PDA

View Full Version : geartrade.com

10-K
10-03-2014, 13:06
Does anyone use this site? I can't quite figure it out. Is it regular people selling used gear or what?

Most of it seems to be so close to retail price that if I wanted it I'd just spend a few more dollars and buy a new one...

The Cleaner
10-03-2014, 13:11
I'd like the 411 also. A Google shopping search for an item directed me there. The item description said " good as new". Then more item info showed that this item was a return and now discontinued from Backcountry.com...:confused:

jarrett.morgan
10-03-2014, 14:26
I've looked at the site a few times because google directed me there, but it always seems to be either sold out or a damaged unit from some retailer.

10-K
10-03-2014, 14:32
I've looked at the site a few times because google directed me there, but it always seems to be either sold out or a damaged unit from some retailer.

This is what I'm wondering! Is it like a site kinda like the Island of Misfit Toys for retailers and other businesses to unload stuff they can't sell?

I don't get the vibe that it's regular people like me and you trying to sell something we're not using.

eblanche
10-04-2014, 12:10
I've sold a few items on there but have never bought anything. When I first started using it, there were way more "normal people" like myself rather than the odds and ends you can find on there now from online retailers like backcountry. I still check it out if I'm looking to buy something but it is mostly just a great resource to sell specialized items like backpacking gear to like minded people.

James GAME2009
10-06-2014, 16:21
I have bought and sold on GearTrade. It's a decent site. I believe it is owned by Backcountry.com. They use it to sell returned items, hence the huge number of barely-used gear listings. They do not discount items much and often you are better off buying the item online somewhere for 20% off. GearTrade is not advertised much, which is why there are not a tremendous number of private listings. That said, one can still find a good deal every now and again. To sell on GearTrade, it is much like eBay fixed-price listings. There are no insertion fees and they take 12% at the end. It takes a bit longer to get your money as the buyer pays GearTrade and then GearTrade mails you a check a few weeks after the sale.

doug105
10-06-2014, 21:49
My wife got a granite gear crown vc for 1/2 price it looked brand new to us. That was less than they were asking but she 'made an offer'.
She also got a great deal on some cycling shoes. Everything seemed to go smoothly on these transactions.

DougN