PDA

View Full Version : Two Person Ultralite Tent - SMD Lunar Duo Feedback Wanted

ZenRabbit
10-05-2014, 17:31
I'm going to cut to the chase. I need a tent that will keep out blowing sand.

I'm looking for a roomy two person tent for my girlfriend and I. I'll be carrying the tent, since she's had shoulder surgery and is vulnerable to reinjury, so I want it to be light.

I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 and I am a big guy so needless to say I've figured out that two people plus gear aren't going to be comfortable in that tent. I am generally happy with the tent after studying the details of its construction during rain delays :) and seeing it won't fall apart as I first expected. The engineering is top notch and I'm a Big Agnes fan especially for the price, they're a great value. The Fly Creek UL 2a great one guy and a dog tent. It's cozy but the tent has limited view to the outside because of the vestibule design.

I also came to own a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo which is an early version but I think the design and function of the tent is amazing. The increased views compared to the Fly Creek and cross ventilation in the summer make it my favorite tent yet.

So, I've looked a the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo and it's my top candidate. It has a basically see through layout with the two side doors and vestibules which I like. It is also very light with nice headroom but I wonder if they'd make it in Cuben for me. (I'm thinking this could be my last tent ever. Lol. ) My one concern for the tent is this: if you are at the beach or in a desert environment (I'm considering some Southwest travel) what is the bottom screen doing to keep blowing sand out of the tent? If I'm asking for too much wanting a single wall tent to perform at that level I guess maybe I should look at another tent like a Hilleberg Annan or a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 3.

I'd appreciate some feedback from Lunar Duo users and of course any other ideas anyone might have for us.

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 using Tapatalk4

CenAZwalker
10-07-2014, 14:55
I can't give you any feedback regarding blowing sand but I just thought I'd throw it out there that I have a Lunar Duo Explorer that is like new. Purchased it new from SMD in early 2014 to use on a trip with my sister. The trip never happened so it's been sitting in my gear bin. Only set up once in the yard. Not seam sealed. If you decide on the Lunar Duo, contact me and I can save you some money. It really is a roomy tent. You could have a party in there.

4Bears
10-07-2014, 16:08
I can't talk for the SMD tent, but in sandy conditions, blowing or otherwise, it is hard to hold out the sand, in anything. You might also want to look at the Stratspire 2 by Tarp Tent. You can get it with an optional 1/2 solid wall to stop blowing sand. The size and weight are comparable to the SMD and it is a true double wall tent. It can be set up with or without the fly or just the fly. www.tarptent.com

bigcranky
10-07-2014, 16:19
We have been using a Lunar Duo for four or five years, and we LOVE this tent. It's just amazing for two people, with two full doors on the long sides, terrific headroom and interior volume, two great vestibules, etc. It's extremely rain proof and holds up well even in the open in moderately high winds (think thunderstorms in the open high country near Mt. Rogers.)

However, I can't imagine that the mesh walls would keep out any sort of sand or fine, blowing grit. That said, we used a big, double wall, traditional tent with nylon walls in the Southwest, and that didn't keep out the sand or grit, either. It just gets everywhere. I suppose you could look at the popularity of Tarptents and SMD tents on the PCT and figure that it's not such a big deal, but of course YMMV.

Did I mention that we LOVE this tent? :)

Franco
10-07-2014, 19:01
The Tarptent StratoSpire 2 "solid" inner is all fabric apart from a top mesh triangle.
The white inner fabric breathes very well and is somewhat water resistant, more than enough for drips or splashes.
If you do not use trekking poles , we have some very solid substitute poles .
called Vertical Support Poles , $14 x 2 , 4.3oz x 2, 0.49"
franco@tarptent

10-K
10-07-2014, 19:20
Did I mention that we LOVE this tent? :)

It's hard not to love the Duo... It's a winner for sure. It's big enough for you, your girlfriend, and still enough room for your gear without feeling cramped in the slightest. Pitching it takes a minute to learn but you can get it up pretty good with minimal effort and figure out ways to get a better pitch the more you use it.

To the OP, I'll be the third person to say that keeping out 100% sand and grit where mesh is involved is asking a lot.

ZenRabbit
10-09-2014, 00:15
Thanks for the ideas guys, I am checking out the TarpTent too... And of course now there's a Lunar Duo for sale here on the forum.. Lol... Decisions decisions

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 using Tapatalk4