PDA

View Full Version : Parking in Harpers Ferry for a week, where to park?

Gambit McCrae
10-06-2014, 07:22
This friday I will be leaving my car in harpers ferry and walking down to SNP thru the week. I was thinking there is parking right down below the bridge by the river but do not know if this is a smart place. Please advise as to where a good parking spot is at in Harpers Ferry.

Coffee
10-06-2014, 07:33
The Harpers Ferry national park visitors center allows multi day parking but there is a fee.

hikernutcasey
10-06-2014, 09:48
Coffee is right. We just got back Saturday from a week long trip coming south from Duncannon. We got there on visit free day and didn't have to pay!

Gambit McCrae
10-06-2014, 11:21
How much would it be to park my car there for a week? it looks like to me about 40 bucks(10$ per 3 days

RangerZ
10-06-2014, 11:53
How much would it be to park my car there for a week? it looks like to me about 40 bucks(10$ per 3 days

Be careful because I think they lock up the lot at close of business or dark, don't get stuck.

Captain Blue
10-06-2014, 11:57
A flat rate of $10 for up to two weeks of parking. I heard the gate doesn't really close at night. A local told me that. I parked a car at Harper's Ferry National Historic Park recently for 10 days.

Gambit McCrae
10-06-2014, 12:59
Sounds great thank you so much!

tf bear
10-06-2014, 13:07
10 bucks gets you all the time you need. There is a form on line you should fill out and give to the Park Ranger at the main office. They are all nice and will look for you on your return. You can also ride there bus back up from the river if you go the way down. Need a shuttle? Call strings. He is the best. Should be a great time to hike. Enjoy.

Gambit McCrae
10-06-2014, 13:47
aNYONE KNOW OF THE LINK FOR THAT?

hikernutcasey
10-06-2014, 14:47
I don't have the link but when we arrived the ranger at the gate gave us the form to fill out and you can turn it in at the visitors center before you leave.

Lauriep
10-06-2014, 20:09
Hikers can park vehicles for up to 2 weeks at the Harpers Ferry National Historical Park visitors center, located on the south side of US 340 at the Washington St. stoplight. It is sometimes referred to as "Cavalier Heights."

You pay the $10 entrance fee once and register your vehicle during business hours. The lot is gated at dusk. A shuttle bus runs every 15-20 minutes between lower town (just a few hundred feet south on Shenandoah Street where the A.T. crosses it) and the visitors center. It's two miles and can be walked; it's a combination of a lovely path through the woods, a walk along Shoreline Drive, and then either Shenandoah Street or the A.T.

Shuttle bus hours vary somewhat during the year but they usually start around 8 or so and run until 5:45 or 6:45pm. An overnight parking form is available at www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/index (http://www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/index). htm. For more information, call the park visitor center at (304) 535- 6298.

Laurie P.
ATC

Gambit McCrae
10-07-2014, 06:33
Lorie you are always a great help thanks so much! not sure whats up witht the link but it brought up a NPS error message :/ I will just pick one up when I arrive. Thanks again for the great info!

Lauriep
10-07-2014, 12:42
Thanks, Gambit, and sorry about the link error. The form used to be on the website, but I wasn't able to find it, even after calling the park. I'll keep working on it. But you can get the form when you go to the entrance station.

Here is a map from the NPS website that highlights the relevant areas: www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/upload/VC-LT2011-2.pdf (http://www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/upload/VC-LT2011-2.pdf)

Lauriep
10-07-2014, 12:51
Here's the direct link to the form: www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/upload/Request-for-Overnight-Parking.pdf (http://www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/upload/Request-for-Overnight-Parking.pdf).

There is a wealth of information on the Harpers Ferry National Historical Park website at www.nps.gov/hafe (http://www.nps.gov/hafe).