PDA

View Full Version : trailplace.net

rickb
10-17-2005, 15:34
Anyone visit www.Trailplace.net lately? :)

I particularly liked the automatic redirect after a few seconds of confusion. :D

Ender
10-17-2005, 15:47
Anyone visit www.Trailplace.net lately? :)

I particularly liked the automatic redirect after a few seconds of confusion. :D

Interesting...

tlbj6142
10-17-2005, 15:51
Recently Troll was able to acquire www.whiteblaze.com as well. Which is a good thing considering I see it typed as .COM quite often on other groups.

Big Dawg
10-17-2005, 16:49
too cool!! I never visit that other site,, so didn't realize it was a .com,,,,,, Bravo ATTroll!!!!!!

SGT Rock
10-17-2005, 16:49
That was odd.

tlbj6142
10-17-2005, 16:56
I believe Troll "got" trailplace.net well over a year ago, though I don't remember the transition page in previous years. Whiteblaze.com is new as of a week, or two, ago.

I saw a reference to whiteblaze.com and followed it to some stupid page. Did a quick whois search and reazlied that Troll owned it, but didn't realize it. He quickly made the re-direction to whiteblaze.net.

orangebug
10-17-2005, 17:06
What a hoot!

CynJ
10-17-2005, 18:03
so bad....lol.....

Roland
10-17-2005, 18:12
Notice that www.Trailplace.net (http://www.trailplace.net/) contains is a link to Wingfoot's site.

AT Troll is a classy guy.

Roland

the goat
10-17-2005, 18:20
Notice that www.Trailplace.net (http://www.trailplace.net/) contains is a link to Wingfoot's site.

AT Troll is a classy guy.

Roland
chivilrous indeed:jump :jump :jump

attroll
10-18-2005, 00:43
I believe Troll "got" trailplace.net well over a year ago, though I don't remember the transition page in previous years. Whiteblaze.com is new as of a week, or two, ago.

I saw a reference to whiteblaze.com and followed it to some stupid page. Did a quick whois search and reazlied that Troll owned it, but didn't realize it. He quickly made the re-direction to whiteblaze.net.
Yes I had paid for WhiteBlaze.com and was on the waiting list and was waiting until it became available. I wrote two years ago to the company that owned it and they wanted like $10,000 to purchase the name from them. I laughed when they wrote me backing saying that. Needless to say I did not buy it from them. So like I said I put us on the waiting list and forgot about it. I was suppose to get an email when and if it ever got turned over to me. But I never did.

Then tlbj6142 wrote me saying it was in my name. So I research it and low and behold it was. So I put a redirect in so it would go to WhiteBlaze.net. This is a good thing because I have seen people write WhiteBlaze.com many times not know the correct extention. So now it does not matter because they both come to us now.

Thank you tlbj6142 for making me aware of this.

Big Dawg
10-18-2005, 07:06
ATTroll,, tell us the story about how/why you obtained trailplace.net,,,, pretty ingenious in my opinion,,, redirecting to whiteblaze w/in a few secs,,,, but also showing your class----as mentioned above-----by providing a link to "that other place". You & Rock should be rather proud of how Whiteblaze has evolved!!! :D

tlbj6142
10-18-2005, 09:40
Regarding trailplace.net, if you notice it is owned by a "proxy service" which hides the true owner. Does someone other than Troll own it? Maybe a "friend of whiteblaze"?

attroll
10-18-2005, 12:42
Why do people think I own it? LOL.

rickb
10-18-2005, 13:02
It is also a coincidence that I just sent in my first Paypal contribution to help support this site. :D

Spirit Walker
10-18-2005, 13:33
Actually it is an illegal site. Purchasing a domain name very similar to an existing and well known domain and then redirecting traffic to another website is considered similar to a trademark infringement. The owner could be sued and would likely lose. In the event of a lawsuit, Proxy Service won't protect the real owner for very long if they are faced with defending themselves in a losing case.

Tim Rich
10-18-2005, 13:41
Actually it is an illegal site. Purchasing a domain name very similar to an existing and well known domain and then redirecting traffic to another website is considered similar to a trademark infringement. The owner could be sued and would likely lose. In the event of a lawsuit, Proxy Service won't protect the real owner for very long if they are faced with defending themselves in a losing case.

With links to multiple AT places, I believe the site redirect falls well below the threshold to be considered an infringement. A compelling argument could be made that the current configuration could actually help Dan's traffic by eliminating a dead link.

I think adding links to Kathy Bilton's AT site, ATC and ALDHA would confirm the generic utility of the site.

Take Care,

Tim

attroll
10-18-2005, 13:52
That link has been up well over two years now. Someone posted about it in October of 2003. Whom ever did it had good intentions it looks like. They did not isolate it to just our site. So it looks like they were not doing it to be vindictive towards Trailplace at all. I could be wrong though.

So are were going to start something here about copyright also. LOL

SGT Rock
10-18-2005, 14:34
Well as I understand it we can own the domain and if he would like to get it under copyright, he could certainly try. But I also own HikingHQ as a domain, but only under the NET extension. HikingHQ.com was a gear store at the time, and now it is someone's personal website. I have lots of material which would be protected under copyright with HikingHQ on it, but I do not own that name as a trade mark which is totally different than a copyright. As far as I know, Trailplace is not a registered trademark.

The same could be said for a lot of things like the name Trek which could be copyrighted as a movie, but also be the name of a bicycle and probably other things. Trek.com and Trek.net could exist as two separate entities and not infringe on each other.

The only thing I would worry about is the graphics that WF produced for his site being used on the page, unless he has (and this is likely) given prior concent to use as a link to his site for anyone putting up a web site.

rickb
10-18-2005, 14:55

Edit: Unintentional post.

max patch
10-18-2005, 15:42
The only thing I would worry about is the graphics that WF produced for his site being used on the page, unless he has (and this is likely) given prior concent to use as a link to his site for anyone putting up a web site.

Actually, if the original owner of this site can be believed, WF was asked and he declined a link from Whiteblaze to Trailplace. And (hopefully) without debating the issue, this is understandable given his feelings about the A.T.

SGT Rock
10-18-2005, 16:01
Well I am not saying that he specifically gave permission or denied permission. As I understand it he did not want a reciprocal link - which is fair since I turn them down all the time. What I was trying to say is that often a site does not care if someone uses their logo that they made if you use it on your site as a link place-mark back to the site. An example would be if someone were building a personal site and used the WhiteBlaze logo as their link image to take someone here. In fact, often sites like this one or TrailPlace may even create a special smaller logo for that specific purpose.

Tabasco
10-18-2005, 16:14
My only suggestion would be to correct the spelling of "informitive" to "informative"

OTT, I loved it.

max patch
10-18-2005, 16:30
Actually, if the original owner of this site can be believed,

Perhaps I should clarify for the newer members here that I am NOT referring to either Sarge or Troll.

SGT Rock
10-18-2005, 17:13
Perhaps I should clarify for the newer members here that I am NOT referring to either Sarge or Troll.

You have the institutional knowledge to remember the old days here :D