PDA

View Full Version : Current Issue ECWCS Generation III - Extended Cold Weather Clothing System - 7 Layers

Woof Shaven
10-06-2014, 21:17
What are your thoughts on the ECWCS GEN III (7) layer clothing system. Readily available from Internet merchants near you.

Technically its suppose to be equivalent to top of the line type professional mountaineering clothing systems. The only drawback I can see is you will be trekking in camouflage. Pick your color, ACU, MARPAT, MULTICAM, etc. Would you go trekking in camouflage?

First you find your right size in underwear (investment gambled), sizing charts are available, and then everything else in that same size will fit like a puzzle piece right on top of the previous layer.

You can wear any combination of layers too.

Level-1 (Top and Bottom) is a Polartec silk weight base layer.
Level-2 (Top and Bottom) is a Polartec quilted thermal base layer.
Level-3 (Top only) is a Polartec fleece loft insulation top.
Level-4 (Top only) is a synthetic wind breaker not exceptionally water resistant.
Level-5 (Top and Bottom) Dupont Nomex and Kevlar (fire resistant) soft shell
Level-6 (Top and Bottom) Gortex rain shell
Level-7 (Top and Bottom) parka layer for cold dry stationary positions.

Levels 1, 2, and 3 are not camouflage.

I don't have a total weight yet on a complete set of X-Large/Regular yet as my scales are still coming in the mail, but overall I would not classify the system as particularly heavy.

Level-5 may be a chore to pack when the weather is warm on a kind sunny day, but everything else stuffs really well. I'm not evening considering bringing along Level-7. It should be needed on a three season hike.

Which top and bottom layers in a (7) layer clothing system of a civilian variety might you take on an AT trek? I think ECWCS GEN-III surplus prices are at about the same price as your general purchased new mid-tier store bought civilian systems? Most of the ECWCS GEN-III surplus can be obtained new in its original packaging too.

Feral Bill
10-06-2014, 21:48
Some layers would never get used for hiking. If the price is right it might be useful to pick and choose for conditions.

jarrett.morgan
10-06-2014, 22:23
Level 1 and 2 are great pieces of equipment. I have multiple pairs of each and use them in various weather conditions. Plus, they seem to be great quality and durable. I however do not think anyone would need the entire system. Just buy what the levels you think you will need.

greentick
10-06-2014, 23:41
Hey! It's not a fashion show or a backpacker mag article (heh, just look at my gallery). Pick what you need to use and what fits you budget and get out there.

I still use a gen 1 brown pullover poly-p. Just not next to skin so it doesn't stink.

Mags
10-07-2014, 00:34
Welcome back Greentick! :)

If you want a Montbell Thermawrap clone, Greentick wrote a great article about using an m65 liner jacket to make one.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?41034-Field-Jacket-Liner-Modification

OwenM
10-08-2014, 00:22
What are your thoughts on the ECWCS GEN III (7) layer clothing system. Readily available from Internet merchants near you...Which top and bottom layers in a (7) layer clothing system of a civilian variety might you take on an AT trek?

From a soldier's perspective, this is great stuff compared to what was available in the past, with the largest selection of options for various conditions to date.
From a backpacker's, not so much.
The fleece and synthetic insulation(think heavy-duty versions of the Patagonia Micro Puff series) pieces are much heavier and bulkier than lightweight or ultralight down alternatives, and even the windshirt is double the weight of its civilian counterpart. The level 2 baselayers are also very bulky, relatively heavy, and too warm for 3 season use-though the bottoms were great when working in single digit temps during the polar vortex, for sitting around camp, and supplementing the sleep system.
Personally, I would not use any of it, except perhaps the level 1 baselayers, for hiking on the AT, unless it was in winter at higher elevations.

We got the original generation 1 ECWCS at Ft. Bragg over 23yrs ago, before it became standard issue, and had the opportunity to "test" it in the field for up to 3 weeks at a time. It had its downsides, but 20yr old paratroopers aren't gear gurus, and it was so much better than what we were accustomed to using that we loved it, particularly in the wet and cold.
This 3rd generation would have blown our minds, but it doesn't replace lightweight backpacking gear.

Kerosene
10-08-2014, 10:29
For temps down to freezing (perhaps a bit below) with winds below 20 mph, I find that I'm more than comfortable with the following setup in camp [all weights Men's Medium]:

Long-sleeve Zip-T thermal shirt (actually an Arc'Teryx top, comparable to midweight long underwear) [8 oz]
Polarfleece 100 (aka, microfleece) sweater [11 oz]
Montbell hooded windshirt [2 oz]
Integral Designs e-Vent rain parka [10 oz]

Bottom
Smartwood 250 midweight long underwear [7 oz]
REI Adventure Travel pants [9 oz]
Montbell wind pants [2 oz]
e-Vent Rain Pants [9 oz]

Extremities
Midweight gloves [3 oz]
zPacks CF overmitts [1 oz]
Black Rock Gear Hadron S down beanie [1 oz]
PossumDown Socks [2 oz]
If it gets much colder in camp I resort to my sleeping bag a bit earlier than usual (or do jumping jacks to try to keep warm). I slackpacked using most of this gear (sans windstuff) across the Roan Balds in 6" of fresh snow, a starting temp of 10F, 40 mph sustained winds with 70 mph gusts (fortunately under crystal clear skies) and was toasty warm.