts. Sometimes the headlamp doesn't make it and I can give a little boost to the phone with the used batteries and put the fresh ones in the headlamp. Even on a regulated LED light, the last 25% of the battery is still a bit dull- but works fine for charging the phone- so that system has been pretty handy.

On the AT or for weeklong trips, one of the Anchor type packs is probably fine. The issue I had, besides weight, was charging time. Not the end of the world if you have a zero or nero, but around me they aren't as hiker friendly and willing to let you hang out and charge up for a few hours.

Also- no matter what trail you're on- or how friendly the store- you can always buy a few batteries nearly anywhere if you don't get to plug in or want to keep moving.

The extra battery cases are nice(like the mophie), but for on the trail, I was too concerned about waterproof needs. The life proof cases meet that need, but won't play nice with other cases. And again, one more thing to charge...

SOCKS-
only thing to be careful about- the 4S is at the end of the update spectrum, so many new apps may not work well. Also- the iOS updates themselves seem to gobble up half the memory on the 16gb phones. Just a thought before you get too in love. 4gb of music and a few reserved to take picks will probably damn near fill it up.:(

lonehiker
10-03-2014, 14:12
Yeah Baby! just got me first smart phone...I'm in. :sun
4S hand me down Apple Iphone

Questions......

Which GPS apps do you use?
Which Down loadable mapping system and or topo's do you use?
Which weather app or PDF's, writing journal, guide books be it trails, birds, or rocks and trees...anything.

and any other fancy doo dads that may be of interest to someone new to the 21st century.

School me please...Word ;)

Seems that few actually addressed your question in regards to apps. Most posts have been in regards to how to charge the darn thing. Maybe there is something to be learned from this.....

rocketsocks
10-03-2014, 14:34
Seems that few actually addressed your question in regards to apps. Most posts have been in regards to how to charge the darn thing. Maybe there is something to be learned from this.....
Well one app I've already down loaded is the astronomy app...that thing is way cool...uses a lot of space though. Right up my alley this app is. Thanks Dave it was a good one.

also downloaded map rims last year, good app but it wasn't working the way I wanted it to on my I pod, so I ditched and have since uploaded one called Avena I think which "Off Shore" tuned me onto. It allows for downloading through iTunes and I've loaded the NY/NJ trail conference maps of the AT in N. Jersey. Can't link it right now but will when I'm back at my computer.

rocketsocks
10-03-2014, 18:19
Well one app I've already down loaded is the astronomy app...that thing is way cool...uses a lot of space though. Right up my alley this app is. Thanks Dave it was a good one.

also downloaded map rims last year, good app but it wasn't working the way I wanted it to on my I pod, so I ditched and have since uploaded one called Avena I think which "Off Shore" tuned me onto. It allows for downloading through iTunes and I've loaded the NY/NJ trail conference maps of the AT in N. Jersey. Can't link it right now but will when I'm back at my computer.
Here's the maps app I'm using that "OffShore" recommended...I like it a lot.

http://www.avenza.com/pdf-maps

...and here's one that "Lazurus" told me about last year, that I liked but my system at the time was not liking it.

Maprika

http://www.maprika.com/

Teacher & Snacktime
10-03-2014, 18:26
Two weeks ago, my older son gave me a beautiful smart phone with a plan that carries 10G (whatever that is), and unlimited talk and text. It was mostly touchscreen (which I abhor), but it had the QWERTY keypad that slid out (which I loved). It was a shiny blue metallic LG with lots and lots of bells and whistles (that I never figured out how to use) and things called widgets.

Notice this is all past tense. I had it 5 days and lost it....uninsured.

The day before we left on our trip I replaced it for a cheapo go-phone, flip style. This I'll probably never loose and won't care if it falls off the mountain.

But now I can text to my heart's content.

joedperk
10-03-2014, 18:36
I like MotionX GPS... has a lot of nice features... Has a neat feature where your family can keep up with your hikes, via internet... you can download offline maps.. gps coordinates for trails..... think they even have a free version to try out...

rocketsocks
10-03-2014, 18:44
I choose the energizer one because of the batteries. Charger itself weighs little, the batteries though can (obviously) be used for other things which is nice. Sometimes I can go a whole section on the original charge, other times I need a few boosts. Sometimes the headlamp doesn't make it and I can give a little boost to the phone with the used batteries and put the fresh ones in the headlamp. Even on a regulated LED light, the last 25% of the battery is still a bit dull- but works fine for charging the phone- so that system has been pretty handy.

On the AT or for weeklong trips, one of the Anchor type packs is probably fine. The issue I had, besides weight, was charging time. Not the end of the world if you have a zero or nero, but around me they aren't as hiker friendly and willing to let you hang out and charge up for a few hours.

Also- no matter what trail you're on- or how friendly the store- you can always buy a few batteries nearly anywhere if you don't get to plug in or want to keep moving.

The extra battery cases are nice(like the mophie), but for on the trail, I was too concerned about waterproof needs. The life proof cases meet that need, but won't play nice with other cases. And again, one more thing to charge...

SOCKS-
only thing to be careful about- the 4S is at the end of the update spectrum, so many new apps may not work well. Also- the iOS updates themselves seem to gobble up half the memory on the 16gb phones. Just a thought before you get too in love. 4gb of music and a few reserved to take picks will probably damn near fill it up.:(

Figured out this last night wen I had to remove a bunch of stuff while trying to down load the astronomy app, but that's ok, I love the new app, and the stuff I got rid of I hadn't really used in a while. But, when I out grown this one, my kids hopefully will hit me up (whats wrong with this picture :confused: deer ol' dad gets bonned again...but there good kids, and as long as they keep there grades up...meh, only money), for a new and improved as seems to be the formula....and then I'll glom onto the 5's or 6's I forget what they have.

I too like the availability of the batteries for the plug and go units, many reason why this a a great solution...but certainly not something for the long term user, or one requiring lots of juice, and like you said you can plug in and go, no waitin' around town to charge. I love my little charger. :) ...and the big in too.

rocketsocks
10-03-2014, 18:50
Two weeks ago, my older son gave me a beautiful smart phone with a plan that carries 10G (whatever that is), and unlimited talk and text. It was mostly touchscreen (which I abhor), but it had the QWERTY keypad that slid out (which I loved). It was a shiny blue metallic LG with lots and lots of bells and whistles (that I never figured out how to use) and things called widgets.

Notice this is all past tense. I had it 5 days and lost it....uninsured.

The day before we left on our trip I replaced it for a cheapo go-phone, flip style. This I'll probably never loose and won't care if it falls off the mountain.

But now I can text to my heart's content.
oh no :eek:, so sorry to hear that. But know that you've saved yourself a ton of aggravation...when theses things work, they're great, when they don't and get finicky and affect every other computer program you have, they..... well, I can't say here @%$#*&. :mad:;)

rocketsocks
10-03-2014, 18:52
I like MotionX GPS... has a lot of nice features... Has a neat feature where your family can keep up with your hikes, via internet... you can download offline maps.. gps coordinates for trails..... think they even have a free version to try out...
Thanks joedperk, will check that one out as well.

Traveler
10-04-2014, 09:00
Some apps you may enjoy:

Weather Underground (Free and shows as WU on a black background) has a great weather application that will target the nearest reporting station to your location, showing live radar (animates weather) and a host of supporting information from general week long forecasts to dew point levels. I have avoided serious weather using this feature that kept me holed up as it boiled past and can plan for a cold night wind that may come from a non prevailing direction, etc.

For navigation back up there is Motion X GPS application ($3), though it is a power pig. I don't use this unless my primary hand held GPS goes down, however it has been useful in the past.

The Audubon collection of Birds, Animals, Plants, and Trees in a single app ($5) is a great reference tool to identify things you run across all over North America.

Trails.com has an app you can use to find trails, you have to have a subscription to download this app.

Compass - there are dozens of compass apps that can be very useful, most of them are free.

Beacon - Unsure if there is a cost for this or not, but its used to plant a "beacon" by a car in a very big parking lot for example, so you can find your way back to it. I have used this to stash packs near roads and find my way back to the pack if I return after dark or in bad weather that can cause confusion.

Applications on Smartphones can be surprisingly adept when you are in range of cell towers, very few work on the GPS system satellites but some like Motion X can. These apps can be a tremendous power drain on these (especially Motion X), you have to be sure to manage your applications and keep them from running in the background when not using them, and keep them from updating automatically.

rocketsocks
10-04-2014, 14:05
Some apps you may enjoy:

Weather Underground (Free and shows as WU on a black background) has a great weather application that will target the nearest reporting station to your location, showing live radar (animates weather) and a host of supporting information from general week long forecasts to dew point levels. I have avoided serious weather using this feature that kept me holed up as it boiled past and can plan for a cold night wind that may come from a non prevailing direction, etc.

For navigation back up there is Motion X GPS application ($3), though it is a power pig. I don't use this unless my primary hand held GPS goes down, however it has been useful in the past.

The Audubon collection of Birds, Animals, Plants, and Trees in a single app ($5) is a great reference tool to identify things you run across all over North America.

Trails.com has an app you can use to find trails, you have to have a subscription to download this app.

Compass - there are dozens of compass apps that can be very useful, most of them are free.

Beacon - Unsure if there is a cost for this or not, but its used to plant a "beacon" by a car in a very big parking lot for example, so you can find your way back to it. I have used this to stash packs near roads and find my way back to the pack if I return after dark or in bad weather that can cause confusion.

Applications on Smartphones can be surprisingly adept when you are in range of cell towers, very few work on the GPS system satellites but some like Motion X can. These apps can be a tremendous power drain on these (especially Motion X), you have to be sure to manage your applications and keep them from running in the background when not using them, and keep them from updating automatically.
That is one thing I've leaned/learning to do, very helpful. Airplane mode seems to handle it all, but I may be missing some things I don't know about, any thoughts on his...or is it best to just manage each individually?

Thanks for the app suggestions, will check all those out.

Traveler
10-04-2014, 14:50
That is one thing I've leaned/learning to do, very helpful. Airplane mode seems to handle it all, but I may be missing some things I don't know about, any thoughts on his...or is it best to just manage each individually?

Airplane mode also prevents email, text, voice calls, navigation, and map apps from working (they need to get a signal to a tower or satellite), and it is easy to forget to turn on. Frankly, it doesn't sound like a bad idea to keep the Airplane mode on all the time and I use that a lot.

I prefer to manage apps individually. You should be able to shut down the auto update feature on these things with a single switch in the control panel of your Smartphone. It doesn't impact the app, but will usually put an indicator on the app button telling you there is an update for it. Then you can manually do the update when you have power.

rocketsocks
10-04-2014, 15:00
Airplane mode also prevents email, text, voice calls, navigation, and map apps from working (they need to get a signal to a tower or satellite), and it is easy to forget to turn on. Frankly, it doesn't sound like a bad idea to keep the Airplane mode on all the time and I use that a lot.

I prefer to manage apps individually. You should be able to shut down the auto update feature on these things with a single switch in the control panel of your Smartphone. It doesn't impact the app, but will usually put an indicator on the app button telling you there is an update for it. Then you can manually do the update when you have power.Sounds like a plan, yeah I just gotta sit with each one an fool around with them, been leery of flippin' those switches. thanks AT Traveler.

rafe
10-04-2014, 16:19
Airplane mode is the way to go -- I've more or less figured that out for my Galaxy S4. I'd guess in that mode the phone could stay alive for at least 3 or 4 days (on stock battery.) It seemed to lose maybe 10-15% capacity per day in that mode, turning it on just to take photos or send a few text messages per day.

rocketsocks
10-10-2014, 20:32
oh no :eek:, so sorry to hear that. But know that you've saved yourself a ton of aggravation...when theses things work, they're great, when they don't and get finicky and affect every other computer program you have, they..... well, I can't say here @%$#*&. :mad:;)
...and as it were, this past week I spent about 2 hours at the iphone store having them wipe the phone clean and restore as it locked up...crashed. so far so good...running great, but as I said, they can be tons of aggravation.

I think it was something to do with me charging from my computer and it not recognizing the devise, and it only gave me the option to restore...ugh! that means reloaded everything without a viable backup this was a pain. The iphone store tech said "put on it what you want, and then update from the icloud and never plug it back into your computer again, charge from the wall instead"...works for me. :) thanks tech guy!

rocketsocks
10-10-2014, 20:37
Airplane mode is the way to go -- I've more or less figured that out for my Galaxy S4. I'd guess in that mode the phone could stay alive for at least 3 or 4 days (on stock battery.) It seemed to lose maybe 10-15% capacity per day in that mode, turning it on just to take photos or send a few text messages per day.
that is almost exactly what my numbers are as well, though I've be playing with the new toy left and right...Neato Burrito this thing is...I'm a fan of technology, got all my books on there, music out the wazoo, whiteblaze o'coarse, movies, word games, weather, field guides, maps...ect ect well you guys know. I'll still hump a book in the woods though...nothin like a good book. :)

July
10-10-2014, 21:14
that is almost exactly what my numbers are as well, though I've be playing with the new toy left and right...Neato Burrito this thing is...I'm a fan of technology, got all my books on there, music out the wazoo, whiteblaze o'coarse, movies, word games, weather, field guides, maps...ect ect well you guys know. I'll still hump a book in the woods though...nothin like a good book. :)

Socks you are seriously making me contemplate upgrading from my multi years old tracphone. I was feeling pretty highspeed with the calculator, alarm, mp3 and calender :D Funny side note, last year in the NC highcountry a few of us hit a road and checked service for a shuttle. iphones, galaxys, etc, and my humble lil tracphone was the only one to pull service signal :) Who wudda thought...

rocketsocks
10-10-2014, 22:44
Socks you are seriously making me contemplate upgrading from my multi years old tracphone. I was feeling pretty highspeed with the calculator, alarm, mp3 and calender :D Funny side note, last year in the NC highcountry a few of us hit a road and checked service for a shuttle. iphones, galaxys, etc, and my humble lil tracphone was the only one to pull service signal :) Who wudda thought...
I've personally only been on the net about 7 years now, gots lots a catchin up to do, fun stuff. we had a computer at the house, but I never used it really....didn't know how, MS Dos way back when.

Venchka
10-10-2014, 23:12
Tapatalk for this and many other Forums.
Cardiio. The coolest heart rate monitor. +1 for Runkeeper. Argus is a great pedometer. I leave it turned on all the and the phone in my pocket. Tracks steps. You could navigate with it.
iTunes (the app) for home computer and phone. Syncs all my tunes with the phone. Rips CDs too. Don't leave home without your tunes.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

July
10-11-2014, 02:18
I've personally only been on the net about 7 years now, gots lots a catchin up to do, fun stuff. we had a computer at the house, but I never used it really....didn't know how, MS Dos way back when.
Rasty said you are a Friend, come Home young Man :)

Rolex
10-11-2014, 13:40

Rs, there is a compass built in the utilities. It has a couple of tricks also.
After the calibration and laying flat like you are going to use it, tapping the dial will "lock" the heading in and if you deviate from your course, draw a red arc showing you to be off course.

Under the numbers on the bottom are two dots showing a second page.
Swiping your finger from right to left brings up a level.
Standing the phone on either edge transforms the level to the bubble type to hang a picture straight, get tent uphill end, etc.

Don't trust it as a compass due to using cell signals for triangulation but free,built in and fun to play with. I use the level all the time around the house.

rocketsocks
10-11-2014, 16:10
Rasty said you are a Friend, come Home young Man :)Rasty is a good dude!

rocketsocks
10-11-2014, 16:18
Rs, there is a compass built in the utilities. It has a couple of tricks also.
After the calibration and laying flat like you are going to use it, tapping the dial will "lock" the heading in and if you deviate from your course, draw a red arc showing you to be off course.

Under the numbers on the bottom are two dots showing a second page.
Swiping your finger from right to left brings up a level.
Standing the phone on either edge transforms the level to the bubble type to hang a picture straight, get tent uphill end, etc.

Don't trust it as a compass due to using cell signals for triangulation but free,built in and fun to play with. I use the level all the time around the house.
I've been looking at the Motion X, thanks for the tips/tricks, but may opt out of the whole GPS app thing altogether...so to speak. Proprietary GPS seems like it would be a huge drain on the battery. I'm running some other map app right now, that one alone is quite a draw...so just not sure now If I want to go the GPS route. I may just stick with Map apps through Avenza, and purchased maps of particular areas and the occasional "find me" satellite view. While tracking is a way cool feature, the power consumed may be more than I care to fool with. Thanks Rolex for the suggestions.

freightliner
10-11-2014, 19:45
A couple apps you might like to think about is CamFind. This app is great all you do is take a picture and it will search the web to find out what you're looking at. So if you see a flower and wonder what it is just take a picture and it will look it up on the web for you. The one app you should have front and center is the Pizza Hut app. There is nothing better then order a pizza and have it waiting for you at the shelter when you get there. I mean really who can wait to have pizza delivered. I usually end up pacing like a caged animal. You might just be amazed of how many Pizza Hut are along the trail that will deliver. Now if there was only an app for someone to deliver beer to the trail life would be perfect.

Traveler
10-12-2014, 06:58
I've been looking at the Motion X, thanks for the tips/tricks, but may opt out of the whole GPS app thing altogether...so to speak. Proprietary GPS seems like it would be a huge drain on the battery. I'm running some other map app right now, that one alone is quite a draw...so just not sure now If I want to go the GPS route. I may just stick with Map apps through Avenza, and purchased maps of particular areas and the occasional "find me" satellite view. While tracking is a way cool feature, the power consumed may be more than I care to fool with. Thanks Rolex for the suggestions.

The Motion-X app is good, but for use on long hikes or multiple days a hand held GPS unit would be better. Motion-X takes a lot of horsepower to run and will take a battery down fairly quickly. For short time use (hour or two), it won't have too high of a battery drain but will take my phone down to zero in about 7 hours.

Deacon
10-12-2014, 07:53
The Motion-X app is good, but for use on long hikes or multiple days a hand held GPS unit would be better. Motion-X takes a lot of horsepower to run and will take a battery down fairly quickly. For short time use (hour or two), it won't have too high of a battery drain but will take my phone down to zero in about 7 hours.

I concur. I use Motion-X just going for a walk at my local park, and I can say it drain battery very quickly. I have an iPhone 5, and when charged to 100%, two hours of Motion-X will take it down to around 65%. Not practical for trail use IMHO.

karo
10-13-2014, 14:42
I use the Newtrent Power Pack Extreme and it will charge everything you need for a week. Being Waterproof is what sold me on it. A little pricy but I got it on sale and shipped under 50 bucks. I also use a lifeguard case by otterbox of my cell esp. for use around water or wet conditions. You only need to be careful while charging because you have to open up the seals to run your charging cord.

fredmugs
10-15-2014, 07:31
I use Mapmyhike. I can use it for walking, biking, hiking, etc and it will track my distance, pace, etc plus log all of my workouts. Most trails are already on there.

If you get on the PCT then Halfmile's App is a must.