PDA

View Full Version : Nesco Jerky Works

CynJ
10-16-2005, 23:52
I've had a Nesco dehydrator for about 4 years and I love it for making jerky - I've always used whatever beef is on sale and my own spice mix for flavor.

Well I saw the Nesco Jerky Works last week and picked it up. (its so similar to my cookie press I almost didn't buy it - but this keeps the beef/grease out of my cookie press-besides you can never have too many toys) This allows me to make jerkey from hamburger as opposed to whole beef.

I don't normally like pre-packaged jerky mix but figured I would try it - and for all you Slim Jim fans- the Jerky Works regular seasoning makes jerky that tastes EXACTLY like regular Slim Jims. Its really good. And it dries fairly quick.

I'm going to try some ground turkey next - see how that works.

Toolshed
10-17-2005, 23:09
The only thing I don't like about the nesco jerky works (or any for that matter) is that ground beef is extremely greasy when making jerky.

CynJ
10-17-2005, 23:13
Big time!! I just keep patting it dry w/a paper towel as it cures.

I used 80/20 hamburger - I think I will try the 93/7 next time and see if its any better. Ground sirloin may work too.

Mountain Hippie
10-17-2005, 23:38
I love my Nesco Jerky Works. You can make a slim jim size stick or a thinner version that looks like the slim jim jerky. You are right about the packaged mix. It does taste like slim jim's.
I only use the leanest ground beef, I think it is 96/4 or 97/3, something like that. I was always concerned with the higher fat meat going rancid more quickly. I really don't have a problem with a greasy mess. Maybe it is because I use the leaner meat.
Lately I have been making my own seasoning using salt (I use pickling salt as opposed to regular salt), pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and liquid smoke. I sometimes add a little chillipowder, parparika and cheyenne to make a sorta mexican tasting version. These mixes are also what I use to make regular jerky from venison.

CynJ
10-17-2005, 23:54
My favorite version of jerkey (using sliced beef) is to soak the meat overnight in Tamari Soy Sauce with some garlic powder and fine black pepper to taste. SO yummy. The Tamari Soy Sauce isn't as salty as regular soy sauce and really adds a nice flavor. Kikkoman carries it -it has a black label.

Mountain Hippie
10-18-2005, 00:27
I will give that a try. I need to make up some more jerky in the near future. My daughter came to visit and nearly wiped out my stash. I have to keep the little tidbits that are left under lock and key. Thanks for the tip.

Youngblood
10-18-2005, 11:27
The only thing I don't like about the nesco jerky works (or any for that matter) is that ground beef is extremely greasy when making jerky.
I found that a farmer's market within a mile of my house sells a lean ground beef that works great, just the right amount of fat and it is $3 a pound. I've used it about a half dozen times and it has been pretty consistant. Before that I tried different percentage ground beef at Kroger and lean ground beef from another farmer's market that didn't work quite as well. It is nice when you can locate ground beef with just the right fat content... there is such a thing as too little fat content, the meat doesn't stay formed as well and it may not have tasted quite as good but I only had that problem once when I asked a butcher to trim all the fat off of a roast(?) that was on sell and to grind it for me.

beckybellis
02-26-2007, 15:03
i have been making beef jerky from lean ground round hamburger, and didnt really realize that i must have been getting the LEANEST.. cuz today i started a batch of 85/15, since it was on sale for 5.22 for 2.25lbs, and im freaking out looking at all the grease that is accumilating!! im starting to feel like this jerkey wont last , compared to the other jerkey i made. i went thru probably 1/4 roll of paper towel just dabbing all the pieces and its only been in there for a few hours now. with the other lean i used before, i only used 2 pieces paper towel when i would soak grease!
ugh

saimyoji
02-26-2007, 16:25
i have been making beef jerky from lean ground round hamburger, and didnt really realize that i must have been getting the LEANEST.. cuz today i started a batch of 85/15, since it was on sale for 5.22 for 2.25lbs, and im freaking out looking at all the grease that is accumilating!! im starting to feel like this jerkey wont last , compared to the other jerkey i made. i went thru probably 1/4 roll of paper towel just dabbing all the pieces and its only been in there for a few hours now. with the other lean i used before, i only used 2 pieces paper towel when i would soak grease!
ugh

Mislabeled package? :-?

beckybellis
02-26-2007, 17:49
i think i must have just been using 95/5 or 97/3 before, since i really hardley saw much grease. just didnt know the numbers..

JimM
02-27-2007, 00:08
If you hunt or know someone who does, ground venison makes excellent jerky using the Nesco package mix.

lonehiker
03-20-2007, 23:56
I have had the best luck with the 92/8 or the 93/7. Any leaner and it doesn't stay together as well. Midway through the drying process I place paper towels on the counter and lay the strips out on it. Then I lay another layer of paper towels on top and press down to absorb the excess oil. I do this once again after the jerky has finished drying. I let cool overnight then vacuum seal and store in the freezer. I have stored jerky in the freezer in excess of a year and it tasted fine.

Toolshed
03-21-2007, 07:19
Since I am hanging around all weekend (wife is scrapbooking) so the little guy and I are on our own, I might just pull out the Jerky Works and make some jerky He loves shooting it through the gun...

beckybellis
03-21-2007, 14:50
i just made about 4lbs of venison jerkey.. love it.