PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with kids

squeezebox
10-07-2014, 09:38
First off my son is 20 and does not like the woods.
I've heard claims that heavy impact sports can damage the growth plates of children.
So what precautions to take with children?
Or is this even an issue?

rafe
10-07-2014, 09:45
What's a growth plate? Full-contact football can be injurious, that's a fact. Hiking, not so much, I think. I can't see how it can be anything other than beneficial.

HooKooDooKu
10-07-2014, 11:10
"Hiking with kids" and "my son is 20"... sorry, but those two don't seem to be related.

I also would not call hiking a "heavy impact [on the body]" sport. My son commented just last week that his school pack (with just shoulder straps) weights more than his hiking backpack (his pack is usually limited to his sleeping bag, sleeping pad, cloths, extra water, and perhaps an extra stove).

Coffee
10-07-2014, 11:13
Is the question regarding a 20 year old (an adult) or children? I know that many parents carry some weight for their small kids to make it a better experience but I think the line might have to be drawn around 8-10 years of age... and by the time many folks have a 20 year old child, maybe the "child" should carry some weight for the parent! :)

OCDave
10-07-2014, 14:07
Harmful is sitting in front of the computer, video game, TV or any other mindless, sedentary activity. Hiking....precautions? This question seem misdirected.

OCDave
10-07-2014, 14:19
Harmful is sitting in front of the computer, video game, TV or any other mindless, sedentary activity. Hiking....precautions? This question seem misdirected.

Sorry, submitted before I intended. I was trying to convey, there isn't much that could be more beneficial that getting a child out onto a trail and into the woods. A 20 year old man would benefit as well.

lemon b
10-08-2014, 17:45
Kids are going to grow their own wings. I started them car camping with short hiking in diapers. One of them does the wake and bake now a days. Guess I'd rather see that in the woods than on the streets. Hate it when they sneak in booze, that' s when I try and get em off trail and homeward bound. Have had 3 all now 20 & 28. But be grateful, had another who was never able to walk, thinks thats part of what killed him although the doc's say heart, lung, and kidney infection medicine dance is what really did it.. officially renal failure. Only brought him a couple times because of the wheelchair, feed pump, and g-tube... way too much to pack in. but I do believe he was into it spiritually.

Traveler
10-11-2014, 09:39
A common mistake made with kids on trails (which includes me as well) is presuming kids can walk distances and elevations you find easy. This can come from the observation they keep up with you doing a variety of things. Kids at different ages should be treated in an age appropriate manner. For example, with kids from 6 to 10 years old its its usually best to start them out slowly, limiting their carry weight to water only, a mile or two trail on gentle terrain and up the distance and elevations as they mature to it. Older children in their teens should be able to tolerate longer distances of up to 4 miles or so and more serious elevations to start with.

jr05
10-13-2014, 15:12
Older children in their teens should be able to tolerate longer distances of up to 4 miles or so and more serious elevations to start with.

Teenagers only being able to hike 4 miles! I can see that if they are just starting out, but if they are active up until then, they should be able to do way more than that. I certainly know I was eager to get out and bag some big mountains when I was a teen with my parents and my hiking friends.

I think the best thing is to gauge it based on your child, you know them best, but take their input seriously. If they are having fun and striving to keep going, that is great for everybody. If they are sick of it and tired, don't force them to go on longer hikes. Forcing a kid to do something they don't want to is the best way to make them resent the activity and not want to do it. Make hiking/camping/whatever fun for them and don't push them hard, especially at young ages.

Having said all that, I have a kid growing up through this now and I can only hope he continues to enjoy the outdoors/hiking/camping so we have some good activities to do together that gives us both some fresh air and exercise. I guess I will know in a few years if my "advice" is accurate.

HooKooDooKu
10-13-2014, 17:26
A common mistake made with kids on trails (which includes me as well) is presuming kids can walk distances and elevations you find easy. ...Older children in their teens should be able to tolerate longer distances of up to 4 miles or so and more serious elevations to start with.

Teenagers only being able to hike 4 miles! I can see that if they are just starting out, but if they are active up until then, they should be able to do way more than that.

Both statements are true, as I sort of learned the hard way this weekend.
My 8yo, that has only been doing some weekend hikes with me for about two years has hike 10 miles in a day, done an overnight hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, and had no problems doing a 7 mile day in GSMNP this past weekend. But on that same trip, a 9yo that was with us and on his first overnight trip could only manage about 4 miles with ease (those last 3 miles of that 7 miles were at 1MPH).

So my point is that jr05 is right that teenagers (and applies to much younger children) with some experience should be able to do WAY more than just 4 miles... but AT Traveler is also right that you have to expect a lot less from someone of ANY age who is just starting out.