PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Prescription Meds/pills

CynJ
10-17-2005, 08:08
For those that carry prescription meds/vitamins/supplements - do you divy them up before you go or carry each one separately?

I take seven pills in the morning and I am trying to figure out if I want to carry like 3 pill bottles (some of the pills look identical and would need to be separated) and grab them out individually every day or just buy a couple of the the larger size 7day pill boxes and divy them out before I go so there is no muss no fuss. I don't see a big weight savings either way- so I may go with the two 7day boxes in a ziploc.

orangebug
10-17-2005, 08:16
Another choice is to see if your pharmacist can "bubble pack" your Rx's for your daily doses. I'd still keep them in a Ziplock. The weight and volume would likely be less than the usual 7 day organizers.

briarpatch
10-17-2005, 10:14
You may need to make sure that the original container or original label is used, as well. I've noticed in newspaper crime reports that one of the charges is "carrying prescription medicine in other than the original container". I'm guessing that some states require that some prescription meds be carried in the original container. Does anyone know for sure?

Footslogger
10-17-2005, 10:50
If you've got a good memory I'd say put them all together in the same bottle or baggie. Problem I have sometimes is remembering whether or not I've taken the days dose ...in which case having them broken down by day is a real benefit.

'Slogger

CynJ
10-17-2005, 10:54
problem is that I take 3 white tablets that all look identical - so I would have to separate them out in three containers regardless.... so if I am going to go through that much work I might as well just separate them out for the daily doses - that will save my non-functioning morning brain from hurting itself. lol....

Alligator
10-17-2005, 11:01
Here's 2 ideas for being a gram wheenie, I don't necessarily think they are great.

1. Score the surface of two brand white pills with symbols. The third would be blank. I don't think this is a very good idea as you could still mix them out. I would suggest carrying them around for several weeks to see if the markings wear off.

2. Find a straw such that you can load your pills singly. Four colored, then three whites, etc. Jam a small piece of cotton in between days for surety. Macdonalds seems to use larger volume straws. You can close the end of the straw off by cutting a small tube off the end, folding the end of the straw over, then slip the small cut piece over the fold like a ring.

CynJ
10-17-2005, 11:35
I could always get those little tiny ziploc backs (like 1"x2") and do a days worth of meds in each - that might not be bad. Or small squares of foil - then store all in one bottle/ziploc back

Some of the "hoss" pill aren't going to fit in a straw...lol....ugh - the trials of trying to be healthy!

Turtle2
10-17-2005, 13:01
The small ziplocks worked well for me. If you really want to keep track, place 7 small ziplocks (1"x2") filled with your day supply into the snack size ziplock. That way you can tell if you forgot to take the day's ration out of a weeks supply.

Shutterbug
10-17-2005, 13:16
For those that carry prescription meds/vitamins/supplements - do you divy them up before you go or carry each one separately?

I take seven pills in the morning and I am trying to figure out if I want to carry like 3 pill bottles (some of the pills look identical and would need to be separated) and grab them out individually every day or just buy a couple of the the larger size 7day pill boxes and divy them out before I go so there is no muss no fuss. I don't see a big weight savings either way- so I may go with the two 7day boxes in a ziploc.
I also take a variety of pills each day. On my recent section hike, I put all of my pills in one plastic bottle. I found that as I walked, the pill bottle became a rattle. With every step, I could hear the pills shaking in the pill bottle. I finally solved the problem by stuffing some clean paper in the empty space in the bottle, but for a while it was irritating.

I carried my daily dose of vitamin pills in small zip locks. That worked much better.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-17-2005, 13:18
My hubby puts each day's meds in the tiny ziplocks sold for coin collectors to use in protecting a largish (half dollar size) coin. Minimal weigh and reusuable. I'd suggest not carrying the whole supply in your pack because of the temps - more than a couple of weeks of heat would likely not be good for your meds' potency. Re: the label issue - have your doc write a note regarding what meds you are on on his / her Rx pad paper. Keep this with your important papers. This should alleviate any problems with law enforcement and will be invaluable to med personnel if you need med treatment in a trail town.

gumby
10-17-2005, 16:44
I have the same problem, I'm going to take my meds in small ziplocs and have them sent on ahead in maildrops.

I found a link for the bags if you need to get them.

http://www.amagickalmist.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=223_277

It is a metaphysical store, just wanted to let you know before you went there. Some people don't understand us Witches.

marc

CynJ
10-17-2005, 17:52
hey! cool Gumby! thanks!

My sister-in-law is a wiccan :) There's cool stuff on that web page and Christmas is coming! lol.....

Frosty
10-17-2005, 18:05
Dancing Light Gear sells tiny food-quality resealable bags that are handy for pills. A bag with a day's worth of pills is good for me. Two prescription meds, an aspirin, a multi-vitamin, and glocosamine Chondritin. Quite a haul. But I found on my attempted thru last year that I tended to forget some details (as in, did I take my pills today?). A baggie a day serves as a reminder. You can carry a couple weeks worth and put the rest in a bounce box.

saimyoji
10-17-2005, 18:11
Check the pills again. In addition to color, most prescription pills are labeled with numbers or letters that identify them.

gumby
10-17-2005, 18:27
Check the pills again. In addition to color, most prescription pills are labeled with numbers or letters that identify them.
Per FDA guidelines they all have to be identifiable. I am a Medical Assistant that has to on a daily basis identify which meds my patients have before they see the Doc. I have a program on my palm pilot that allows me to do this. You wouldn't believe it, the older folks take the pills out of their respective bottles and put them in the daily boxes, then they bring in the daily box and leave the bottles at home. If they are a repeat patient then we have their meds in the record, if they are new I have to get their history as well as their meds. It gets interesting sometimes.

Hey CynJ...if you want a few more sites that has Wiccan stuff I can PM them to you. I am a Solitary Eclectic Wiccan, as well as being an ordained minister, Reiki master and Adamantine facilitator (advanced energy healing).

Have a good one.

Marc.:-?

CynJ
10-17-2005, 18:38
yeah the prescription stuff has identifiers but the supplements don't. And two of my prescriptions are only one number different. Would rather not take the chance. Individual daily packaging will be the key.

Gumby -if you could pm me that would be great - I would love to get her something she would really lilke :)

DLFrost
10-18-2005, 01:15

One issue to be careful about here is exposure to moisture. I use Melatonin to help me sleep and I've had to start carrying them in a tiny airtight plastic bottle because moisture was causing them to soften and fall apart. The longer you are on the trail the more important it is to protect your pills.

If you're filling your 7-day pillbox out of your bounce box it shouldn't be a problem because you're storing the bulk of them away from humidity. Be sure to keep the pillbox in a ziplock.

Doug Frost

orangebug
10-18-2005, 08:20
Folks, the humidity, labeling and weight issues are resolved with your pharmacist's bubble packaging.

CynJ
10-18-2005, 08:24
but OB - they won't package my supplements for me, only the prescription meds.

Spirit Walker
10-18-2005, 09:53
Along the lines of humidity/heat - if you are doing maildrops, be careful where they are stored before mailing. Ours were stored in a hot shed - some of the food went bad (walnuts don't handle heat well, neither do summer sausages). This could be a problem with medications.

tlbj6142
10-18-2005, 11:27
I could always get those little tiny ziploc backs (like 1"x2") and do a days worth of meds in each - that might not be bad. Or small squares of foil - then store all in one bottle/ziploc backWal-Mart sells those 2"x2" ziplocks for ~$2 for 50? 30? I use them for my allergy meds. I still put those ziplocks into another ziplock as they are easy to lose being so small.

swamp dawg
10-18-2005, 11:36
I use waterproof match containers that are light and compact. I take the labels off my prescriptions and attach them to the waterproof containers so if any questions come up I am covered. I realize that it means several containers but all my meds are dry and in an emergency anyone can find info on my meds.
Life is good on the trail....Swamp Dawg

lost & found
10-18-2005, 11:44
I used small ziplocs I found at the drug store. They have a place to write the medication on them. Each time I got to my bounce box, I would resupply with enough of each pill to get me to the next town and bounce box.

Be careful about using the plastic pill bottles. If they are broken, they split and have sharp edges that can cut you or your gear.

orangebug
10-18-2005, 14:45
Ask the pharmacist again. Anticipate you will pay for the service. They do this with OTC's for assisted living, nursing homes and the like - at least around here.

smokymtnsteve
10-18-2005, 19:12
Pills becoming powder and capsule breaking open is another problem with hiking with meds,

I always package my daily meds in small 1x2 zip lock bags and then place these bags inside a nalgene jar, along with the silica gel pack that came in the original packaging, as I use the daily bags I place the emptys back into the Nalgene jar to keep the other ones tightly packed so they don't bounce and move, turning into powder or the capsules rubbing and breaking open. if you need a little more packing as time goes U can use a little TP...it is very important to prevent the meds from bouncing and rubbing, this could be a problem with having your pharmacy bubble pack them for U.

I rotate the empty bags to the bottom of the jar periodically, also sinece my meds are temp sensitive I keep the nalgene jar inside a fleece stuff sack,

the sun shining on your pack can melt gel caps real fast,,,wraping your meds inside a piece of fleece, long underwear or wool sock is a good insulator.

lostjohn
10-18-2005, 19:42
You may need to make sure that the original container or original label is used, as well. I've noticed in newspaper crime reports that one of the charges is "carrying prescription medicine in other than the original container". I'm guessing that some states require that some prescription meds be carried in the original container. Does anyone know for sure?

I don't know about the state laws but whenever I travel out of the country, I do make sure my medications are well labeled. Also taking unlabeled medicine into an environment that might make them available to others could cause some serious problems. I am sure all of us take precautions to prevent this but it could happen. Also, in the event of an emergency, someone else could assist us if they are marked as well as having a record for the doctor.

When traveling I also take a second set of prescriptions in case of loss.
Praise God, I have gone from taking many pills per day to just one pill.