PDA

View Full Version : ULA CDT or...something else?

mak1277
10-08-2014, 17:52
So fairly recently I had some luggage stolen from my car while visiting Muir Woods north of SF. One of the items I was relieved of was a ULA CDT backpack, and I'm looking to replace it. I liked the CDT...well made, perfectly functional, etc....but I wanted to use this as an opportunity to see if there was anything comparable/better.

I used the CDT both as a daypack and for 1- or 2-night backpacking trips. I go fairly light (tarptent rainbow, EE Rev. 20* quilt, alcohol stove, minimal clothes), so it worked perfectly fine for the trips...maybe even a little bigger than what I needed.

I love the price of the CDT, and would really need to be convinced to buy something more than $150...but I thought I'd throw it out and see if anyone had any other recommendations.

Thanks

Miner
10-08-2014, 18:18
Sorry to hear about the loss of your pack. I've own a ULA CDT for a couple of years now and use it for up to 6 day sections without issues. In fact, I just recently finished the 180 mile Tahoe Yosemite Trail where I even had to carry a bear can in it for the last 4.5 days. So I like the pack as it offers a lot of space and if packed correctly, can be carried comfortably. The only other packs I've consider replacing it with would be Mountain Laurel Designs Prophet (slightly lighter) or a Zpacks Arc Blast (has a frame but less durable). But both cost more.

Colter
10-09-2014, 11:52
I have a CDT and used it on my last thru-hike. I tend to need and/or want a new pack after a thru-hike. Not this time. I plan to use the CDT on my next one.

If you are happy with the CDT, that seems more reliable than the opinion of somebody else on what's comfortable.

Cedar1974
10-17-2014, 09:22
I'm thinking of getting myself a CDT in time, mainly because it seems to be the best value. Most other packs of that size and quality cost about $200 or more from what I've seen.

Slo-go'en
10-17-2014, 09:37
You could talk me into selling the one I have to you. It's like new, lightly used for just a couple of overnight trips in fair weather. I find it's a little too big for a summer overnight and a little too small for longer trips with the gear I have. Plus I prefer a pack with a top pocket or "brain", rather then a roll down top and I like some kind of frame rather then frame less. PM me if interested.