PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mtn suggestions for Thanksgiving

JimmyTheSaint
10-11-2014, 20:54
Does anyone have suggestions for a 3-4 day trip around the Smoky Mountains? 8-10 miles per day. Would prefer a loop but open to others as well. Thanks for any help.

July
10-11-2014, 21:11
Does anyone have suggestions for a 3-4 day trip around the Smoky Mountains? 8-10 miles per day. Would prefer a loop but open to others as well. Thanks for any help.

The three main access pts are Fontana Dam, Newfound Gap, and Davenport Gap. If you want to stick strictly to AT, need two cars or a shuttle. Parking at any of these spots, or numerous campgrounds you can loop on sidetrails/ AT. Reference your trailmaps to decide on what area of the park would be interesting to you, so many possibilities.

July
10-11-2014, 21:34

Example: Park at Standing Bear and shuttle to Newfound Gap. Your mileage/day stats would work here, with no backtracking. AT the whole way

July
10-11-2014, 21:58
:welcome JimmyTheSaint

Starchild
10-11-2014, 22:56
Clingman's Dome as well as Mt Colin's Shelter is also a reasonable AT access point.

JimmyTheSaint
10-12-2014, 05:09
Thanks guys. Newfound Gap - Pecks - Cosby - Standing Bear looks like it should work.

aaronthebugbuffet
10-12-2014, 19:40
Thanks guys. Newfound Gap - Pecks - Cosby - Standing Bear looks like it should work.
Prepare for cold.
It can happen quick on that section.

JimmyTheSaint
10-12-2014, 22:14
From what I've read, lows usually won't be below freezing, correct? I was planning on taking my 0 degree bag, just in case.

HooKooDooKu
10-13-2014, 10:47
Welcome Jimmy!

1st an FYI: There is a sub-category in the forum specifically for GSMNP (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?82-Great-Smoky-Mountain-National-Park) should you care to utilize it.

2nd - Weather: Long term climate data puts temperature Hi/Lo that time of the year at about 55º/32º in the valleys and 40º/25º on the mountain peaks. Actual temperatures can very easily be +/-15º from these averages. You could have a foot of snow (on the mountain tops), though over the last 10 years or so, there usually isn't snow that time of year.

3rd - Where in GSMNP? - I think because this is an AT centrist forum, and perhaps because you didn't categorize this under the GSMNP sub-forum... most responders seem to think you're specifically interested in only the AT... because most are talking about AT access points. But if you are interested in the GSMNP in general, there are tons more trail heads that are possible.

4th - If you're interested in GSMNP in general, a loop i would suggest is to park at the Abram's Falls trail head at the far end of Cades Cove, walk the Cades Cove road and Forge Creek road (3 miles total) and hike up Gregory Ridge and Gregory Bald to camp site #13. Continue along Gregory Bald until it crosses Parson's Branch Road and becomes Hannah Mountain Trail. Continue on that trail to camp site #14. Continue on Hannah Mountain Trail until it crosses Abrams Creek (tricky unbridged water crossing depending upon water depth... but I've crossed it with kids before) and turn right. This will take you back to your car along with an opportunity to see Abram's Falls.

JimmyTheSaint
10-13-2014, 14:26
Thanks, I've been lurking here for a few months and never noticed the GSMNP sub-forum. :) I'm open to anything that has great views. I don't mind snow or teen temps as long as it's passable without ice axe / crampons.

HooKooDooKu
10-13-2014, 17:16
Thanks, I've been lurking here for a few months and never noticed the GSMNP sub-forum. :) I'm open to anything that has great views. I don't mind snow or teen temps as long as it's passable without ice axe / crampons.
Then a trip to Gregory Bald sounds like the ticket for you. It's basically a mountain top field with no trees. So you get a 360º view. The trails to the Bald are not particularly steep or "wet". So even in cold or snow, you shouldn't need crampons or other serious ice gear to get there.

JimmyTheSaint
10-14-2014, 02:18
So you would recommend that over the AT section?

aaronthebugbuffet
10-14-2014, 02:40
So you would recommend that over the AT section?
That AT section has some nice views too.
If you did a loop with Gregory and stayed off the AT you would tent camp instead of staying at shelters.

HooKooDooKu
10-14-2014, 10:41
Given that the At basically follows the Appalachian Ridge thru the Smokies, there are relatively few views.

For starters, the trail doesn't always stay on the ridge, so there's often a mountain ridge to one side of you. But even when you are walking the ridge, you're still walking thru a dense forest.

There are views... but they come in spurts. I've hiked about 90% of the AT thru the Smokies, and I would hazard a guess that there is an average of less than 100 feet of trail per mile with a view.

aaronthebugbuffet has brought up a point... for the most part, there are shelters along the AT. The only exception is the 1st campsite entering from Fontana dam. The rest of the Smokies is pretty much all tent camping. There are only 3 shelters in all of GSMNP that are NOT on the AT.

One (among many) of the places along the AT that does have some great views is the section going over Thunderhead mountain between Derrick Knob and Spence Field shelters. There's a couple of ways to make a loop hike thru that section starting in the Tremont area using the Trement gravel road (3 miles) to complete the circle.

TNhiker
10-14-2014, 11:21
One (among many) of the places along the AT that does have some great views is the section going over Thunderhead mountain between Derrick Knob and Spence Field shelters

and the section between clingman's and double springs......

the AT rides the ridge right after clingman's and has views of both NC and TN.....

and you can get some views (off a side trail) from the area of silers..........

HooKooDooKu
10-14-2014, 12:02
and the section between clingman's and double springs
That's exactly one of the "among many" that came to mind...

But what would be a good winter appropriate loop that would include that section?
When I've hiked it, it was either part of a one-way trip down Goshen Prong, or a loop with Forney Creek and Jonas Creek.

I've found Forney Creek to contain some of the most difficult water crossings in all the Smokies (mainly because the creek if full of large boulders). I don't have enough winter experience to advise someone thinking of taking that trail should freezing conditions exist.

TNhiker
10-14-2014, 13:32
the trip is over thanksgiving so nothing should be frozen yet......

and the road should still be open.....

HooKooDooKu
10-14-2014, 16:06
"Should Be" is the operative word here.

Odds are there will NOT be snow on the mountains on Thanksgiving weekend. But I have seen a layer of permafrost in the trees at the upper elevations as early as October, and I've heard of people having some issues with ice going to LeConte Lodge in November. So it is possible to face conditions where the day-time highs don't climb above freezing that time of year... that's just not the norm.

TNhiker
10-14-2014, 16:10
that is true as i had snow at mount rogers two weekends ago.......

along with having 4 feet of snow back in october of the year hurricane sandy came through.........post holing through 4 feet of snow getting to icewater shelter was, um, fun.......

but, for the most part----naw, there wont be ice in the creeks at thanksgiving.....

wornoutboots
10-14-2014, 21:36
NFG to Stand Bear has very nice views. If that's what you choose, make sure to hit the side trail to Mt Cammerer Fire tower for a sunrise or sunset. I caught a sunset & night hiked into Davenport gap shelter, it was a killer experience! Standing Bear will shuttle you to NFG for a reasonable price.

wornoutboots
10-14-2014, 21:39
Also plan a stay at Tricorner knob shelter, it's the most remote shelter in the Smokies. I had the place all to myself a few Winters ago except for a ginny hen that lived there, pretty intense night with the tarp flapping all night long ;)

cdk4091
10-14-2014, 22:05
Jimmy

I'm looking for a hiking partner to do the Clingman's Dome to I-40 section of the Smokey's. It looks like 4 days. I have a vehicle and would be happy to drive and/or arrange a shuttle.

CPT Kirk

JimmyTheSaint
10-15-2014, 01:19
Thanks again for all the help guys. CDK I might take you up on that, but can't commit right now. I'm leaving in a couple days and will be out of the country for 2 weeks, I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to get away for Thanksgiving. I'll know around the first week of November for sure and I'll touch base with you then if that's ok.

cdk4091
10-15-2014, 14:10
Jimmy:

I'll keep an eye out for you - enjoy your travels!

CPT Kirk

aaronthebugbuffet
10-15-2014, 23:31
Given that the At basically follows the Appalachian Ridge thru the Smokies, there are relatively few views.

For starters, the trail doesn't always stay on the ridge, so there's often a mountain ridge to one side of you. But even when you are walking the ridge, you're still walking thru a dense forest.

There are views... but they come in spurts. I've hiked about 90% of the AT thru the Smokies, and I would hazard a guess that there is an average of less than 100 feet of trail per mile with a view.

You could say that about much of the AT though other than a few stretches.