PDA

View Full Version : approach trail thoughts

barefooter333
10-06-2014, 14:55
all u that have hike the approach trial is it worth the extra 8 miles or should i just go to the forest road on spinger

10-K
10-06-2014, 14:59
I hope you're not looking for The Right Answer.

As for me, I haven't hiked it and never will. Why would I hike a blue blazed trail to get to the AT? :)

AO2134
10-06-2014, 15:10
I have hiked it. If you plan to leave a car at Springer or Amicalola, I would leave it at Amicalola, just seems safer, albeit I don't know if it actually is. I see no reason not to do the approach trail if your time permits. You get to see a nice waterfall at Amicalola Falls. However, if you have already seen the waterfall, I would say start at Springer parking lot.

Some say the approach trail is difficult, but I didn't think so. Sure it is a virtually constant uphill but it is fairly gradual and I did it just over 3 hours.

I have found though what many people consider difficult on AT to be not that bad. People say GA is tough. I mean, I guess. I have only done the first 120 miles of AT, but I haven't found any section I would categorize as difficult.

The most "difficult" sections of AT for me have been Blue Mt to Unicoi to Rocky Mt to Indian Grave Gap to Tray Mt. I guess the climb to Blood would be next.

Going back to the original question. I wouldn't say no to approach trail because (1) it is "difficult", (2) it is not the "true" AT. I would, however, say no to approach trail if (1) I don't have time to fit it in, (2) I have seen Amicalola Falls.

RED-DOG
10-06-2014, 15:14
for me it was just easier to get dropped off at AFSP, weigh my pack, sign in and start walking i did this on all three of my thru's, i would advice anybody to hike the approach it's definately worth the effort.

Mags
10-06-2014, 15:27
As for me, I haven't hiked it and never will. Why would I hike a blue blazed trail to get to the AT? :)

This is more for anyone, but do what is best for the person nice enough to shuttle you.

I did the BMT with the approach trail first because it was easier for the person who shuttled me. On the AT, I chose the FS-42 way as the person shuttling me wanted to see the summit of Springer.

They were both good.

10-K
10-06-2014, 15:34
This is more for anyone, but do what is best for the person nice enough to shuttle you.

I paid for my shuttles the first 2 times I was there and my wife took me the 3rd time and she didn't care.

If the only way I had to get there was someone who wanted to go to AFSP then sure, that's where I would start. But I would never get someone who *wouldn't* take me to FR 42 .. thus, I will likely never experience the blue blazed approach trail that is not the AT.. :)

That's just me - I'm not saying that it's stupid to hike the approach trail or dissing anyone that does - just that I personally don't have the desire to do it.

Sarcasm the elf
10-06-2014, 15:39
Do whatever is easier for the person that's dropping you off at the park.

10-K
10-06-2014, 15:41
In fact, just a few days ago I set up my 4th shuttle to the terminus - very specifically FR 42. It's as easy to get there as it is AFSP if you're paying for a shuttle....

If you're getting a friend or someone's taking you for free and they don't want to drive the dirt road then for sure - do what's best for them.

The way I interpret the OP's question is "All things being equal should I hike the approach trail?"

brian039
10-06-2014, 15:42
For me it would depend on the road conditions at the time. I wouldn't drive up the FS road in bad conditions. Other than that there is nothing special about the approach trail except the falls which you don't even need to hike the approach trail to see.

Chif
10-06-2014, 15:51
all u that have hike the approach trial is it worth the extra 8 miles or should i just go to the forest road on spinger

I hiked it and enjoyed it. It is such a short distance in the big scheme of things, why not hike it?

Mykneeshurt
10-06-2014, 16:21
I enjoyed the approach trail at the start of my 2013 thru....but to each his/her own.

bigcranky
10-06-2014, 16:31
I've hiked it once in each direction. Southbound was easier :) It's a perfectly nice trail and leaving from the ranger station through the arch is kinda cool. It's under 9 miles, which is not much on a 2200 mile walk.

barefooter333
10-06-2014, 16:36
thanks guys for all the great info as always. i might begin a section from either forest service road or at the approach trail to woody gap

Jack Tarlin
10-06-2014, 16:43
Some years I hiked it. Some I didn't. Part of me feels that if you're thru-hiking, you oughta climb all the way up Springer, the same we you'll climb all the way up Katahdin. Part of me feels this is crazy, as there are no white blazes til you get to the plaque up top. It's all good, you'll figure it out. But your trip doesn't really begin til that first step away from the plaque. Everything up to then is prelude and practice.

AO2134
10-06-2014, 16:49
thanks guys for all the great info as always. i might begin a section from either forest service road or at the approach trail to woody gap

Resupply and rehydrate water at Hawk Mt. shelter. There is little to no water for a 6 mile section until justus creek. Depending on pace that could be a 2 hr hike or a 1/2 day hike.

rafe
10-06-2014, 17:06
I hiked it and enjoyed it. It is such a short distance in the big scheme of things, why not hike it?

That's about all I wanted to say on the matter. You saved me the effort.

Starchild
10-06-2014, 17:20
My Q is why ask this Q? There are 2 ways to/from Springer, one is longer one is shorter, basically that is all.

swisscross
10-06-2014, 17:24
If I were thru hiking I would hike the approach.
If I were section hiking I would be more inclined to skip it.

I see no purpose wasting time walking stairs.

Lone Wolf
10-06-2014, 18:19

it's just a blue blaze trail. there are 100s of them off the AT. go to the forest road on springer

barefooter333
10-06-2014, 18:49
if i skip the approach how long will it take to hike to woody gap

Lone Wolf
10-06-2014, 18:54
if i skip the approach how long will it take to hike to woody gap

21.1 miles

lonehiker
10-06-2014, 18:57

Hike it, or don't hike it. Some will regard you as a loser for not hiking it and some will regard you as a loser for hiking it. Choose your poison. I hiked it.

Malto
10-06-2014, 19:00
I used to trail run the approach trail on a regular basis. It is quite similar to the rest of the Georgia AT. As others have said, it's all about logistics. If eight miles is a big deal then serious consider whether a 2000+ mile hike is your thing.

elray
10-06-2014, 19:18
We started our Thru not feeling real well just coming off some stomach flu and considered skipping the Approach for this "good" reason. But then we thought "we may never pass this way again" so why miss this opportunity and hiked the section. Some great man said that "you'll end up regretting more things that you didn't than the things you did do", or something like that, just a thought, Elray and Luckycharm

Pedaling Fool
10-06-2014, 19:22
There is absolutely no difference between the approach trail and the AT, except the color of the blazes, period.

doug105
10-06-2014, 21:40
My wife and I are rookies and we did the approach trail to neel gap last week. We thought the approach trail was probably our most difficult day.
But we're definitely glad we did it.

DougN

Deacon
10-07-2014, 06:29

I too was ambivalent about doing the approach trail, but decided in favor of it.
Having done it, if I ever start the AT again, I will definitely do the approach. The falls alone are worth the nine miles. I personally think the emotional impact of the falls are equal to Niagara Falls.

I really don't understand the resistance from hikers about the approach trail. They say it's not part of the AT. True, but IMHO, it should be.

Firefighter503
10-07-2014, 06:42
I hiked the approach trail in 2011. I don't feel like it added anything to my hike.

10-K
10-07-2014, 07:50
I really don't understand the resistance from hikers about the approach trail. They say it's not part of the AT. True, but IMHO, it should be.

For me it's not resistance, but: "Why?"

1. It's not the AT.

2. It isn't included in thru hike mileage (if you care about that sort of thing).

3. There are 2185 miles of hills you'll have fun going over right in front of the official terminus. There's no such thing as an "8 mile warmup". That's just nuts to me - there is absolutely no logic to that at all.

4. If you're paying someone for a ride you can get to the terminus as easy as the approach trail.

5. There are countless blue-blazed trails from GA to ME. The approach trail is just another one of those - no more, no less. It just goes to the southern terminus of the AT.

Just to reiterate, I'm not dissing the approach trail or trying to say anything negative about hiking it or those to do - I'm just saying that in terms of an AT thru-hike I see it as a waste of time. That's all... :)

bigcranky
10-07-2014, 08:22
Hey, 10-K,

One way to look at it is this: if you get dropped off at FS42, you have to backtrack on the AT for about a mile to the Southern Terminus at Springer Mountain. That's not a very auspicious start. For some people, it's better to start the AT from the very beginning -- to make your first footsteps on the trail right at the terminus.

I'm not saying one is right and the other is wrong. I can say there is something very cool about walking up to the top of the ridge and the blue blazes stop and you see the first white blaze. It's a good feeling, and one I would not have gotten by starting at FS42 (which I have also done.)

--BC

10-K
10-07-2014, 08:31
Hey, 10-K,

One way to look at it is this: if you get dropped off at FS42, you have to backtrack on the AT for about a mile to the Southern Terminus at Springer Mountain. That's not a very auspicious start. For some people, it's better to start the AT from the very beginning -- to make your first footsteps on the trail right at the terminus.

I'm not saying one is right and the other is wrong. I can say there is something very cool about walking up to the top of the ridge and the blue blazes stop and you see the first white blaze. It's a good feeling, and one I would not have gotten by starting at FS42 (which I have also done.)

--BC

I get it!

I think it's more auspicious to start off by congratulating myself for having the good sense not to add an 8 mile climb to an already Herculean task.

What mattered to me is having my hand on the southern Terminus plaque, my hand on the Kathadin sign, and not skipping any *white* blazes between the 2. I did do that but it took me 2 years.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just one guy with an opinion here on good ol' WB.... :) I would encourage anyone who wanted to hike the approach trail to have at it and wish them a great hike.

FatMan
10-07-2014, 08:49
It really can't matter much in your case. You live in Blue Ridge. You can hike any trail in N Georgia anytime you like. This seems to be a more important logistics question for someone traveling a distance to reach the trail. I assume you have seen the falls, and if correct the approach trail is just a trail just like the AT. I happen to enjoy the approach trail but I enjoy pretty much any trail.

If you don't do the approach and start from FS42 I recommend going about a 1.5 miles further down the road where the BMT crosses and hike the BMT up to Springer. That way you don't have to backtrack. It's a better trail than the AT going up to Springer IMO.

Enjoy your Hike.

rafe
10-07-2014, 09:13
Seen this topic come up so many times, it's funny. I've done a lot of day hikes with peakbaggers -- folks collecting the 48 four-thousand footers in the White Mountains. If a peak is 3,999 feet high they're not interested. :rolleyes: I hiked the approach trail, but I started from the campground above the falls. I can't do anything right.

July
10-07-2014, 09:40
How bout the fact of signing in and receiving your start number at the falls station?

Lone Wolf
10-07-2014, 15:20
How bout the fact of signing in and receiving your start number at the falls station?
and how about the fact that a great number of folks don't start at the ranger station. and the ones that start at springer hardly sign the register inside the rock cuz they can't find it. there are no start/finish numbers :)

daddytwosticks
10-07-2014, 16:09
...or do what I did on a past section hike. I cheated and started the approach trail by the lodge, thus cutting out the steps up the waterfall. It was easier for my wife to shuttle me to AFSP than drive down FS 42. :)

brian039
10-07-2014, 17:14
It really can't matter much in your case. You live in Blue Ridge. You can hike any trail in N Georgia anytime you like. This seems to be a more important logistics question for someone traveling a distance to reach the trail. I assume you have seen the falls, and if correct the approach trail is just a trail just like the AT. I happen to enjoy the approach trail but I enjoy pretty much any trail.

If you don't do the approach and start from FS42 I recommend going about a 1.5 miles further down the road where the BMT crosses and hike the BMT up to Springer. That way you don't have to backtrack. It's a better trail than the AT going up to Springer IMO.

Enjoy your Hike.

Wish I would have thought of that. Great idea!

MuddyWaters
10-07-2014, 21:54
I hope you're not looking for The Right Answer.

Because the best thing GA has to offer, is the falls at Amicalola. Especially if you can catch them after a day or two of rain when a front passed.

IMO that is.

rickb
10-07-2014, 22:06
My mom and dad were waiting (and waiting) for me at the start of the approach trail one really cool day in December.

I got to the top of the falls and would go not a step further, so there I sat.

Then my parents got to thinking and drove up to get me and take me home.

Good thing, because I had zero interest in going any farther.

Speakeasy TN
10-09-2014, 18:46
FWIW I checked in at the station, shot some pics at the arch and then drove up 42 with the wife. I have done the approach multiple times and it won't add to a thru in the least.

Same plan next year.

finklequirt15
10-09-2014, 20:25
When ever I stop to pick up a hitchhiking thru hiker I ask if he/she did the approach trail. If they say no I just drive off and leave them in the dust.

Lone Wolf
10-09-2014, 20:58
When ever I stop to pick up a hitchhiking thru hiker I ask if he/she did the approach trail. If they say no I just drive off and leave them in the dust.

typical elitist/purist behavior

rafe
10-09-2014, 21:15
^^ I think FQ's post was in jest. :)

freightliner
10-09-2014, 21:46
I would never hate anybody who got a ride up to the top Springer Mountain but you work so hard to get the money, time, and gear together to hike the AT why shorten the experience. Then again I also feel the same way about slack packing. I'm going to enjoy every day that I'm out there because I can't stand being a corporate whore anymore

lonehiker
10-09-2014, 22:37
I would never hate anybody who got a ride up to the top Springer Mountain but you work so hard to get the money, time, and gear together to hike the AT why shorten the experience. Then again I also feel the same way about slack packing. I'm going to enjoy every day that I'm out there because I can't stand being a corporate whore anymore

Then why don't you hike every blue blaze trail along the AT.......? By skipping all of them, except for the approach trail, you are shortening your experience.......

freightliner
10-10-2014, 06:56
Then why don't you hike every blue blaze trail along the AT.......? By skipping all of them, except for the approach trail, you are shortening your experience.......

I wish I could I always see those blue blaze trails and wonder where they're going

DavidNH
10-10-2014, 12:35
Ok it's true the taco bell doesn't count for AT mileage.. but hey.. your just starting the hike and you're already cutting corners on a 5-6 moth hike? Do the damned trail. Start at Amicolola, climb Springer mountain and all the other mountains in the next 2200 miles!

Sarcasm the elf
10-10-2014, 12:41
I assume that the last few posters didn't catch the response where the OP made it clear that his question was in relation to a section hike?

I'm fairly certain he just wanted to know if the approach trail was enjoyable/worth hiking. Which I would agree that it is.

fudgefoot
10-10-2014, 14:25
I did a GA-NC section last summer and started at Amicalola. I really enjoyed the approach trail. It just seems like a more natural starting point to me. The falls are beautiful. You get the sense of leaving civilization behind as you hike beyond the crowds into the quiet of the forest. And there was a building anticipation to reach White Blaze #1 on the climb up Springer. I'm very glad I did it.

lonehiker
10-10-2014, 15:10
I assume that the last few posters didn't catch the response where the OP made it clear that his question was in relation to a section hike?

I'm fairly certain he just wanted to know if the approach trail was enjoyable/worth hiking. Which I would agree that it is.

I think you spend too much time making assumptions. You assume this and are certain of that...... I know that you are wrong on the former (at least for my part) and I suspect you are wrong on the later as well.

DavidNH
10-10-2014, 16:38
oops my mistake. I thought the op was speaking of a thru hike not a section hike. SO then as to is the approach trail worth it? well the woods are nice but there are no special views.

rocketsocks
10-10-2014, 17:10
Never been there, but hey, who dosen't like water falls right...I wouldn't skip it unless I had a reason for not doing it, like time constraints.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-10-2014, 23:39

Hear, hear!!

jjozgrunt
10-11-2014, 06:12
Okay I'm lost already. The ATC says there is no official sign in/register yet I read on these forums about sign ins, registering, getting a number and weight ins. Can someone enlighten me?

Ercoupe
10-11-2014, 07:53
I started at the Falls because it was part of trail before 1958, when the trail started at Mt Oglethorpe.

I had seen the Falls previously, and the stairs are no fun. I did the old trail east of the falls thru the woods, and reconnected at the top.

jimmyjam
10-11-2014, 08:30
Okay I'm lost already. The ATC says there is no official sign in/register yet I read on these forums about sign ins, registering, getting a number and weight ins. Can someone enlighten me?

there is a register ( a notebook in a metal box)at the first blaze on the rock on top of Springer Mountain- see my profile picture, I am on that rock. There is also a register at the ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry where they take your picture and list you as # xxxx passing thru Harpers Ferry. There is another register at Katahdin.

coheterojo
10-11-2014, 13:57
I really enjoy the Approach trail. I did it on my very first hike on the AT back in 2004 and I hiked it both thruhikes NOBO and hiked it last year while finishing my SOBO thru.

Woof Shaven
10-20-2014, 22:19
I have the Data Book, the companion and AWOL. I am doing the Approach. AT LEAST I THINK I AM. Currently I am surfing more than reading those books. I don't know my start time on that big day but I assume I'll make it to the top just in time to camp that evening.

Are there good places to camp up there at the trail's beginning (relatively safe) or would it be better to figure out a way to make it to the first good shelter if that means skipping the approach after all.

Otherwise I don't mind doing the 8 blue blazed miles.

Del Q
10-20-2014, 22:27
I vote in with swisscross, heading back to the AT in April,

Springer - Franklin, on a bit of a tight time frame, no approach trail planned as of now.

July
10-20-2014, 22:28
I have the Data Book, the companion and AWOL. I am doing the Approach. AT LEAST I THINK I AM. Currently I am surfing more than reading those books. I don't know my start time on that big day but I assume I'll make it to the top just in time to camp that evening.

Are there good places to camp up there at the trail's beginning (relatively safe) or would it be better to figure out a way to make it to the first good shelter if that means skipping the approach after all.

Fantastic! You can sign in, weigh your pack, talk to the Rangers, and see Amicolola Falls. If in reasonable physical shape, can leave Ranger Station by noon and be sitting on Springer by Sunset. Shelter and plenty camp sites when you arrive. Enjoy!:)

MuddyWaters
10-20-2014, 22:52

Its 8.8 mi if I remember. Half a day. You can easily make it much farther if you want. Especially since next several mi are easy downhill grade.

rafe
10-20-2014, 23:13
Its 8.8 mi if I remember. Half a day. You can easily make it much farther if you want. Especially since next several mi are easy downhill grade.

Half a day? For most folks just getting started it's the better part of a day, and a strenuous one at that. Most nobos don't do 17.6 mile days (2 x 8.8) until a week or two later. ;)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-21-2014, 00:03

Plan to hike it because "I may never pass this way again" so why not. And if I am going to worry about doing 8 miles, what the heck am I doing thinking about doing 2200, give or take one or two, but you need to HYOH for your own reasons.

hikehunter
10-21-2014, 03:15
I did the stairs at the falls in March 2014....did the Smokies in 2012. did Shannondoha in 1988. and other little sections over the years....
I will start above the falls in 2015 and I feel that "once is enough....." so, will I have done the trail or not....????
I say...."HIKE, THE HIKE YOU WANT...OR NEED."

bigcranky
10-21-2014, 07:06
Half a day? For most folks just getting started it's the better part of a day, and a strenuous one at that.

Yeah, this. Beginning long distance hikers are not (should not be) doing 15 or 20 miles per day out of the gate. Can some do that? Sure. But most can't.

waasj
10-23-2014, 21:11
Depends, we hiked that section in July and shuttled into Nimblewell Gap. Hiked to Hawk Mountain the first day then Gooch Mountain on day two. Hit Woody midday on day three. Hiking with three adults and four kids 12-15 years old, so mileage was set a bit short. Water was getting a bit hard to find at times. I like Nimblewell because it avoids the mile hike south to Springer then back North to FR 42, and it cuts the approach down to about two miles. I have hiked the approach on more than one occaision, and while it is not anything too crazy, it does seem like a pointless up to start things off with. I agree with the post that if you are through hiking, it is just another couple of miles but if oyu are sectioning, it may not be worth the time and effort. Hiker Hostel in Dahlonaga handled our shuttle and parking. No complaints on their service.

moytoy
10-24-2014, 06:22
Driving to the top of a mountain is just wrong! :D

map man
10-24-2014, 08:01
As someone who aspires to hike the AT southbound one day, I prefer to think of it as the "Exit Trail.":rolleyes:

And yes, I hope to hike it.

full conditions
10-24-2014, 09:35
One thing not to be overlooked is the fact that a hike from Amicalola Falls to Springer is a walk from the Piedmont Province to the Blue Ridge Province. There is a subtle but noticeable change in vegetation communities and, for long distance hikers, is the only time they'll set foot on the Piedmont during their entire trip. In this way, its literally a walk from the flatlands up into the mountains.

Grampie
10-24-2014, 10:53
Most shuttle providers will charge you more to take you to the top of Springer. A thru-hike is about walking, so why not just walk to the top, by the approach trail.
During my thru I walked the approach trail. After about a hour of walking I stopped for a break and to think about my thru-hike. I considered giving up then and there. I re-grouped and promised myself to give it a try for at least a week. I ended up walking the whole trail.

Lone Wolf
10-24-2014, 13:02
Most shuttle providers will charge you more to take you to the top of Springer. A thru-hike is about walking, so why not just walk to the top, by the approach trail.

so why not just walk all the other blue blaze trails off the AT between GA and ME?

RED-DOG
10-24-2014, 14:11
so why not just walk all the other blue blaze trails off the AT between GA and ME?
that sounds like something I would like to try one day, thank you Lone Wolf for inspiration.

rafe
10-24-2014, 14:50

Not a bad idea actually. I've been working on it... :)

full conditions
10-24-2014, 14:56
Not a bad idea actually. I've been working on it... :)
Yah, me too. It's all just walking after all. Just about done with the Smokies - two trails left.

lonehiker
10-24-2014, 15:02

I think I said this 40 or 50 posts ago....

RED-DOG
10-24-2014, 15:06
there is a register ( a notebook in a metal box)at the first blaze on the rock on top of Springer Mountain- see my profile picture, I am on that rock. There is also a register at the ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry where they take your picture and list you as # xxxx passing thru Harpers Ferry. There is another register at Katahdin.
on all three of my thru's I did sign the three mentioned registers, and on all three thru's I met people that signed them and people that didn't, I don't understand why signing these registers are so important to some folks you either sign them or you don't and the folks that didn't does that mean their thru didn't count.
approach trail you either hike it or you don't it's your decision.
these two topics is what everybody wanted to talk about on all three of my thru's, Why is these two topics so important to thru-hikers?

RED-DOG
10-24-2014, 15:39
theirs NO official way to sign in. you either sign them or not.
if you don't, it will not effect your thru-hike status upon completion, it's your decision.
HYOH whatever that means to you.

MuddyWaters
10-24-2014, 22:47

If I sleep with one girl in a sorority, do I have to sleep with all of them? Can I choose the ones I want to?

CrumbSnatcher
10-24-2014, 23:26
you live in GA. why not go day hike it and check it out for yourself? driving the FS Roads are kinda cool too!

Pedaling Fool
10-25-2014, 07:16
If I sleep with one girl in a sorority, do I have to sleep with all of them? Can I choose the ones I want to?Somebody's got to do it:)

waasj
10-26-2014, 11:46
Camp sites and shelter are about a mile from the terminous. No camping at the summit.