PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Bag Cooking Recipe: Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice with Mushrooms

Demeter
10-11-2014, 13:36
I was supposed to be backpacking this week but my daughter's last minute decision to attend Homecoming changed all that :o

The next best thing is to come up with a recipe that I was able to try out on a hike the other day. I love the homemade version of this stuff, so thought I would try a trail version.

The full write up is here (http://demeters-dish.blogspot.com/2014/10/great-lakes-creamy-chicken-and-wild.html)

1 packet Lipton Cream of Chicken Cup a Soup
1/4 cup freeze dried chicken
2T dried mushrooms
3T dried wild rice (cooked then dehydrated)
optional chicken broth packet

place all in freezer bag. Rehydrate with ~1/2c boiling water (enough to cover ingredients plus a little more). Let sit for 15-30 minutes, until rice is done.

Mobius
10-11-2014, 15:20
That sounds great! The up-to-thirty-minute rehydration is a bit of downer (I'm hungry NOW!) but I think I'm going to have to try it.

jarrett.morgan
10-12-2014, 17:40
I have been trying to increase my options of meals and start making more complicated food. I will definitely be adding this to my recipe list.

July
10-12-2014, 20:23
Looks tasty, gonna whip a batch up! :)

4Bears
10-12-2014, 21:06
It looks and sounds good. I think the "cook" time could be reduced by pre-soaking the rice for a bit while hiking.

mad4scrapping
10-13-2014, 15:32
I can't find cup a soup anymore. Where do you buy it?

July
10-13-2014, 19:15

If you are having a hard time locating, you can always purchase off of Amazon.

ZenRabbit
10-13-2014, 20:49
Where do you get the chicken crumbles? :)

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 using Tapatalk4

July
10-13-2014, 21:53

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 using Tapatalk4

From a Chicken, of course...:)

Demeter
10-14-2014, 06:08

I had to look a few places before I found it. The Walmart didn't have it at all, Food Lion has it but not Cream of Chicken, but Giant/Eagle had it!

I purchase all my trail meat from www.beprepared.com or www.thereadystore.com . It's a big plunge to place an order for freeze-dried meat, because it is so pricey, but if you are really into making your own meals for the trail, it is totally worth it! The meat rehydrates nice and tender in minutes, and it is so lightweight. I try to wait for sales, then pay around $30 for a #10 can, from which I can get 15-20 dinners. If you don't want to wait and order freeze dried, you can try a foil pouch of chicken from the store. A little heavier, and the taste is a little different, but it works :)

I've been "cooking" with freeze dried and diy dehydrated foods for quite some time. I am working on a post comparing which ingredients are better when making your own DIY trail dinners. Meat is always hands-down freeze dried for me, except some ground meat recipes.

Dogwood
10-14-2014, 14:49
Carnivores might cringe for saying this but some Heath Food stores sell TVP in chicken nugget sizes and resemble the texture of real chicken contained in chicken nuggets. Demeter, have you ever dehydrated Morningstar Farms soy Chicken Nuggets? I wonder if they would work in your recipe.

Demeter
10-19-2014, 10:08
Carnivores might cringe for saying this but some Heath Food stores sell TVP in chicken nugget sizes and resemble the texture of real chicken contained in chicken nuggets. Demeter, have you ever dehydrated Morningstar Farms soy Chicken Nuggets? I wonder if they would work in your recipe.

I used to be a big TVP fan, so this is definitely an option. I think the fake chicken would work well, too!

WingedMonkey
10-20-2014, 21:34
I use the Lipton Cream of Chicken Cup a Soup (I find it in some Publix here and stock up when I do) as an addition to my re-constituted chicken or turkey that I dehydrate from canned breast.

I add the boiling water to both the chicken and the soup mix then serve over stuffing for my Thanksgiving (or whatever pagan holiday I can get away for in the winter) dinner.

shelb
10-30-2014, 00:45
I often presoak rice and beans. This really cuts down the time it take to get the meal ready!