PDA

View Full Version : Headgear for "hoodless" thru-hike

horsefarm
10-14-2014, 22:07
My projected start date is 4/1-4/5 for a 2015 AT thru.

I prefer a hoodless clothing system for the most part and the clothing I plan to take includes a SS 150 merino base, a LS midweight zip, Golite Selkirk down jacket and Montbell rain top (wind and rain protection). The only hooded item is the montbell jacket. I have a cheap cotton balaclava for sleep (i use a quilt so no head protection) and the beanie listed below. Along with looking at gear lists I decided to start looking at youtube vids of the clothing people are wearing during certain parts of their thru, and generally notice a ton of hoods and not many other people going with hoodless mid and insulating layers. The question is, with this setup would YOU be satisfied or want something more/different? I would consider looking into a hooded mid if consensus says so...im willing to trust more experienced judgement....but id rather stay "hoodless" if possible.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/micro-dome-OM5792.html?cgid=mens-accessories-headwear&dwvar_OM5792_variationColor=428#start=22

Slo-go'en
10-14-2014, 22:23
The only hooded garment I carry is the rain jacket. I use a bandana, ball cap or fleece beanie for headware as the situation requires.

1azarus
10-14-2014, 22:40
The rain jacket hood is plenty - fine to resist the packing of another hood... but i would consider a synthetic or Marino wool version of that balaclava ... Maybe a buff (that would be my choice). Cotton makes that balaclava a one use item.

1azarus
10-14-2014, 22:43
The rain jacket hood is plenty - fine to resist the packing of another hood... but i would consider a synthetic or Marino wool version of that balaclava ... Maybe a buff (that would be my choice). Cotton makes that balaclava a one use item.. Oh... Sorry to ramble, but then you could just leave the beanie behind if you were shaving weight.

horsefarm
10-14-2014, 23:00
The rain jacket hood is plenty - fine to resist the packing of another hood... but i would consider a synthetic or Marino wool version of that balaclava ... Maybe a buff (that would be my choice). Cotton makes that balaclava a one use item.

Do you find yourself needing that much headwear for hiking or just like the idea of having it in case?

horsefarm
10-14-2014, 23:09
Ahh ok, i like the idea of a buff over a balaclava actually. seems more versatile. had no idea that's what you called those things before googling it