PDA

View Full Version : MLD superlite bivvy versus Equinox bivvy

English Stu
10-07-2014, 06:29
I have some experience in with the Equinox, not sure if I am comparing like with like. Is the MLD bivvy that much better. I would get the full hood bug net. I fancy doing some cowboy camping in good weather and I think useful in shelters. I use the Gatewood cape for shelter.

Honuben
10-07-2014, 07:10
I have the mld superlite but have no experience with the equinox. I also have it with the full bug net and opted for it for better ventilation. Like you, i figured to use it for cowboy camping and shelter use to avoid critters crawling over me. It has worked good with one exception. Knowing the weather forcast in maine one night it was suppose to drop into the low 30s. I was using a 20* down quilt and wore my thermals and socks. I unfortunately got to warm prior to the 20* drop in temp and began to perspire and condensation formed inside of the bivey. I got rather cold that night but learned a good lesson. I think the bivey is better suited for use with a synthetic quilt, or knowing the weather is going to be cold, not to use the bivey.

English Stu
10-08-2014, 06:29
Thanks Honuben.Temperature regulation in the bag is not always easy. I get some condensation in the foot area with the Equinox I think it gravitates downwards. I find feet can be cold early on and then you have to take the socks off during the night or vice versa in other conditions.The only time I didn't take the Equinox was on the Muir Trail and I wished I had it most nights.
I see the advantage of the MLD is for a quick camp and decamp not to mention all the stars. Not keen on sleeping in the Equinox with a head net.

English Stu
10-09-2014, 11:28
I have ordered the Superlight bivy , I think the DWR top and the hooded bug net make it an improvement on the Equinox.