PDA

View Full Version : which direction?

One More
10-06-2014, 23:06
Winding stair gap(Franklin) to fontAna dAm or start in Fontana Dam and go back to Winding stair?

Which way is easier?

daddytwosticks
10-07-2014, 07:15
Don't know which is physically easier. For logistic purposes, I'd start at WSG and end at Fontana. Secure parking and a hot shower (seasonal) waiting for me at the end. I also believe you may be close to services for quick food. :)

saltysack
10-07-2014, 07:42
Don't know which is physically easier. For logistic purposes, I'd start at WSG and end at Fontana. Secure parking and a hot shower (seasonal) waiting for me at the end. I also believe you may be close to services for quick food. :)

I'm hiking from glassmine gap to fontana in 2 weeks...I know you frequent this area...been out lately? Leaves changing yet? Water sources flowing? Any idea how late in season showers are open at fontana dam? Thx for input...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
10-07-2014, 07:44
There's a long steady climb in both directions to start. Personally I'd go northbound and finish at the dam. Don't forget to stop at NOC at the restaurant for a hot meal or two... :)

HeartWalker
10-07-2014, 08:35
I remember the climb northbound out of NOC being pretty demanding.

daddytwosticks
10-07-2014, 16:27
I'm hiking from glassmine gap to fontana in 2 weeks...I know you frequent this area...been out lately? Leaves changing yet? Water sources flowing? Any idea how late in season showers are open at fontana dam? Thx for input...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year, the colors look about average to me. We had a light frost down here in the valleys Saturday night. That's early for us. Maybe that frost will make the colors pop? We've had some good rains over the last several days, so water should be good also. Don't know about how late in the season the showers stay open. Good luck and have a great hike. :)