PDA

View Full Version : What degree for more versitility

Dholmblad
10-06-2014, 22:14
Currently looking for another bag to add to my gear. Have a heavy heavy 10 degree bag which is synthetic. And I also have a marmot pounder which is rated to 40 but I dont know if itll go that low comfortably.

Anyways I am looking at picking up a quilt. And am debating on 20 vs 10*. This quilt will be used for hiking on the AT almost exclusively. Anyone have insights on this? I do enjoy some late fall early winter camping.

Cadenza
10-07-2014, 07:02
Sounds like the 10* quilt is your ticket.
It will get you through fall at higher elevations.
Quilts are easy to regulate with venting for times when you don't need so much cover.
The 20* could be marginal in early winter.

12trysomething
10-07-2014, 07:10
For your consideration, at what temperature would you decide not to go out on a trip? For instance, if the forecast was an overnight low of 10* one of the nights would you go/no go? Once that is determined, first ensure your pad (if a tenter) is rated for that temp then, get a quilt/bag rated for within 10* of your max low. I usually go with the 10* over mark to save weight and $ as I will wear my clothes to keep them warm and me warm as I sleep. Buying new gear is a blast! Enjoy.

Studlintsean
10-07-2014, 12:11
For your consideration, at what temperature would you decide not to go out on a trip? For instance, if the forecast was an overnight low of 10* one of the nights would you go/no go? Once that is determined, first ensure your pad (if a tenter) is rated for that temp then, get a quilt/bag rated for within 10* of your max low. I usually go with the 10* over mark to save weight and $ as I will wear my clothes to keep them warm and me warm as I sleep. Buying new gear is a blast! Enjoy.

Also, where will most of your camping be done? SW VA where the elevations tend to be a bit higher or NoVA, WV, MD where the elevation is much lower? I am in the latter and can stretch my 20 Deg WM bag into the low teens with clothes, beannie, and puffy when it rarely reaches these temps. Just another thought.

Dholmblad
10-07-2014, 13:51
Generally most of my hiking will be done in the NoVA area. It doesnt generally get into the teens that often around here. But maybe up in the mountains it does.

Dholmblad
10-07-2014, 13:53
But I guess since the weight difference in quilt would be 22 oz(20*) vs 25 oz (10*). I might as well get the 10 degree and carry it whenever I am not using my summer bag. The weight difference is not too much.

Cadenza
10-07-2014, 19:29
But I guess since the weight difference in quilt would be 22 oz(20*) vs 25 oz (10*). I might as well get the 10 degree and carry it whenever I am not using my summer bag. The weight difference is not too much.

You may scoff at the idea,......but I've found taking BOTH a lighter weight sleeping bag AND a quilt to be very versatile.
You can use either/or,....or both,....and the combined loft will take you on down to single digits.

I use a Feathered Friends 25* "Winter Wren" and a Hammock Gear 20* top quilt and love that combo even at high elevations and through most of December.

Dholmblad
10-07-2014, 21:28
Soooo I could use my synthetic 40* bag and a 20* down quilt to get me down a few degrees?

Cadenza
10-08-2014, 00:52
Soooo I could use my synthetic 40* bag and a 20* down quilt to get me down a few degrees?

Yep. You'd be surprised.
I think it's a great way to go.

Flounder940
10-08-2014, 12:01
I'd look at the Jacks R Better High Sierra Sniveller quilt. It's rated at 5-10 degrees and is a bit wider that other quilts. I use it when hammocking, but have also used it in the ground with no problems whatsoever. Their quilts are in stock and generally ship within a day compared to some other cottage vendors whose wait time could be weeks.

Dholmblad
10-08-2014, 16:35
Honestly I am not too impressed with that companies website. But I appreciate the information.

kayak karl
10-08-2014, 20:58
Honestly I am not too impressed with that companies website. But I appreciate the information.a better web site would make a better quilt ??? are you comparing web design to gear design?

10-K
10-08-2014, 21:02

You can absolutely do this. I take my 20* bag and use my 50* bag as a liner and am good to single digits, no problem. Both bags are MontBell Superspirals. Both bags together weigh right at 3 lbs.