PDA

View Full Version : Teton Crest Trail

DandT40
10-08-2014, 12:55
We are looking to plan a trip out to Yellowstone and the Grand Teton parks next July. Our window is from 4th of July through the 20th. I know this is a little early for higher elevations, but with school schedules thats what it has to be. We are looking to do a 3-4 night backpacking trip with some high payoffs for views. I'll have my two teen-age daughters with me so mileage needs to be a little conservative - 8-15 miles a day depending on elevation gains of course. Originally we were planning on backpacking in Yellowstone, but it looks like there are a lot more loop and transportation options in the Tetons and with Yellowstone being so large the loops are really long or an expensive shuttle is needed. So first off - are there any suggestions of trips in either park?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Teton Crest trail. We can break it off at a couple points to limit the days/miles, but my big concern is the weather. I've heard in past heavy snow years parts of the trail are under significant snow and require a snow ax for everyone in your party. Any way to really know for sure until the time comes? Would our odds be better going out on Cascade canyon vs Paintbrush canyon? Same on the south end. We were planning on the tram ride to start the trip, but if we could save some snow we could take Death canyon or Alask basin in. Thanks for any help.

PatmanTN
10-08-2014, 13:44
This site isn't bad: http://tetonsnowinfo.com/

But if i remember to post it later there is a better climbing site with trail conditions updated by Rangers. The views in GTNP are much more epic than Yellowstone but the trails are tougher. I highly reccommend paintbrush canyon as the Patinbrush divide views are some of the very best in the park. I just got back from here a few weeks ago and the glaciers were no issue due to low precip. Didn't even bring the micro-spikes. But every year is different story of course. If you want a spoiler let me know and I can link my video. :)

PatmanTN
10-08-2014, 13:51
Oh and no there is no way to know until right before the trip and even then you could get suprised. I brought a near -winter kit and my microspikes but based on what we saw and the weatehr report/ websites, I left the spikes in the car.

Overall, I was astounded at how variable the weather is there. I had 30-40 degree F temp swings almost every day. The last couple of nights were near single digit lows. Clouds would blow in white and then change to black the clsoer they got to the Tetons. You had to really keep an eye out and be ready to batten down the hatches.

DandT40
10-08-2014, 13:54
Nice I have a new website to watch! Hopefully it is a low snow year for our sake. Yes, please post up your video! Would love to see some more of the trail. Thanks for the info. I guess we will have to play it by ear a little bit. If we don't get our permit approved ahead of time we'll have plenty of time to plan out options and see how the weather develops.

Wil
10-08-2014, 14:02
Nice I have a new website to watch!Add http://tetonclimbing.blogspot.com

PatmanTN
10-08-2014, 14:30
thanks Wil...that is exactly what I was thinking of

PatmanTN
10-08-2014, 14:32
Here is the vid from a few weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTLrkzlbcN8

PatmanTN
10-08-2014, 14:33
full screen is best...it is HD

DandT40
10-08-2014, 16:14
Nice video. Thanks, you got my excitement level at a 10 now for a trip that is 9 months away! That looks sweet though - minus the hail! lol

PatmanTN
10-08-2014, 16:56
Excellent! The excitement level should be high! That place is awesome......we did it the hard way by starting at the Leigh lake trailhead and hiking up Paintbrush canyon / across the divide..but most everyone else did an opposite loop by using the ariel tram to gain the first 4000 feet in ten minutes. We took pride in the hard route but if I were going with wife and or young ones I would seriously consider the tram.

DandT40
10-08-2014, 18:15
I noticed that in your video that you guys went the "other" way. Just about every guide/trip report I have seen goes the other way - most using the tram. Like you said with the wife and kids the tram is a no brainer.

Venchka
10-08-2014, 21:30
The Teton Crest is a top 10 on anybody's list. Don't sweat it now. Scour the Park's web site for all the backcountry rules. Pay attention to the early reservation limits. When you get there, the backcountry folks will route you. No worries. It is all good. Do all the day hikes you can as soon as you get there to get acclimated. Tram up (or down) is the right idea. I think (verify) that the Park provides bear cans and ice axes. If axes are needed.
Have a great trip.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

archie
10-08-2014, 22:52
Great thread for me, I plan hiking this trail next Aug! Best of luck.

PatmanTN
10-09-2014, 07:03
yes the canisters are provided with permits....they only had the Garcia models when I was there but usually have Bear Vaults in addition.

OwenM
10-09-2014, 14:25
Teton Crest plus some extras, or heading down to the corner of ID for a couple of days, is on my short list for upcoming fall trips. Thanks for the video; some beautiful scenery!

CarlZ993
10-09-2014, 14:54
This is a great hike. We hiked w/ another couple. So, we had a car on each end. I'd somehow arrange a shuttle from the end (String Lake/Jenny Lake) to the start (tram). We showed up in early Sep w/o permits. We had been chased out of the Winds due to snow a few days earlier. They didn't get as much snow @ GTNP. We could only get two campsites - Death Canyon Shelf & North Fork Cascade Canyon. We were a bunch of 50/60 somethings. You should be fine w/ you & your teen-age daughters. Enjoy!!

DandT40
10-09-2014, 15:54
Thanks. I'm hoping to either have my brother come up from Colorado for a few days and shuttle us on his way out or I'll swing it on the bus from Jenny Lake to Jackson and then Jackson to the tram for a shuttle. I was looking over camping zones for the permit and it looks like there is even a possibility of doing this with only one site in the official boundary of GTNP in case we have problems getting a permit. I was hoping to get our first night at Marion Lake, but I have read that you can go just beyond Marion Lake and then you are outside the park and camp anywhere you find a spot. Same deal in the middle. Seems like most people stay at Sunset Lake in the Alaska Basin which also is outside the park and no permit is needed. The only spot where we'll need a permit for sure is the last night and there are a good 3-4 different camping areas that we'll have to choose from which shouldn't be a problem to get one of them as a walk up.

But the plan is starting to come together! Hotels in either the Tetons or Yellowstone are just RIDICULOUS. Most of the hotels in Yellowstone are already booked and the ones around Jackson are so expensive... Even the reserve-able campsites are filling up so I guess I'm not planning this too far in advance!

PatmanTN
10-10-2014, 08:56
DandT40,

We stayed at The Hostel...maybe not ideal for a family but depending on how many in your group you might be able to secure a four person bunk (shared bathroom). The place was pretty nice for a hostel. http://www.thehostel.us/

just a thought, though at $38 per person per night it really isn't that much cheaper than hotel if one person is paying for all the beds as in your case.

DandT40
10-10-2014, 11:45
Thanks, thats not a bad option for the private bunk room around $120! Like you said - for a hostel it doesn't look half bad.

Dogwood
10-10-2014, 14:18
I've onle been to Teton NP once but the memories are still fresh. I will go back again. Views abound on the Teton Crest Tr all or any portion of it. I consider it a highlight of sharp peaked iconic mountain scenery throughout. With teenage daughters I would take the tram up to the crest and hike towards Paintbrush Canyon knowing that if the miles per day don't happen as you expect you have an early and also scenic out down Cascade Canyon past Hidden Falls to Inspiration Pt. I rec the ferry too across Jenny Lake - cherry on top at the end of a scenic hike keeping all thoroughly entertained with scenery and diversity - tram, hike, lakes, sharp snow covered peaks reminescent of Torres del Paine and Fitz Roy in Patagonia, canyons, wildlife, waterfall(s), boat ride, etc.

You'll need bear canisters which the NP Visitor's Center rents cheaply. Easy enough to drop it off at Jenny Lake when done if you head out that way.

There's a Hostel in Teton Village where you can drop off a car. Take the bus around the area. This would prolly be one of the least expensive lodging options in the area.

Slo-go'en
10-10-2014, 21:23
If at all possible car camp at the GRNP campground and then do several day hikes before the actual trek. Paintbrush canyon is really nice. July is good, lots of wild flowers out.

Venchka
10-10-2014, 22:59
Here you go. Don't get too excited.

http://www.awayfromthegrind.com/blog/hiking/leapfrogging-the-teton-crest/

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

DandT40
10-14-2014, 10:06
Nice write up Wayne. I liked the pictures too. Can't wait!!! Sounds like it will be great.

Slo-go'en - We're doing this backpacking trip at the end of a longer trip where we will go to the badlands, car camp 3 nights in yellowstone, then come down for a night in the tetons, then go backpacking. I don't know how many day hikes we'll be able to get in down in the Teton's, but we do have one day that is kind of "flex" day right now where we have no plans. I wanted to do the Hermitage Point loop or the LSR preserve for some day hikes that would take us to different parts of the park we won't see backpacking. But if you were talking about acclimating to the altitude for the day hikes we should be pretty good after 2-3 days of hiking around yellowstone.

Dogwood
10-14-2014, 13:06
We discussed much of the same Teton Crest Tr and logistics material at Trailgroove. Here's the links with Wanderer posting his recent eye candy pics of what you're in store for. I made a post there confusing you taking your teenage daughters with Wanderer who soled the trail.

http://www.trailgroove.com/showthread.php/1224-Grand-Tetons-Natl-Park-Teton-Crest

http://www.trailgroove.com/showthread.php/997-Teton-crest-info-requested

If I'm understanding you right you are now saying you have only one day allotted in Grand Teton NP?

DandT40
10-14-2014, 13:24
If I'm understanding you right you are now saying you have only one day allotted in Grand Teton NP?
Thanks, I'll check out that trip report for sure. Well one day in the front country inside of GTNP and then the 3-4 days backpacking.

Dogwood
10-14-2014, 13:36
The TCT is quite possible with a 3-4 day time frame based on taking the tram up to near the trail w/ teenagers. Just don't get caught up with logistics once there. Get those time consuming tasks tucked away pre arrival so you don't waste time. I do however rec a pic under the elk antler trellises in Jackson Hole.

archie
10-23-2014, 15:52
All the trip plans I can find include a shuttle of some sort between Jenny/string lake and Teton Village/Teton pass. Is there any reason people do not hike the valley trail to connect the end points and eliminate the shuttle?

I am thinking of starting on the valley trail, maybe Lupine trailhead , and hiking the crest trail as a loop. I was looking at hiking up granite canyon, maybe going the other way up paintbrush would be fun too. Any thoughts fro those that know?

DandT40
01-07-2015, 11:04
Got our first choice of permit this morning! Can't wait!!!!

archie
01-07-2015, 12:45
I got mine as well! YIPEE!

Venchka
01-07-2015, 14:18
I'm envious! Have fun!

Wayne