PDA

View Full Version : Topo Maps

jimyjam
10-11-2014, 12:18
Should I take a set of topo maps of the Appalachian Trail for my NOBO thru hike? Or, is the AWOL guide book the only thing I need?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coffee
10-11-2014, 12:43
I've always carried the National Geographic map for SNP and I purchased the PATC maps for northern VA, MD, and Southern PA and the Keystone Association maps for the rest of PA. I like having good physical maps but most hikers I've met seem to get by with the AWOL guide plus sometimes apps on their phone.

couscous
10-11-2014, 13:11
AWOL's AT Guide http://theatguide.com is all you need.
If you want topo maps, you can get Guthook's AT Hiker app http://www.guthookhikes.com/apps

Havana
10-11-2014, 19:00
+1 for Guthook's App. Used it on several weekend hikes on the AT and it was very helpful.

brybur208
10-29-2014, 12:25
AT guide has an elevation profile. All you need.

Feral Bill
10-29-2014, 12:53
Maps, if you are map literate, enrich your appreciation and enjoyment of the country you pass through. And you should become map literate.

rafe
10-29-2014, 14:04
I always carried the official ATC maps, plus appropriate pages from the ALDHA guide. I guess the AWOL guide is how it's done nowadays.

jjozgrunt
11-05-2014, 18:34
For those that have the Guthook app, is there any info on towns and accommodation on it? Couldn't find that info on the site.

jimyjam
12-31-2014, 11:04
For those that have the Guthook app, is there any info on towns and accommodation on it? Couldn't find that info on the site.

Does anyone have any info about the app having towns, resupplying spots and or water sources info?

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Connie
12-31-2014, 11:11
+1 Guthook

Helpful free update mid-January.

Free Demo app.

Furlough
12-31-2014, 11:16
Should I take a set of topo maps of the Appalachian Trail for my NOBO thru hike? Or, is the AWOL guide book the only thing I need? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For my section hikes along the AT I like both the Maps and a guide (AWOL, or ALDHA) for the additional info on campsites, water sources and towns.

Furlough

jimyjam
12-31-2014, 11:27
Sorry to post prematurely. I found this info on their website. I'm putting it here to share with others.

Reasons that you’ll want Guthook’s Guides on your hike:

5000 miles of trails and more to come.
Thousands of points of interest along the trails, ranging from water sources and campsites to views and places to visit.
Photos for most points of interest, so you’ll know what you’re heading for.
Virtual trail registers, where you can share notes with other hikers.
Interactive elevation profiles, so you’ll see just how difficult the climbs are.
Instantly updating trails and points of interest. As soon as we get info about re-routed trails or new points of interest, they’ll update on your phone.
Trail news: get and share information about major events that affect the trail.

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

RED-DOG
12-31-2014, 11:35
On both my NOBO thru's i used the AT compannion, and thats all i needed but i will suggest that you get the AMC maps to NH cause most of the trail through NH goes by a different name such as Franconia Ridge trail, without these maps the trail through their can be quit difficult to navigate. in my opinion NH is the hardest state to navigate through but the rest of the trail is easy no maps needed

also please remember that theirs a section above tree line in NH that is actually "YELLOW BLAZED" to make it easier to see during bad weather.

Sly
12-31-2014, 15:31
Added features to the 2015 Companion. Local ATC maps and local NH trails.

Traveler
01-01-2015, 09:23
I always carried the official ATC maps, plus appropriate pages from the ALDHA guide. I guess the AWOL guide is how it's done nowadays.

I use the ATC maps and see more ATC Maps than AWOL guides myself, but I don't ask everyone I see. I think the ATC product is better and I prefer supporting the organization.