PDA

View Full Version : What to Waterproof

jred321
10-09-2014, 09:04
What in your pack gets waterproofed or seam sealed? Tents obviously get seam sealed. What else?

Sarcasm the elf
10-09-2014, 09:35
I don't manually waterproof/seal much of what I carry besides my tent.

I line my pack with a large contractor grade garbage bag, inside that I keep my sleeping bag in a sea to summit dry sack. My phone is always in a lifeproof case, I also use a waterproof bag for my foodbag so that i don't wind up eating soggy bread and crackers.

Wise Old Owl
10-09-2014, 09:58
I use a waterproof sil nylon sack for compressing my down bags and jackets

Feral Bill
10-09-2014, 10:44
Nothing at all.

Just Bill
10-09-2014, 11:32
Shelter- whatever you use, assuming the seam is not already taped/sealed.
Pack- don't bother. Besides making a mess of your pack gobbing on the sealer, you'll add an ounce or more of weight better spent on a liner or cover. If you go the cover route, that may need sealer, but most often not.

rain gear- Most gear has taped seams now, but check. Might be a good time to renew a DWR coating if needed.

As mentioned- better off double bagging something critical (down) than trying to bombproof the whole pack.

Kerosene
10-09-2014, 12:01
I spray DWR coating on much of my gear as well as camp clothes. I can't tell you how many times I spilled something on my camp pants and the DWR treatment worked like a charm. I even sprayed my fleece so that it sheds any light rain or tree-drip around camp.

Now that I think about it, I probably need to refresh the DWR treatment on my 10+ year old WM UltraLite sleeping bag.

Old Hiker
10-09-2014, 14:45
Same as Kerosene: not DWR exactly, but Camp-Dri: http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Heavy-Water-Repellent/dp/B000HJ7CLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412880260&sr=8-1&keywords=camp+dri

Won't buy it from Amazon, but you get the idea. Wally sells it for a bit cheaper, hardware stores as well.

End of my sleeping bag (foot), down vest (outside), synthetic BDU liner (outside), boots.

squeezebox
10-09-2014, 14:51
Sorry for being stupid but what does DWR mean?

Sarcasm the elf
10-09-2014, 15:41
Durable Water Repellant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durable_water_repellent

horsefarm
10-09-2014, 20:59
i seal my tent and thats about it. keep a liner inside my pack. clothes go in a dry sack and food goes in a dry sack. everything else loose in the liner except toiletries and stuff which i stuff into ziplocks. if it HAS to stay dry itll go in a sack. i barely ever deal with water inside the liner, but when i do the sacks stay dry and the kitchen and misc items get tiny amts of water on them even in heavy downpours. i dont use a pack cover but really should for the nights i want to sleep with my pack inside. also i could probably get rid of the dry sacks if im using a liner and cover.

saltysack
10-09-2014, 21:14
Only use a white compactor bag inside my ULA..sl bag and dry cloths inside...twist fold top then use a woman's hair tie to keep folded over and twisted...never had any thing get wet inside even after solid rain all day...food goes in zpacks food dry sack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freightliner
10-09-2014, 21:28
I go crazy with the DWR on the bottom of my tent I don't think you can have too much sealer on that and I also like to have DWR on my gators it helps with the car wash in the morning

Dogwood
10-10-2014, 15:34
Apply DWR or WP to dyneema backpacks and quilt/sleeping bag stuff sacks. Seam seal some(silny, spinnaker) tarps and shelters. Reapply DWR/WP to rain gear.