PDA

View Full Version : Best AT movie ever...

rafe
10-12-2014, 17:28
A "rough draft" was previewed last night at the ALDHA Gathering. It got an extended standing ovation. Here's the website with a short trailer --

http://thelongstarttothejourney.com/author/chris-gallaway/

It was a real treat meeting Chris and Sunshine.

capehiker
10-12-2014, 17:57
I was hoping he would secure the funds to finish the film. The clips he was uploading during his hike were phenomenal.

rafe
10-12-2014, 20:00
I was hoping he would secure the funds to finish the film. The clips he was uploading during his hike were phenomenal.

I can't imagine Chris not finishing the movie at this point.

saltysack
10-12-2014, 20:51
Real nice guy...met him at a pint night @ Black Creek Outfitters. They were holding to promote his film on the AT....unfortunately I was late and missed the film...did manage a few good pints....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DandT40
10-13-2014, 12:36
Really enjoyed the clips up there on the website. Did a great job with the video. Can't imagine lugging a D800 and that 28-300 lens around though! But the results speak for themselves. Really nice stuff.

SteelCut
10-13-2014, 12:51
Chris did receive some funding and is using that money to finish the film. When his Kickstarter project did not reach the funding goal, he partnered with the ATC where the ATC would collect money on his behalf from his Kickstarter supporters that were still wanting to contribute.

http://thelongstarttothejourney.com/the-way-forward/

My wife and I did provide some nice funding for him and we saw a rough cut of the movie with Chris and Sunshine a couple of months ago. We were very impressed with that version although there was some animation and music missing. I'm glad he was able to show the current state of the movie at the ADLHA Gathering and I'm looking forward to the final version.

Woof Shaven
10-13-2014, 17:07
Loved what i was able to see after clicking around to find a video short or perhaps just one of his video blogs.

I now know how to pronounce Katahdin too; for some reason my brain was giving the first "A" a long vowel sound. I sure was going to embarrass myself pronouncing that name one day.

Watching the video stokes me. Thanks for the recommendation.

Its high quality filming too.

rafe
10-13-2014, 17:12
Woof Shaven: your post is oddly annoying in a way -- you've been spared all the earlier attempts, and started with the bleeding edge. Chris' film is to older AT movies what trail runners are to Limmer boots.

Woof Shaven
10-13-2014, 18:27
What's annoying about my comment? The linguistic anecdote?

I'm not sure i even saw a portion of the referenced movie or not. The posted link above eventually took me a beautiful video blog; if that blog is part of the movie then i gave it positive review in my remarks up above. It is a beautiful short film segment and if representative oh his work then I like it.

And its true i haven't seen that many AT Trail movies, or enough that is to, make any kind of critical references to his film work in this segment of the genre, but I did see Walt Disney's "White Wilderness" first run as a child. That's got to count for something when it comes to my ability to draw reference from early trail movies. I would say Chris like Walt has the ability to draw on you emotionally. Chris' style is sophisticate in its approach, while Walt in comparison was brutish? The genre is vast. The two movies being referenced do not really compare, but both films I believe are equally rememberable.

I believe Chris' work shows promise. Thank you for posting the link. I went there based on your recommendation. I look forward to seeing the finished work when it comes out.

rafe
10-13-2014, 18:42
What's annoying about my comment?

Woof Shaven -- didn't quite mean it the way you took it, and didn't mean to offend in the least. Annoying only in the sense of, say, when you've been doing something for a really long time, and someone relatively new comes along and gets the benefit of stuff that didn't even exist when you started?

People just jumping into backpacking or prepping for thru-hikes, or just reading up on the history, have so many excellent resources that just weren't available to us old pharts. Not to mention excellent lightweight gear, smartphones, 20 MPixel digital cameras, Lekis, etc. etc. We old pharts envy you the head start that's enabled you surpass us. That's all. ;)

Woof Shaven
10-13-2014, 19:02
No problems here. I am who you describe, just jumping in, and prepping for, but this thread is not about me.

Its about a wonderful movie we all wish to see completed.

Have a great day Rafe! :)

rafe
10-13-2014, 19:06
Woof Shaven: My reference to "Limmer boots" is partly to convey my meaning in post #8. The "annoyance" is essentially a wistful allusion to technological advances and young peoples' mastery of such advances. Meaning: you got to skip watching a slew of lesser AT movies, because this one really tops them all. You got the gift of Chris' storytelling skills, plus the excellent gear and skill that Chris brought to bear in capturing his hike.

It wasn't until the next day that I understood the extent of his accomplishment. He not only carried a whopping huge load on his back, but he practiced heavy-duty cinematography all along the way, in all kinds of weather and terrain, in all manner of emotional states. I'm in awe of the talent, dedication and honesty poured into this film. The ALDHA folks introducing the film promised it would blow us away, and it did.

I don't wanna gush too much about it -- these two make an awesome couple and I'm just deeply honored to have met them both.

Mike2012
10-20-2014, 02:06
It takes a while to process.