PDA

View Full Version : Hiking budget yes or no?

freightliner
10-04-2014, 19:45
Is anyone budgeting there money or just going footloose and fancy free. I was thinking $200 a week and a thousand a month. The extra bit a month is for the ATs insatiable appetite for shoes. I should have at lest six months worth because the last time I tried in '05 I got to PA and found I only had $800 left. That was it between that and the heat I was done. It might have been that my pack weighed 5 lbs my tent was 4 lbs my sleeping bag was 4 lbs and my stove had a pump put it all together and it weighed 38 lbs. Now I carry more stuff but it only weighs 18 lbs and it is still called Monkey.

I would happy to hear what y'all are budgeting to do the trail. I don't really needed to know how much money you got just what you think you will need.

dangerdave
10-04-2014, 19:53
I'm budgeting for the prescribed $1000 a month. Money's already in the bank. I hope to use much less, but that's my upper limit. We'll see how it goes on the trail.

July
10-04-2014, 19:57
In one word, the biggest money consumer will be "town".

GirlfromOZ
10-04-2014, 21:00
I have to be pretty strict with my budget as my thru budget includes return international flights and some off trail sightseeing.
As a result I'm limiting myself to the amount of hostels/hotels I visit even though I know I will crave this luxury on the trail!
I've been doing some research to figure out where the cheapest hostels are and where you can access just a shower and laundry then keep moving. Once I've got a list together I'll share!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayak karl
10-04-2014, 21:44
most all leave on the trail with a budget. many find it hard to budget on the trail.

lonehiker
10-04-2014, 22:53
Is anyone budgeting there money or just going footloose and fancy free. I was thinking $200 a week and a thousand a month. The extra bit a month is for the ATs insatiable appetite for shoes. I should have at lest six months worth because the last time I tried in '05 I got to PA and found I only had $800 left. That was it between that and the heat I was done. It might have been that my pack weighed 5 lbs my tent was 4 lbs my sleeping bag was 4 lbs and my stove had a pump put it all together and it weighed 38 lbs. Now I carry more stuff but it only weighs 18 lbs and it is still called Monkey.

I would happy to hear what y'all are budgeting to do the trail. I don't really needed to know how much money you got just what you think you will need.

I've posted this method before but will again because it seems that someone is always asking about budgeting. One thousand a month is a good figure for planning purposes. To ensure that I never go over budget, I "pay" myself $33.00 a day. I keep a running total in my daily journal. As I spend on re-supply, lodging, replacement gear etc. I deduct the appropriate amounts. As I run low on funds I adjust my spending as needed (i.e. no beer or cheaper restaurant). Method works for me. Only thing to keep in mind is that you may have to bank some as the further north you get the more expensive it seems to be (specifically on the AT).

Another thing that I do when going into a town, I will go to a fast food restaurant (I prefer subway) as soon as I get into town. They are usually cheaper than your typical small town restaurant. That way when I do have dinner at a more expensive place, I won't be as famished and rack up huge dinner bill.

jred321
10-06-2014, 14:08
I don't plan on keeping a specific budget. If I need something, I'll get it. That said, the definition of "need" varies wildly from one person to the next so that probably won't work with everyone. I know myself and am pretty confident that I won't spend money on too many extra things but at the same time don't need to live on a super strict budget

RED-DOG
10-06-2014, 15:34
Most folks find it very hard to stay on a budget and most will scrap it after a couple of towns, when your out on the trail you crave certain things and when you get to a town you will spend money to get those things, when it comes to money on the trail LUCK has a lot to do with it and WILL POWER.

Coffee
10-06-2014, 15:53
One way to control town costs is to cook meals at the hostel rather than going to restaurants. But my cooking skills at home and in trail are similar (limited) so I spend a lot of money on restaurants when in towns and budget accordingly.

overthinker
10-06-2014, 16:02
My budget plan:

1) Save a crap ton of money
2) Exercise restraint - I'm generally a champ here anyway, which is how #1 is possible

That's it. I know I won't be able to stick to any defined plan, so I'm just going to out-save my spending habits by a factor of 2 and wing it. I'm guessing there will be money in the bank at the end of my hike.

10-K
10-06-2014, 16:04
But my cooking skills at home and in trail are similar (limited) so I spend a lot of money on restaurants when in towns and budget accordingly.

+1... I never cook anything that takes longer to make than it does to eat. :)

JohnnySnook
10-06-2014, 23:46
I hear its much cheaper in Maine to pick out a live lobster for dinner than it is in Miami. so I may just search the creeks and rivers or crawfish(they fit in UL pot much better also) till I get to Maine and then eat lobster at every re-supply.

In reality I'm thinking like most here that a $1000.00 a month also and may be some more in reserve for fun stuff. This will also depend on work. I hear this winter is going to be really bad so people will be heading to Miami and I'll make lots of money. When I turn on the weather channel I hope they can't figure out a name for the harsh winter storms that are sink south from the north. Since when are Noreasters named??? There not hurricanes???? I'm confused???

The other factor is gear. Its kind of the same thing as MTBing. You buy a $1200 bike and like it but its heavy so you slowly invest another $1800 into it. Soon you have spent $3000 on a bike that is still only worth the original price even though it weighs 8 to 10 pounds lighter. I can see this becoming an issue. Also any areas that have good MTB trails could get expensive with a bike rental and shuttle to the top of trail but that could end up being a really fun zero. At this point I have no gear that that is UL.
Hiking could breed a new addiction and buying lighter and better gear on the road could get expensive. Either way I plan to endure the misery at times and have fun.

If I can make it happen I'd like to not have to worry about a super strict budget so I can HMOH and not worry about all the stress money causes.

I have ordered some wool boxers to see to test in the 90 degree heat and 110% humidity. Nothing worse than Monkey B\/++!!!
I posted in another post I may take a trip north of florida to buy some gear if I don't get booked on a job next week. Also want to hit the REi garage sale.

Well thats my plan for now but most of the time they don't work out so I'll just go with the flow.

jjozgrunt
10-07-2014, 04:09
For me budgeting will be a whole new experience, as most of my expenses, on a long walk here, are paid up front due to the lack of resupply options. It's going to be a novelty to be able to get off a walk, most days if you want to, and have a break. Or ordering pizza for delivery or walking up the road where the AT crosses and getting a burger, drinks, ice cream etc.

$1000/month sounds reasonable and gives me a good place to start, but I will have adequate reserves to have a bit of fun along the way and a week in New York or LA at the end.