PDA

View Full Version : mobile protein

middle to middle
10-17-2005, 14:13
At a shelter in Va. I was awakned all night by mouse traps snapping shut. Each time the hiker got up and re set the trap. In the am he had more than a dozen mice. He proceeded to skin them and make a stew which he then ate.
I am from Ny. and in the city the word among some homelss people who lived in the subway tunnel system was that the underground provided heat, shelter, water and food. They cought rats and cooked them on a spit.

I once had squrrel stew which has to be very close to rat but as close as I care to get. Of course I am not planning an ultra light super cheap hike either.

Newb
10-17-2005, 15:40
That was me. I prefer the mice deep fried but will gladly eat them boiled if I have some mustard.

Nightwalker
10-19-2005, 00:09
I once had squrrel stew which has to be very close to rat but as close as I care to get. Of course I am not planning an ultra light super cheap hike either.
I grew up in the deep country eating squirrel and rabbit fried and stewed and with dumplings. Nothing second-class about them.

Did not taste like chicken!

smokymtnsteve
10-19-2005, 00:20
I grew up in the deep country eating squirrel and rabbit fried and stewed and with dumplings. Nothing second-class about them.

Did not taste like chicken!

I liked squirrel back when I used to eat meat,

bar b Q rabbit ain't bad eithier