PDA

View Full Version : Bond Peaks

Damn Yankee
10-02-2014, 20:19
Bag is packed and ready to fly out on Sunday to meet up with the Wounded Warrior Project. There will be three of us hiking Bond Peak, West Bond and Bond Cliff next week. Very excited. I looked at the weather and it appears there is a chance of rain three days but looks nice for thurs/Fri. I received my new Cuben tarp which has a metallic finish on the inside, kind of like a space blanket which is supposed to help reflect heat(we'll see) but, anxious to try it out. We will stay at Highland Hut(I believe that's what it's called) on Sunday and start to hike Monday and will stay in a hut Monday, Tuesday, tent on Wed. and a hut on Thurs. and finish out at Highland Hut to clean up and fly back home. Looking forward to a great time, hoping the foliage isn't past peak.

peakbagger
10-03-2014, 02:29
The highland center it very high end hotel in Crawford notch but by the AMXC. I would expect the foliage will still be great

Damn Yankee
10-03-2014, 04:35
Thanks for the reply. I am originally from N.E. so it will be nice to see some real colors. We just don't have the climate conducive to good colors here in VA.

Slo-go'en
10-03-2014, 11:03
You maybe a week late for the foliage. The leafs are dropping quickly, I'd say over 50% are off the trees around here already and the color is fading on what's left. With a big rain storm/strong wind coming for Sat/Sun that will be the end of it. There will no doubt be some color left, but well past peak. We've had an exceptionally dry September (4th driest in 100 years) and I think that has stressed the trees so their dropping early. It was "raining leafs" as Rafe and I ended our hike in Grafton notch this last weekend.

Because it's been so dry, stock up on water when you find it, although the rain this weekend might help that situation some. Otherwise, the temps look like they will stay unseasonably warm next week and it should be a nice hike even if the color is the valleys is a bit muted.

Damn Yankee
10-03-2014, 17:11
Thanks for the update. Hopefully there will be some color left. Leaves are falling here quickly also. I'm not sure as to the water situation but, will fill up 2 liters before I leave the Highland. Because the AMC is involved and we will be staying in huts, they may have water up there but, I guess I'll find out when I arrive. I was hoping for clearer weather as I like sleeping under the stars but, looks like a good possibility for rain on 3 days. I like sleeping outside so, I am bringing my tarp. If I wanted to sleep in a house, I'd stay home. Know what I mean?

Slo-go'en
10-03-2014, 19:03
Thanks for the update. Hopefully there will be some color left. Leaves are falling here quickly also. I'm not sure as to the water situation but, will fill up 2 liters before I leave the Highland. Because the AMC is involved and we will be staying in huts, they may have water up there but, I guess I'll find out when I arrive. I was hoping for clearer weather as I like sleeping under the stars but, looks like a good possibility for rain on 3 days. I like sleeping outside so, I am bringing my tarp. If I wanted to sleep in a house, I'd stay home. Know what I mean?

If your staying at a hut, there is no option but to stay inside, rain or no rain. Local TV weather reports possible rain over night Tuesday into early Wednesday morning with the rest of the week fine. So you should be okay, but the clouds can linger in the mountains for a while. Hopefully they will burn off by afternoon.

rickb
10-03-2014, 21:24
The highland center it very high end hotel in Crawford notch but by the AMXC. I would expect the foliage will still be great

Finally. Peakbagger has made a post that is not spot on. :)

It had to happen sometime.

That said, while the Highland center is not the Mount Washington hotel just up the road (which has a terrific porch and serves cocktails if beer served at the Highland Center is not doing it for you) it is hardly roughing it.

Be sure to check out the Bradford Washburn's photography exhibit in the building next door to the Highland Center. Photos are fab, and the story and man behind them even more so.

Damn Yankee
10-03-2014, 23:39
I will do that, thanks for the tips guys