PDA

View Full Version : Advice to Future ATers from a 2014er

Wired
10-07-2014, 13:50
Hi All,

I did a post that I hope all of you will find helpful in your prepartions...Good luck!
http://www.walkingwithwired.com/2014/09/advice-to-future-aters.html
~Wired PCT 2011, CDT 2013, AT 2014

rafe
10-07-2014, 14:32
Very nicely done!

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
10-07-2014, 21:59
Wired , thanks for the tips, I met you in SNP while I was doing one of my trail angle stops. The Kalan family Mom, Dad and kids and many others stopped by, I just missed you in the 100 mile wilderness but I did run into the Kalan family again, thanks for all of your great advice and insight. Tic Toc

Jeff
10-08-2014, 08:02
Thanks for taking the time to help others....see you down the trail.

jjozgrunt
10-08-2014, 08:09
There is some excellent advice and some great links. Love the Trail Guide apps.

Jack89
10-08-2014, 08:33
Excellent information. Guthook's app is something I will definitely get. Thanks.

Wired
10-08-2014, 13:53
Tic Toc! I was hiking through that area with Jett Cat who I met the moment of your trail magic, so I have you to thank for our first meeting! We talked about you and hoped to see you on your hike heading south to tell you how we first met. Sorry we missed you!

rocketsocks
10-08-2014, 18:55
Like your blog, it flows really nicely. Well done.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
10-08-2014, 18:57
Wired ,So glad to hear about jet cat ,did you finish together ? Hopefully I see many of you at the ATC conference in Winchester in 2015 . Sorry folks for the mispellings of the Kallins family, Tic Toc

"Nothing but Time"

Wired
10-08-2014, 21:36
Tic Toc,

We did finished the final three weeks together and it made the hike for both of us! So great!

Wired
10-08-2014, 21:40
Glad this is helpful to everyone and hoping to continue the ripple effect for those hiking in the future.

JJMorse
10-11-2014, 19:56
Very helpful for my 2015 thru, thank you! And I can't believe I didn't know about that stealth camping document as a NH resident... gold!

Wired
10-12-2014, 01:57
JJMorse,
Great to hear!...Kinda hid that in there and glad you found it. Didn't want to advertise it too much:)

dangerdave
10-13-2014, 11:13
Along with everyone else, I thank you. I'm new to this, so any info is helpful. Yours is well organized and topical. The equipment lists are always interesting to me, since I'm still fleshing out my load. I was considering a pair of mitten shells to cover my gloves in cold wet weather. I'm now in the latex glove camp. Shaves a few dollars off my gear budget. Thanks!

I'm still on the fence about the umbrella, although my four day hike might change my mind this week. It's suppose to rain. Should be an adventure!

Wired
10-13-2014, 14:18
I hope you take an umbrella to test out this weekend as I tried it once and couldn't believe I waited so long...and I live in the NW! You'll love it and everyone will envy you. The hands free setup I have posted on my site is what really makes it great too.

Demeter
10-13-2014, 17:17
Great tips, and nice website. Very enjoyable reading, and sounds like you seriously enjoyed your hike. Thanks!

mjrepooc
10-13-2014, 17:18
Thanks so much really enjoyed your post &reviews.

JohnnySnook
10-15-2014, 04:15
Thank you wired. I go to your blog often as there is just so much info you give the reader.

I'm glad you are a poster here. I actually found your blog thru reading the Kallin's. Its just amazing that you ran into the Kallin's on the AT. These are the thing in life that just happen and can not be made up. When this florida boy is suffering on the trail your journey along with the Kallin's will be my inspiration.

If I'm having a bad day I may just stop at a creek and break out out my fly rod (yes, I'll be carry one) and think back to when I was "Robin Hood". I was actually called "Nature Boy" back in my days camping at his age. I leave it up to you to guess how I got that name.

I seem to post the link to your blog quite often after reading it. I wish I took note while reading it. Guess I'll have to sacrifice three days to re-read it and keep notes. Not that it won't be just as enjoyable.

Thanks for all your blogs about your great travels. Its truly an inspiration!

mdbamabrad
10-15-2014, 12:39
Good job, and congratulations.

Wired
10-15-2014, 19:38
So wonderful to hear JohnnySnook! Yes, I'm so fortunate to have overlapped with the Kallins and it really is something that could never be made up in a book. Just amazing! Stories like that are why we all love thru hiking so much. I'm just glad I have them all written down to share with everyone and even with myself as it really helps me to appreciate it so much more. Thanks for your comment.

capehiker
10-15-2014, 21:57
Ivebeen following your blog since your PCT hike. Congratulations on your Triple Crown!

Wired
10-15-2014, 23:36
Hi Capehiker! I always like hearing from those there since the beginning. It's been quite a ride hasn't it!? Seriously can't even make this stuff up! Just love it!

Praha4
10-17-2014, 10:11
Wired: great info, thanks for sharing. I've tried a couple different food bags over the years (Granite Gear Air Zippsack and the Ursack), and each had its pros and cons. Mice destroyed my GG Air Zippsack this summer in Vermont, and the Ursack is nice, but weighs more. So I decided to try the Zpacks Cuben Roll-Top food bag that you recommended.... ordered one and it just arrived yesterday, and I really like the look and light weight. Will be using on my next hike. Thanks for sharing all your ideas on gear.

Wired
10-17-2014, 12:35
Great to hear Praha4. I'd still be careful as it isn't intended to be more odor proof than an OP Sack. It is pricey, so I hope it works for you! I stayed away from the shelters, so that helps too, ha!