PDA

View Full Version : Brasstown Bald - At Night

AO2134
10-03-2014, 12:45
I am planning a easy day hike, and I want to finish at Brasstown Bald for sunset and a little night sky viewing.

Has anyone gotten a look at the night sky from Brasstown Bald observation tower? I read somewhere that the night sky is great up there. Can I get into and out of the visitor center after hours? I don't mind paying the $5 parking fee, but I don't want to be locked in at night. Do they close the tower off after hours? Can I get up the tower after hours?

Thanks All!

No Directions
10-03-2014, 18:48
I haven't been to BB in years so I can't answer your question but have you considered Yonah Mtn? It has a large clearing at or near the top.

daddytwosticks
10-04-2014, 16:47
If you don't mind driving further north, consider Standing Indian Mountain. Park at Deep Gap and hike/camp at the top. I think it's an easy 2 or 3 mile hike up and some good camping spots on top. For an adventure on a true bald, consider Silers Bald outside of Franklin, NC. 4 mile hike to the top. Unbelievable views. :)

2Ply
10-04-2014, 21:18
I been up there several times for meteor showers and stayed in the parking lot for more open sky viewing. The tower walk way is open but not sure about the views.