PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian Loop question

TNhiker
10-06-2014, 20:05
Howdy...

Gots a quick question for ya'll-------the Standing Indian Loop of Kimsey Creek Trail>AT>Long Branch-----am I going to get a good a** whuppin by doing this in 3 days/2 nights?

Or should I not be worried about it?

CrumbSnatcher
10-06-2014, 20:12
this hike is doable in 1 day, but why rush :-)
you will be fine with your schedule. which direction are you going?

TNhiker
10-06-2014, 20:14
that is up in the air.....

which way is "easier" or more desirable?

right now, probably do kimsey up to at and down long branch...

but, ill ponder this for hours between now and when i go.....

CrumbSnatcher
10-06-2014, 20:18
hope you have a blast! stay warm & take a big drink of spring water for me :-) i'm stuck in Nebraska :-(
i miss the springs as much as the views!

TNhiker
10-06-2014, 20:25
speaking of keeping warm----had snow this past weekend up in the mount rogers area........

so, which direction of the loop is "easier"?

blue indian
10-06-2014, 21:42
This is a pretty easy hike. Totally manageable in 2 nights/3 days. I specifically remember the trail being nicely graded through this 20 mile section. Going up Albert (NOBO) is really the only challenge.

I did the loop coming up Long Branch to the gap and taking a right on the AT to Kimsey Creek

TNhiker
10-06-2014, 21:48
so, after only doing one hike (this past weekend) since july (been doing canoeing/camping trips since then), I wont get my arse whupped doing it in 3 days/2 nights?

good........

daddytwosticks
10-07-2014, 07:21
I'm an average shape guy with some extra pounds around my gut. I've done this many times in both directions. It's an easy two day hike by staying around the Carter Gap Shelter area (half-way point). Great tenting sites here and reliable water. :)

bigcranky
10-07-2014, 07:47
This makes a really nice 2-night hike, especially since we have a 4-hour drive at each end. I prefer to go up Long Branch and come back down Kimsey Creek, though that means you get a short, stiff climb to start the hike. That first climb will certainly get your attention, but I don't know about an ass-whuppin. That depends on you... :)