PDA

View Full Version : Tent site between Fontana and Stecoah? Cody gap?

sccamper
10-08-2014, 21:43
Going to hike from Fontana to Stecoah Gap in a few weeks. The first shelter(Cable Gap) is a bit close to Fontana but the second(Brown Fork Gap) is further than I want to go. Im looking at the possibility of tenting in the Cody Gap area. My map shows water there but nothing about camp site. Anybody familiar with this section know of a flat spot to tent? What about along the side trail towards Wauchecha Bald?

Thanks

MuddyWaters
10-08-2014, 22:10
Everywhere that says gap in that stretch (and most) generally means a "saddle" with some flat ground with room for a tent somewhere. I recall eating a snack at a campsite with large logs somewhere in there neat Cody, but there was some confusion about where we really were. My son was navigating.

We stayed at nice campsite at a gap just north of brown fork gap shelter, with water, while all the herd was sleeping on horrid steep sloped ground around the shelter. Its the little things that make you smile.

Ted M
10-08-2014, 22:29
There was no water at Cody Gap that I could find a month ago. I did that same stretch like this: Yellow Creek Gap to Stecoah Gap then back to Brown Fork Gap shelter for the night. The next day I went to Fontana and stayed there, then back to Yellow Creek the next day.

Tipi Walter
10-08-2014, 23:23
Here's a pic of Cody Gap with my friend Amy Willow as I joined her for a small part of her 2006 thruhike. The main camping is to the left in this pic and water is to the west a bit.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2006/With-Amy-Willow-On-The/i-tNdrHdd/0/L/57-30%20%20Willow%20and%20friends%20at%20Cody%20Gap-L.jpg