PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hiking dilemma

freightliner
10-12-2014, 10:02
I have now hiked from GA to PA and NH to GA among many other trips to truly test gear. So the thing I was wondering is if I do make it to special K next year can I say I did three thru-hikes? All I need to do is go from PA to ME which I will be doing next year and go from NH to ME which I will be doing next year. More likely I will try to turn around on special K and go south to PA. Dose anyone know how you get credit for a yoyo. Is it that you have to do it in a calendar year, 365 days, or up and back nonstop. If time and money holds out it might be nice to react for that golden ring. So that would make four thru-hikes???

lonehiker
10-12-2014, 10:17
I have now hiked from GA to PA and NH to GA among many other trips to truly test gear. So the thing I was wondering is if I do make it to special K next year can I say I did three thru-hikes? All I need to do is go from PA to ME which I will be doing next year and go from NH to ME which I will be doing next year. More likely I will try to turn around on special K and go south to PA. Dose anyone know how you get credit for a yoyo. Is it that you have to do it in a calendar year, 365 days, or up and back nonstop. If time and money holds out it might be nice to react for that golden ring. So that would make four thru-hikes???

You are too old for me to blame this on the "new" math.

Slo-go'en
10-12-2014, 10:29
No, you've done a bunch of long section hikes. The generally accepted definition of a "thru hike" is to complete the trail in a calender year, more or less none stop.

When you finish at Kathadin, you can call yourself a 2000 miler.

Odd Man Out
10-12-2014, 10:44
No, you've done a bunch of long section hikes. The generally accepted definition of a "thru hike" is to complete the trail in a calender year, more or less none stop.

When you finish at Kathadin, you can call yourself a 2000 miler.

Here is what the ATC web site says. Beyond that, you're on your own.

Thru Hiking A thru-hiker is a hiker or backpacker who has completed or is attempting to walk the entire Appalachian Trail in one uninterrupted journey. ...
Section Hiking A section-hiker completes the A.T. in multiple trips over a period of years.

Dogwood
10-13-2014, 08:25
Sounds like once you do those two sections going the appropriate NOBO and SOBO directions you'll have completed both a NOBO and SOBO AT hike as a section hiker not thru-hikes per say and definitely not a yoyo. If what you're doing is a yoyo than anyone who has ever done both a NOBO and a SOBO AT thru-hike in different yrs would also have to be considered to having completed a yoo. NAH!

Starchild
10-13-2014, 09:25
Some people who section hike like to keep a consistent direction (along with some who thru hike it*), as such, while not official, I've heard some section hikers say they completed it all NoBo or SoBo (never going the other direction). I see nothing wrong with your plan, so you can say you hiked the entire trail as a section hiker in both directions.

* For thru hiking it is common enough due to trail angel opportunities, slackpacking, weather and other reasons to be in a situation where you would be hiking for a short segment in the opposite direction - however some thru hiker will not do this and stay true to their direction.

rafe
10-13-2014, 09:50
The thread title is misleading. This isn't about thru-hiking, it's about section hiking.

RED-DOG
10-13-2014, 10:34
A YO-YO is when a person starts at one Terminus and walks to the other Terminus and then turns around and walks back to the terminus He/She started from in a calendar year.
also if you walk from GA-ME and then back to PA, you can say your a 2000 miler for the GA-ME thru-hike, but then you can also say you completed a Flip-Flop that did it in sections.
3 thru-hikes no bro your a section hiker that had nothing else to do.

TheYoungOne
10-22-2014, 10:18
Wait so a Flip Flop does not count as a thru hike? You must start at Katahdin or Springer?

Here was my plan. Hike from Katahdin ME to PA Summer into Fall, break for Winter, Hike Springer GA to PA Spring into Summer, and try to get everything done within 365 days. Is that a thru hike?

lemon b
10-22-2014, 17:43
Yoyo's are damn near impossible. Other than Chip Leonard I haven't met anyone in that big of a rush, and with that kinda jackrabbit style. Thats over 4400 miles straight out.

Malto
10-22-2014, 17:52
Yoyo's are damn near impossible. Other than Chip Leonard I haven't met anyone in that big of a rush, and with that kinda jackrabbit style. Thats over 4400 miles straight out.

It is very possible, just not all that appealing. There are people that have done more than double the 4400 in a year. Also, I have met dozens of people quite capable of an AT Yo-yo.

Rain Man
10-23-2014, 09:26
Wait so a Flip Flop does not count as a thru hike? You must start at Katahdin or Springer?

A flip-flop is a thru-hike. (Some may disagree.) No, you do not have to start at Katahdin or Springer to flip-flop. You can start anywhere. Many start at Harpers Ferry.

Here was my plan. Hike from Katahdin ME to PA Summer into Fall, break for Winter, Hike Springer GA to PA Spring into Summer, and try to get everything done within 365 days. Is that a thru hike?

I don't know of anyone who would call that a thru-hike. To me, it's two long section hikes in two years. Admirable, though.

For what it's worth, I'm not one who believes a thru-hike has to be completed in one calendar year or even in 365 days.

Rain Man

atmilkman
10-23-2014, 09:46
For what it's worth, I'm not one who believes a thru-hike has to be completed in one calendar year or even in 365 days.

Rain Man

I was wondering about this. The ATC says in one uninterrupted journey. Nothing about a calendar year or 365 days. Where did this requirement come from?

lemon b
10-23-2014, 11:16
Malto,
I'm sure anyone I knew that was in the 75th Rangers could pull a yoyo. But Leonard is the only one I've meet who was actually pulling one off. Real time.

rafe
10-23-2014, 11:48
I met "Eagle" at Manassas Gap shelter in 2007. If I heard right he was on a "quad yoyo" of the AT. Whatever that means. He was no spring chicken. He also looked kinda beat, like he'd pretty much run out of steam.

lonehiker
10-23-2014, 11:58
I met "Eagle" at Manassas Gap shelter in 2007. If I heard right he was on a "quad yoyo" of the AT. Whatever that means. He was no spring chicken. He also looked kinda beat, like he'd pretty much run out of steam.

Yoyo is 2 thru-hikes. Quad equals 4. So 2x4=8 thru-hikes? Maybe meant a double yoyo?

lemon b
10-23-2014, 13:46
Bet he was hungry too. Just think of the weather alone being on trail that long. Not to mention the money factor. Quite frankly, I usually get bored after 800 miles or so. Ya know same old , same old.

I remember meeting a retired SF NCO up by Abol Bridge back in maybe 1972 maybe 71. Who had turned around and was headed home down in Ga. Just told me his name was Bob. Carrying a large rucksack which looked homemade. Didn't mention how much longer he was staying on trail but that a couple friends were ahead of him. At the time I was camping and fishing the area. Hardly any resupply. Just one little store that had a crow that used to always be sitting on the porch. Owner said it was their pet.