PDA

View Full Version : Letchworth Trail (NY)

jmitchell
10-05-2014, 12:45
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49239558@N04/sets/72157648397213712/ (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49239558%40N04/sets/72157648397213712/)

This weekend I hiked the Letchworth Trail, a backpacking trail that explores the east side of the Genesee River canyon in Letchworth State Park. This is one of NY's premier state parks, famous for its huge waterfalls, impressive canyon, and many fine views. I would hike about 24 miles. The trail is blazed yellow and is well established and marked. It is easy-moderate in difficulty. I hiked south to north. The hike began very easy along level, old grades. Side trails offered views of the impressive canyon and falls. The trail then stayed in the woods most of the time where it became quite hilly as it went up and down and around many side ravines. These ravines were quite scenic and very deep and precipitous. Most were dry, but when there is water, they also have many waterfalls. The trail would often follow the rim of these impressive ravines. The forest was mostly hardwoods, but there were hemlocks in the ravines, and some areas with pine and spruce. There were some huge oak trees along the trail. The trail also has two shelters. The views return at the northern end of the trail where the canyon is wider, but still very scenic as the sun was setting. I finished in darkness and returned to my car at the Mt. Morris Dam. The Letchworth Trail is very nice and well-worth backpacking.

rafe
10-05-2014, 13:45
Very nice pix. I grew up in Rochester -- Letchworth SP was one of the more scenic destinations in that neighborhood. I suspect the CCC had a lot do with the infrastructure in the park.

rickb
10-05-2014, 15:18
Very nice pix. I grew up in Rochester -- Letchworth SP was one of the more scenic destinations in that neighborhood. I suspect the CCC had a lot do with the infrastructure in the park.

Rochester proper, or a burb?

You would be amazed what they have done with the towpath along the canal if you have not been back in a while.

Letchworth is great. Never though of it for backpacking. Nice post.

rafe
10-05-2014, 15:55
Rochester proper, or a burb?

You would be amazed what they have done with the towpath along the canal if you have not been back in a while.

Letchworth is great. Never though of it for backpacking. Nice post.

Henrietta. (Gawd what a name.) The canal in Pittsford was maybe two miles away. Yes, I've walked a bit on the towpath. Last time was just after my dad passed away about 10 years ago.

fudgefoot
10-05-2014, 19:24
Did you come across any of the orienteers? The US National Championships were held on the east side of the park Saturday & Sunday. I was up there competing. It is beautiful park.

Odd Man Out
10-05-2014, 21:43
Nice. Our family camped at the campground there many years ago. Very nice. We woke up one morning to a big wooshing sound. Looked out at the tent and saw a bunch of hot air balloons inflating in a field next to the campground. Got to see them launch and float over the gorge. So when backpacking, do you have to stay at designated campgrounds and /or where your permit designates or is at-large camping allowed?

rafe
10-05-2014, 22:46
~1960 or so at Letchworth Park. The little snots are me and my sister.

Toolshed
10-06-2014, 22:47
Nice pics..Looks like a great time.
I grew up in a canal-town just outside of Rochester and frequently hiked Letchworth branch of the FLT. I stop in and visit the damn every time I drive to WNY. just a beautiful bit of country!!!

Algae
11-02-2014, 11:37
I'm a couple weeks late on this but thought Id add my 1.5cents anyway. Im fortunate enough to live about a half hour from Letchworth park, and its my first choice for camping or for a short backpacking trip whenever I spontaneously want to disappear for a few days. I'm generally out there at least once a month. The Letchworth trail is one of the branch trails of the Finger Lakes Trail, a 560mi trail running from the PA border to near albany. The 'LT' is located on the Eastern side of the park, so to access it you have to either drive through the park, out the portageville, entrance to the Southern terminus/parking area located by the Portageville bridge; or start from the parking lot at the Mt. Marcy dam (if you're starting from this end, drop by the "Finger Lakes Trail Conference" headquarters before you head out, as they're also located in this parking lot. A great place to learn some info about the FLT, and the folks there are mighty helpful) As has been stated, there are 2 shelters available for use on it; registration at the Letchworth office is required to use them. For a short time, the trail coincides with the Genessee Valley Greenway, a multi-use rail/trail which continues north out of the park, travels along the site of the old Genessee Canal, and intersects with the Erie Canal trail and Lehigh Valley rail/trail in Rochester. Water is amply available on the trail due to the multitude of stream crossings. The scenery along the trail is simply gorgeous, the giant Mt. Morris dam at one end, the portageville bridge over the falls at the other (slated to be torn down and replaced soon, I've heard), and the gorge and river itself providing breathtaking vistas along the way. There have been several deaths in the last few years from people falling in the gorge, so, of course, utilize some common sense when peering over the edge.

For another great branch trail of the FLT, one can drive East about 30 miles or so and begin the Bristol Hills Trail in Ontario County park, which winds south for 55miles and terminates at the junction with the main FLT for a great long weekend or short week hike.

Algae
11-02-2014, 11:38
**dam at Mt. Morris, not Mt. Marcy. Sorry, ive got the ADK on the brain :s

russb
11-02-2014, 12:41
**dam at Mt. Morris, not Mt. Marcy. Sorry, ive got the ADK on the brain :s

I usually have adk on the brain. That is where I spend mst of my time, even though it is a few hours from Roch.