PDA

View Full Version : PO-d

squeezebox
10-04-2014, 20:25
I woke up this morning at 3am drove 50 miles to met some Sierra Club folks for a 2 day trip. I climbed into his truck, after a couple of minutes he mentioned my croqs. I went back to look for my car for my boots. Not there!!! So here I am talking to you instead of hiking.
A stupid mistake ?? Yep! Yep! Yep!!

Sarcasm the elf
10-04-2014, 20:29
Not that I'd recommend it, but I've hiked a fair distance in crocs...though in full disclosure alcohol may have played a role in my decision making.

Kaptain Kangaroo
10-04-2014, 20:44
Crocs and socks rock !

Alligator
10-04-2014, 22:44
Forgot my boots one time and ended up hiking in a regular pair of sneakers. It was maybe early December. Got a little bit of a snow dusting but it worked out ok.

rocketsocks
10-04-2014, 23:06
Well...I'll bet you won't do that again. Last winter I forgot my Merino second pair of long johns, and long sleeve shirt. These were my sleep clothes and I didn't want to walk in what I had and then sleep in them...to wet, so I walked with no base layer...it was 18 degrees out and freakin cold. But as they say....the heats is the tool, so ya just keep movin' at least I had dry base layer to sleep in.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-04-2014, 23:47
Well...I'll bet you won't do that again. Last winter I forgot my Merino second pair of long johns, and long sleeve shirt. These were my sleep clothes and I didn't want to walk in what I had and then sleep in them...to wet, so I walked with no base layer...it was 18 degrees out and freakin cold. But as they say....the heats is the tool, so ya just keep movin' at least I had dry base layer to sleep in.

Was this at Harriman RS? You mean our sunny dispositions didn't keep you warm enough? :)

RE: the OP.....I once forgot my trail runners and wore just my sneakers on a hike in the fall up Sleeping Giant in CT. Wet leaves, a steep descent and reduced traction were an unfortunate combination. For the first few minutes after the fall I seriously wondered if I'd broken my spine. All worked out fine (after about a month), but rest assured I'll NEVER forget the right footwear again.

Sorry you ditched your plans though.

rocketsocks
10-05-2014, 00:00
Was this at Harriman RS? You mean our sunny dispositions didn't keep you warm enough? :)

Yes um, that were it. But the sunny dispositions of all were great.

Wise Old Owl
10-05-2014, 00:09
yup sucks been there done that - could you have driven by a store? One guy was the same size and had two pair and bailed me out - forever grateful!

rafe
10-05-2014, 00:12
I woke up this morning at 3am drove 50 miles to met some Sierra Club folks for a 2 day trip. I climbed into his truck, after a couple of minutes he mentioned my croqs. I went back to look for my car for my boots. Not there!!! So here I am talking to you instead of hiking.

Bet you won't be making that mistake again. Check-lists are a good thing. Stuff like hiking boots, poles -- I usually throw in the car the night before. Actually, the poles have been living in the car lately.

squeezebox
10-05-2014, 04:10
OP here
I once left my bicycle shoes at home, then drove 300 miles to a race. Even though the shoes I borrowed were the same size they didn't fit the same.
I'm sure I have ADD so I need to adjust for that. I'm going to put ALL of my camping gear in one corner of the closet. Make a checklist. Then.
The big mistake I made was to make several piles of stuff instead of 1 pile. food in the kitchen, pack on the sofa, shoes in the bedroom. etc.
Make 1 pile somewhere, go through it with the checklist. put it in the car. do the check list again. or twice !!
Then I can leave
But I did go to the Rei garage sale and fed a bunch of folks, that was fun.
Feed people , you become friends.
Wipe their butt you become family.

Malto
10-05-2014, 08:02
I left my long sleeve base layer in the car for my wonderland like. Actually had a hidden benefit, I discovered that I can hike in a short sleeve shirt and rain gear even with temperatures in the twenties. It took being forgetful to get my out of my well established routine.

garlic08
10-05-2014, 08:34
This reminds me of an ultralighter's mantra, "If you don't have it, you don't need it." (In contrast to the usual "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.") I once lost a headlamp during town stop and didn't replace it right away, then when I finally got a chance to buy one, I didn't since life was just fine without it on that specific trip. Same with a base layer left behind after a bath in a stream, or rain pants left in a motel room. Forgetting a pocket knife is one reason I don't carry one anymore. Forgot my spoon and figured out fresh chopsticks were in the woods all around me. Forgot toilet paper and learned how to do that naturally, like my ancestors did for thousands of years. Lost tent stakes and learned new ways to select a site and pitch a tarp. First time I hiked in sneakers was a similar mistake to the OP, forgetting my boots, and the hike was even more fun. Some real "Aha!" moments there.

As one of my more forgetful hiking partners says, Sometimes we're our own worst enemy. But, like Malto, one of the reasons I go out there is to get challenged every once in a while. I also have learned a few good lessons because of forgetfulness.

Tipi Walter
10-05-2014, 09:37
It's okay to hike in crocs, heck I've backpacked many miles on creek trails in the things while carrying an enormously heavy pack. Summer, winter, in the snow, in the rain, in mud, etc.

But it's not a perfect situation. On fairly level trail in socks and dry, they work okay. In wet feet on treacherous trail they get squirrely with comical results. But if I lost my boots to malfunction I wouldn't hesitate to use the crocs.

And sometimes you lose a side rivet so better carry some spares.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2009/The-Hilleberg-Keron-Tent-Trip/i-DBFNCgM/0/L/TRIP%20104%20068-L.jpg

Bronk
10-05-2014, 11:14
Before I leave for a trip I mentally picture myself going through the entire trip, especially setting up camp and cooking dinner. It helps me remember everything I need.

Tipi Walter
10-05-2014, 11:22
Before I leave for a trip I mentally picture myself going through the entire trip, especially setting up camp and cooking dinner. It helps me remember everything I need.

The first camp setup on the first day of a long backpacking trip (like 20 days) is the taste test---Did I leave anything at home? My pack has dedicated areas for all items and so to fill these areas the items must be there. This eliminates alot of misplaced gear and yet it's always possible to forget the tooth brush or the pack cover or god forbid the tent poles.

A written Checklist may be an option but to change my current process into a checklist would probably end in disaster, as my current system has worked well with very rare forgotten items (toothburhs/pack cover).

rocketsocks
10-05-2014, 14:01
I keep all my stuff in a big plastic generic tote now, and with-in that tote a smaller tote, and a few stuff sacks with seasonal things I might bring. one sack has all the electronic, charges, a winter section for balaclava, gloves, liners....this has helped me a lot to make quick getaways with having to scrounge around. Same with food...separate tote though.

Don H
10-05-2014, 14:29

This is exactly why when we take Scouts to Philmont Scout Ranch for a trek we require them to WEAR their hiking shoes when we leave for the airport.
I have a 6 hour ride to the trail this week, I'll be wearing my shoes.
I also use a checklist when packing so I don't forget anything.

Forgetting has nothing to do with getting old ;)

rafe
10-05-2014, 14:32
If I'm spending more than one night in the woods, I go through my check list carefully. Not every item on the list will be taken -- but at least I've forced myself to consider everything on the list. In reality the list will vary depending on duration/remoteness of the trip, the season, etc. I seem to have developed similar lists for other outdoor hobbies, eg. skiing and sailing. Same deal, you don't want to travel for hours only to discover you've forgotten a key item.

double d
10-07-2014, 10:11
I think the best system is one that works for you-but I try to lay out my "stuff" in my living room. I think experience has a lot to play into this as well.

Seatbelt
10-07-2014, 10:24
Yep, I have forgot things too...like my boot insoles, resulting in sore knees/feet; trekking poles, etc. I also forgot to take my banjo to a music gig once:rolleyes: I always say my memory is excellent, but the recall is seriously lacking.