PDA

View Full Version : Medication available without a script

GirlfromOZ
10-14-2014, 18:14
Morning whiteblazers,
I am currently trying to figure out which medications I need to bring with me from Australia and what is available in pharmacies without Drs scripts etc?
I don't want to rely on the fact that I can get items here and find myself have to seek out a dr to get a refill there.

This includes : Asthma relief inhalers, vitamin I and paracetamol, an equivalent of nurofen plus which is a stronger vitamin I.

Does anyone know of a good online resource of where I can find this sort of information??

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-K
10-14-2014, 18:31
Hopefully your list is short - you could probably google "does xxxx require a prescription in the USA?"

Damn Yankee
10-14-2014, 18:36
You will not be able to get measured dose inhalers without a prescription. All that is available is Primatene Mist which is only for emergency use. Ibuprophen is available on shelves. paracetamol is also sold over the counter but, may be called Triaminic or Tylenol. I would get a script from your Dr. for the inhaler and figure out with him how many refills you will need for the duration of the hike.

bigcranky
10-14-2014, 19:02
I have asthma and use various inhalers. None of them are available over the counter -- all require a prescription.

Vitamin I is everywhere, as is acetaminophen (which is paracetamol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol).) Other OTC pain relievers are available, notably Naproxen Sodium, brand name Aleve, which is another non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen but stronger and only requires two pills a day (ultralight!!)

Edit: the astham inhalers are VERY expensive if you don't have good health insurance. A couple of hundred US$ each, minimum. The basic rescue inhaler (albuterol) used to be cheap, but the drug companies managed to convince the FDA to let them patent a new version without CFC propellants, and suddenly they are very expensive again. Grrr. Various corticosteroid inhalers are even more so, I think an Advair Diskus is about $400 at my pharmacy without insurance. If you can bring them all with you, do so.

doug105
10-14-2014, 19:28
nurofen plus is ibuprofen 200g plus low dose (12 mg) codeine not available in us.

DougN

GirlfromOZ
10-14-2014, 19:55
Thanks for the info guys! Definitely bring my inhalers with me!!! Some you don't need a script for here and I've never paid more than $50 for any of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capehiker
10-14-2014, 21:46
For Vitamin I, you only need a prescription for pills of 600mg or higher. Your best bet is to buy over the counter and then take what you need for dosage.