PDA

View Full Version : NY/Conn/Mass loop hike?

brian039
10-14-2014, 19:01
Hi all,

I am taking my girlfriend to Rhinebeck, NY on 10/17 - 10/19 and was wanting to get a hike in while I was in the area while she attends the fiber festival. Looking for something in the neighborhood of 20-35 miles and preferably a loop but I am open to other alternatives if a good loop isn't available. I would consider anything within a two hour drive of Rhinebeck. Could be something off the AT or in the Catskills.

burger
10-14-2014, 19:56
I'd suggest AT-South Taconic loop in the SW corner of MA (plus a bit in CT and NY). It's fairly easy and extremely scenic with open ridgeline walking plus a nice waterfall.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?64276-South-Taconic-AT-loop-in-MA

(Plus check the link to the viewfromthetop forum for instructions on how to make it a real loop without having to roadwalk or hitch/shuttle. That said, hitching in that area should be fairly easy).

coach lou
10-14-2014, 21:22
You can loop for weeks from the Hudson Highlands over the Bear Mtn. bridge, thru Harriman into Sterling forest.......or go into the Catskills.

hikeandbike5
10-14-2014, 21:45
I strongly suggest/reccomend the at/so taconic trail loop. Beautiful trails, beautiful area, and once as you get off the at you'll likely have all the trails to youself.

brian039
10-15-2014, 00:28
I'd suggest AT-South Taconic loop in the SW corner of MA (plus a bit in CT and NY). It's fairly easy and extremely scenic with open ridgeline walking plus a nice waterfall.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?64276-South-Taconic-AT-loop-in-MA

(Plus check the link to the viewfromthetop forum for instructions on how to make it a real loop without having to roadwalk or hitch/shuttle. That said, hitching in that area should be fairly easy).

Strongly considering this loop. Would not mind doing the road walk because I noticed there is a farm-to-table restaurant on the route. Any idea how long the road walk would be?

1azarus
10-15-2014, 07:57
Strongly considering this loop. Would not mind doing the road walk because I noticed there is a farm-to-table restaurant on the route. Any idea how long the road walk would be?

It is under four miles from Jug End Road to Catamount Ski area, a distance I hitch hiked quite easily, and a brisk one hour road walk... I skipped the restaurant and slummed it by eating at the base lodge. This is a really wonderful loop hike, even if you skip the bushwack part. the free phone Ap Maprika has the South Taconic range map and the even more useful south taconic trail detail map on it... have a great hike.

brian039
10-15-2014, 16:45
What trail head would y'all suggest I use?

1azarus
10-15-2014, 19:04
What trail head would y'all suggest I use?

Next time I think I'd park either at jug end or the Berkshire school. I'm not a fan of the long dirt roads that run into the park from the north and south.

KillerKarma
10-16-2014, 19:22
You mean you would rather hike than attend the best Sheep & Wool festival around?? Lol

brian039
10-21-2014, 13:08
Thanks for the recommendation. Great hike! Glad you posted the other thread about the hike, I would have assumed water wouldn't have been an issue but there were a couple of longish dry stretches. I started at Jug End Rd and ended at Catamount Ski Area and found the hike pretty easy. The only real difficult part was going down Everett southbound with wet leaves covering the smooth rock. Loved the fall colors, ridge-walking, the open, park-like woods, and Bash Bish falls. Saturday was cold and rainy and I was disappointed to find the Alander Mtn Cabin full of partiers.

"You mean you would rather hike than attend the best Sheep & Wool festival around?? Lol "

Yeah, I went last year. My girlfriend's family sells Cashmere at one of the booths and I just end up being dead weight.