PDA

View Full Version : Freestanding tents you like

OnThePath
10-03-2014, 19:45
the shelter discussions are usually dominated by tarp tents. My cousin has epilepsy and Asked me to find him a tent. His only request is that it is freestanding. I would like to find something sturdy, roomy and hopefully not to heavy:-?. Any Ideas where to look would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

DavidNH
10-03-2014, 19:57
so tell me your definition of "not too heavy." Freestanding tents are generally heavier than tarp tents as there is the added weight of poles. Also.. one person or two? Often with two person free standing tents one can share the gear and keep things light. Otherwise.. you are looking at 4-6 pounds in weight for complete tent.

As to where to find freestanding tents .. hmm depends on your budget. On pricey end.. try www.hilleberg.com. If you want to spend just a couple hundred or less consider www.rei.com, eastern mountain sports (ems.com), and possibly llbean.com

July
10-03-2014, 20:00
MSR makes some nice freestanding tents. Ex. the Hubbas and carbon reflex.

swjohnsey
10-03-2014, 20:08
How freestanding is free standing? The MSR Hubba and BA Flycreek both require a couple of stakes. The Flycreek is around 2 lbs and the Hubba is little more. Flycreek is front entry and Hubba side entry. Both very nice tents.

Tipi Walter
10-03-2014, 20:48
How freestanding is free standing? The MSR Hubba and BA Flycreek both require a couple of stakes. The Flycreek is around 2 lbs and the Hubba is little more. Flycreek is front entry and Hubba side entry. Both very nice tents.

This has been discussed before in previous WB threads. There are few real free standing tents as swjohnsey mentions since if the fly needs to be staked out it is not freestanding. The complete tent, fly and all, should be able to be lifted and moved. Of course no one would actually leave a freestanding tent unstaked.

Bibler/Black Diamond come to mind. Several Hilleberg models (Staika, Allak, Soulo). Integral Designs MK3. Even cheaper tents like some Coleman wedge (dome) tents as below are freestanding. A few TarpTents are too, like the Scarp with the crossover poles.

http://r1.coleman.com/ProductImages/Full/2000007826_500.jpg

Old Hiker
10-03-2014, 21:03
I got several of these on Steep and Cheap for about $85 a couple years back. Haven't seen them in a while, but I got a couple more a few months ago. The new color is NOT the same, but I can deal with copper instead of green.

Call it 4 pounds - I used on after quitting my hammock in 2012. Fairly roomy (I'm 6'2"). Freestanding, even with fly clipped on. Pick up, hold upright, shake to clean.

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Zephyr-1-Person-Tent/dp/B00B9GCRL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412384355&sr=8-1&keywords=alps+zephyr+1

DavidNH
10-03-2014, 22:25
Remember.. even a freestanding tent needs to be staked down.. unless you don't want to see it blow away...

July
10-03-2014, 22:34
Remember.. even a freestanding tent needs to be staked down.. unless you don't want to see it blow away...

Yep and besides blowing around, I've noticed that the poles (most) seem to have an amount of flex, which usually decreases floorspace if you don't stretch out and stake down.

HooKooDooKu
10-04-2014, 00:37
Anyone looking for a 2 person tent, I MUST recommend the Kelty Gunnison 2.2.

It's not the lightest of tents, but for the space (and it is a spacious true 2 person tent) the weight is not bad. The tent has two entrances and two vestibules. The practical size of the vestibules isn't really big enough to fully protect a large pack, but more than ample for things like boots and other small items.

In addition to a very good space/weight ratio, one of the other reasons I recommend this tent is because of the condensation (or the lack there of). My favorite hiking grounds are the humid Great Smoky Mountains. I own three tents: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 (my one man tent), Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2 (about the same size and weight of a Gunnison - my two man tent), and a Kelty Gunnison 3.1. (I previously owned a Kelty Vortex 2... the predecessor of the Gunnison, but after 20 years it was time to get a new tent).

I seem to ALWAYS have condensation inside both Big Agnes tents regardless of the conditions, but my Kelty tents have hardly ever had any condensation in them. I can't say for sure, but I feel like it has something to do with the material. The materials in both Big Agnes tents are very similar (though obviously the Copper Spur is a thinner version) and the Kelty's are much different to the Big Agnes tents. I've also borrowed a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1, and has condensation issues with it too.

So if I had to do it all over again, I would ditch my Lynx Pass to replace it with a Gunnison. Not sure what I would do about the Copper Spur since I bought it for its light weight... I'm not going to get a Kelty that is as roomy AND light as the Copper Spur. So I'm not sure what I would do different about a one man tent. But the two man... I'd gladly do an even swap between my Lynx Pass and the Gunnison.

Rick Hancock
10-04-2014, 05:17
LL BEAN Microlight FS 1 Person Tent. 2lb. 11oz. packed size 16.5X6.5
I use this tent on occasion fair bit of room for the size and weight. 1 piece pole segments and a couple of stakes for the fly. Of course if you want the tightest pitch you do need to stake the corners. Tent looks just like a Hubba but sells for quite a bit less. Mine was $169 plus I had a gift card and 10% off so it was close to $145. I've used it on a few bikepacking trips set-up is quick the poles have a pole hub at each end that keeps the pole sections together.

T-Rx
10-04-2014, 07:53
Copper spur UL 3 is the go to tent for my wife and I. It is a decent size and weighs in at 4lbs. Without the footprint. Thus far it has been a great tent. We used a Tarptent Rainshadow for a while but prefer a free standing tent.

OnThePath
10-04-2014, 09:11
Thanks for the ideas!! :)

sfdoc
10-04-2014, 09:31
Kelty Salida for two. Approx. albs. $160.00 list price. Easy to set up and take down. Backpacker Mag. top choice.

July
10-04-2014, 10:35
Kelty Salida for two. Approx. albs. $160.00 list price. Easy to set up and take down. Backpacker Mag. top choice.

Amazon has this tent for 135.00 bucks right now...

Old Hiker
10-04-2014, 11:11

"Minimum weight 3 pounds, 12 ounces". I'd say not bad for 2 people. Mostly 5 star reviews. Mostly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B436avtEXzs

HooKooDooKu
10-04-2014, 14:06
The footprint of the Kelty Salida is similar to the Copper Spur UL2 (except only one door). That means it's pretty tight (to impossible if you have a "large" sleeping pad) for two people but would be more than enough room for one.

Given my fondness of Kelty (because of condensation issues), if the size of the Salida is right for you, then I too would have to back it up as an excellent choice, especially given the price you can find it at.

bangorme
10-04-2014, 15:22
"Minimum weight 3 pounds, 12 ounces". I'd say not bad for 2 people. Mostly 5 star reviews. Mostly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B436avtEXzs

This is pretty much the same as the LL Beans Microlight tent for two people.

OCDave
10-04-2014, 18:47
.... My cousin has epilepsy and Asked me to find him a tent ...

Does epilespy have any bearing in what he needs in a tent?

Rolex
10-04-2014, 23:26
the shelter discussions are usually dominated by tarp tents. My cousin has epilepsy and Asked me to find him a tent. His only request is that it is freestanding. I would like to find something sturdy, roomy and hopefully not to heavy:-?. Any Ideas where to look would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Mountain hardware archer 2 has been good this year for me. About 5 lbs though. On sale frequently in your price range. Footprint is stupid expensive though and I use a piece of plastic frivolity. Plan on making a tubal good one "one of these days."

Rolex
10-04-2014, 23:29
Mountain hardware archer 2 has been good this year for me. About 5 lbs though. On sale frequently in your price range. Footprint is stupid expensive though and I use a piece of plastic frivolity. Plan on making a tubal good one "one of these days."
Damn autocorrect! Plastic dropcloth & tyvek. Grrrr.

saltysack
10-05-2014, 08:13

Wow...5lbs....not sure why anyone would want to carry a tent that heavy backpacking...I have few heavy marmot tents but only use for car camping....I'm getting ready to buy a lhg solong6 sub 2 lbs but have been using an Easton kilo 2 tent for the last Several years....lil over 2 lbs and is a decent tent...as I have spent lots of nights in it but would be tight with 2 big adults. Me 5'11" @ 210lbs my 50lb 8 yr old and 18lb jrt barely fit....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mykneeshurt
10-05-2014, 13:04
MSR makes some nice freestanding tents. Ex. the Hubbas and carbon reflex.

I love my Hubba!

Rolex
10-05-2014, 13:37
Wow...5lbs....not sure why anyone would want to carry a tent that heavy backpacking...I have few heavy marmot tents but only use for car camping....I'm getting ready to buy a lhg solong6 sub 2 lbs but have been using an Easton kilo 2 tent for the last Several years....lil over 2 lbs and is a decent tent...as I have spent lots of nights in it but would be tight with 2 big adults. Me 5'11" @ 210lbs my 50lb 8 yr old and 18lb jrt barely fit....

Saltysack, it is heavy comparatively. I want to get the copper spur ul 2 but want to touch one first due to reports of the floor being super thin. I get off the beaten trail and camp in remote areas occasionally and worry about the floor of my tents.
I have cut down the rest of the pack weight to make up somewhat though. The two vestibular and entrances are something that I want in my tents also with room to get me and all my gear inside. After this year I'll upgrade also but told myself to wait to see some different options out there. Most of my equipment comes used from gear classifieds or mail order.
Rolex

saltysack
10-05-2014, 17:04
Saltysack, it is heavy comparatively. I want to get the copper spur ul 2 but want to touch one first due to reports of the floor being super thin. I get off the beaten trail and camp in remote areas occasionally and worry about the floor of my tents.
I have cut down the rest of the pack weight to make up somewhat though. The two vestibular and entrances are something that I want in my tents also with room to get me and all my gear inside. After this year I'll upgrade also but told myself to wait to see some different options out there. Most of my equipment comes used from gear classifieds or mail order.
Rolex

If ur worried about floor use a piece of tyvek...tough as nails

bpowell1014
10-05-2014, 19:39
If you're on a budget, I have been very satisfied with North Face tents, such as the Flint 2.

saltysack
10-05-2014, 21:03

If you are on a budget I would suggest searching preowned from gear for sale section as it seems more people are selling there freestanding tents and moving toward lighter trekking pole supported shelters.....you can definitely save some money...