PDA

View Full Version : Harpers ferry to Kathadin

Mulungu
10-12-2014, 08:29
Hi all
in 2014 hiked springer to harpers ferry in 75 days and was wondering if we could do harpers ferry to Kathadin in 75 days
we would be starting our walk 1 July and hope to finish around 15 September 2015.

Your ur wisdom and input would be appreciated

springbok and kitty

Gnomad
10-12-2014, 09:22
I am a novice here. But there is a 15 mile day average planning article on this site that hits harpers on day 70 and hits the end on day 148. That seems to correspond with both the average pace and the pace you did quite well.

Slo-go'en
10-12-2014, 10:08
Maybe. Keep in mind the trail gets significantly harder starting in about Vermont and gets really hard in Maine. Therefore to achieve the 15 MPD average, you need to do many 20+ mile days in the beginning (which isn't too hard to do, except that it will be really hot and humid) to make up for all the 10 mile days towards the end.

If at all possible, plan on an extra week or two. You'd hate to be almost done, but run out of time to finish.

Mulungu
10-12-2014, 13:16
Thanks all. I know we will have the flexibility to add a few days at then end if needs be.
Yor responses sort of confirmed my thoughts. I have heard that Vermont and main are really tough

Are they more difficult than the smokies or tougher than Georgia.