PDA

View Full Version : Itenery thoughts

squeezebox
10-12-2014, 12:40
Itinerary thoughts
I really don’t like being cold. So I don’t see myself starting at Springer in March, or maybe even early April. So here’s my latest idea. I could start around Trail Days. Flying into D.C. and the train to Harpers Ferry is an easy trip and probably cheapest to get on-trail from St. Louis. Could start hiking north from there, or could catch a ride to trail days from there, a bit more difficult as I’ll have no trail contacts yet. And after Trails days hike north from there, or back to Harpers Ferry from trail days. After Katahdin back to the start and head South. Puts me back from Harpers Ferry say early Aug. Damascus some time later. Portland ME to Harpers Ferry is way easier than to Damascus. Might be able to start with summer gear, not holding my breath with finishing with summer gear. But it would be less winter gear for sure. A lot more time in the green tunnel, not as many views. Won’t have a bubble of friends to hike with, I’ll be hiking way fewer miles every day for a while. Probably less trail magic. Bugs? I’ld be spending more time in 75* + temps and less in 40*- temps. I have read a couple of flip/flop trail journals, not much different than any others. Not sure you can add much to these thoughts of mine, but your opinion will be appreciated.

Slo-go'en
10-12-2014, 13:09
You could fly to DC and then take a bus down to Marion, VA which is about 30 miles north of Damascus. Start about a week before trail days and by the time the trail days bubble catches up with you, you might be able to keep up with some of them.

Personally, I don't like to hike in heat and humidity. It saps my energy. By mid May, it is already getting too hot for me to hike in Virginia. I much prefer the cool/damp days of spring and fall, but each to their own.

saltysack
10-12-2014, 21:14
You could fly to DC and then take a bus down to Marion, VA which is about 30 miles north of Damascus. Start about a week before trail days and by the time the trail days bubble catches up with you, you might be able to keep up with some of them.

Personally, I don't like to hike in heat and humidity. It saps my energy. By mid May, it is already getting too hot for me to hike in Virginia. I much prefer the cool/damp days of spring and fall, but each to their own.

I'll take cold over high humidity and heat...easier on me....IMO it's easier to warm up than cool down with the appropriate gear...best of luck on what ever u choose...hyoh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd Man Out
10-12-2014, 23:21
I didn't quite follow your Trail Day connections, but ignoring that, what you described sounds like the Head Start May itinerary on the ATC web page.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-startHEAD-START: MAY Harpers Ferry, W.Va., north to Katahdin; Harpers Ferry, W.Va., south to Springer Mountain.
Sample itinerary: Start in Harpers Ferry late April or first half of May, reach Katahdin second half of August; return to Harpers Ferry after Labor Day; finish at Springer Mountain the second half of November.

Start in easiest part of the Trail that very gradually gets more difficult.
When you start do not expect to keep pace right away with thru-hikers who started in Georgia.
Start in mild, pleasant weather.
Start amidst spring wildflowers and walk north with spring.
Hike through the mid-Atlantic before it gets hot, humid and water sources become scarce.
If you start earlier than May, plan to reach Vermont after mud season ends (about June 1).
Reach the White Mountains in July, before the peak crowds.
Reach Maine in August, when black flies are gone (but expect crowds the last hundred miles of Maine).
Plenty of time to reach Katahdin before it closes.
Walk south with fall colors on the second half of your hike.
Companionship with early northbounders the first half, then finish the Trail with early southbounders.
Be prepared for hunting season in the South.
Be prepared for cold weather and the possibility of snow starting at the end of October.

squeezebox
10-13-2014, 00:24
odd man
Yep!! that's what I was thinking, Thanks for the clarification.
Where and when to swap out winter /summer /winter gear , remember I sleep cold. Add a week or 2 to the cold weather stuff.
May 1st is International Independence Day . Seems fitting to start then!!
What should I do about hunting season?
Thanks!

squeezebox
10-21-2014, 04:15
So again any ideas about winter/ summer /winter gear changes? and any gear changes? Like a lighter down jacket? or no down jacket? I think I'll keep the heavy fleece top and the base layer the whole trip. Thinking I want more than a 40* bag for May and also at the end. Would like to drop to a 50 L pack and save 2 lb that way.
Thanks for your opinion.

The Cleaner
10-21-2014, 07:42
I was near hypothermic on a July day @ 58*. I was soaking wet from my own sweat and stopped too long and it got cloudy and windy......

The Cleaner
10-21-2014, 07:45
One more thing, I again got very cold crossing Hump Mtn. at 36* and windy on 5-11 a few years ago. Cold is something very hard to avoid on a thru hike.....

Coffee
10-21-2014, 08:28
I got chilled quite badly in Colorado after hiking in the rain and then stopping to talk with other hikers for about 15 minutes. I realized that my hands were not working well and I was starting to shiver and my thoughts were a bit scattered. I opted to not take any chances and pitched my tent very quickly and got into my sleeping bag. Felt better after about 30 minutes and then I made a hot meal still inside my bag and cooking (with Jetboil) outside my tent. I was back to normal after finishing the meal. My take away from that experience was to never stop hiking for too long after getting wet unless ready to make camp. That actually led to increasing my mileage quite a bit on rainy days since I hardly took any breaks. It is near impossible to not be wet when exerting yourself in wet weather so just keep moving.