PDA

View Full Version : ?s for endurance athletes

lobster
10-17-2005, 15:10
1. For a multi-day endurance activity, such as a speed hike, what would be the "best" way to hike the uphills, flats, and downhills? Jogging or walking?

2. What resting heart rate do ultrarunners have? I recall David Horton having something between 27 and 29 beats per minute a few years back.

Lone Wolf
10-17-2005, 15:31
1. Walking
2. Mine is 44 beats per minute

soulrebel
10-17-2005, 15:52
1. It's a waste not to power up hills-walk the rest of the time to rest up for the next big hill
2. They don't have HR's they run on lil debbie power!!!

p.s. If my HR went down to 27 or 29-I'd think I was dying and have a beer.

betic4lyf
10-17-2005, 16:52
i think it would be a good idea to jog flats and downs, and walk fast up, and sometimes steep downhill. dont go to fast, you will just tire yourself out. slow and steady wins. you could cover more miles by increasing your time by an hour than increasing speed

DLFrost
10-17-2005, 22:56
1. For a multi-day endurance activity, such as a speed hike, what would be the "best" way to hike the uphills, flats, and downhills? Jogging or walking?

2. What resting heart rate do ultrarunners have? I recall David Horton having something between 27 and 29 beats per minute a few years back.

I moderate my pace so that I am expending roughly the same aerobic output--slower uphill, faster downhill, medium on level places. During the activity itself I try to preserve as much capacity as possible in case I need it later. I save the going-all-out for training hikes where bailing-out is easier.

Resting & max heart rates can differ greatly between individuals. You shouldn't be compairing yourself to others. What matters is what your resting rate was when you started training vrs. what it comes down to in response to training. That's proof that you've increased your available reserves. Ultimatly though, you'll find out what you've really got on the trail.

Doug Frost

fiddlehead
10-17-2005, 23:21
I too try to maintain and even keel.
Power walk uphills, jog or super-fast walk on levels and run downhills.
I attempt to regulate myself thru my breathing.
If i'm breathing too hard, i'm going too fast.

Whistler
10-18-2005, 07:52
1. I think DLFrost and Fiddlehead have the right idea. I also try to keep my heart rate in a specific range, depending on the distance I'm shooting for. Walk up, fastwalk or jog flats, take the downhills quick. Finding that 'sweet spot' and riding it is a very cool feeling. An important thing is to not go into a bad anaerobic zone [out of breath, muscle burning, fatigue etc.]
2. I don't know what ultrarunners heart rate is, and I'm no ultrarunner. If I'm in fair shape like I am now it's in the mid 50s. When I shape up, it arrives in the mid-low 40s.
-Mark

the goat
10-18-2005, 09:10
1.) jog everything if you can
2.) i'm at 51 bpm

chris
10-18-2005, 09:50
It depends on what you mean by a speed hike. If you mean a mundane 30 mile per day hike, just walk the whole thing. Don't worry about running as racking up 30 miles a day most every day is fairly straightforward and doesn't require any special technique. Getting up above 40 is a different story, however.

My resting heart rate is a little below 60, so everyone here has me beat. I'm much better looking, so there.

Chomp09
11-05-2005, 12:58
I prefer to push on the uphills and then recover on the downs...