PDA

View Full Version : Oct/Nov Grayson Highlands Trip

A/T Spike
10-15-2014, 21:21
I'm planning an 86.5 mile southbound hike from Va.42 to Damascus Va. the last week in October or the first week in November. Really looking forward to Grayson Highlands! I need a shuttle recommendation and a place to stay upon arriving in Damascus Friday night. I would like to leave my car in Damascus and shuttle to Va. 42 Saturday morning. Also any input on the water situation on this stretch is appreciated. I'm sending a resupply box to the post office in Troutdale. My low mileage day is 7 miles and my max mileage is 14.5....this could change depending on lots of stuff.

A/T Spike

saltysack
10-15-2014, 21:43
I used MRO last nov to shuttle hiked sobo 40 miles back to damascus...just over 2 days....my favorite section! Enjoy.. Left car at there hostle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treton
10-15-2014, 21:46
I believe a gentleman on this forum by the user name of Lone Wolf does an occasional shuttle from Damascus. I want to do a southbound hike to end in Damascus as well! I was thinking of starting around Mt Rogers.

saltysack
10-15-2014, 22:00
VA 603-fox creek sobo 40 miles to Damascus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wornoutboots
10-15-2014, 22:35
That'll be a great hike!! It's a wonderful section! Enjoy!!

~Boots~

Majortrauma
10-16-2014, 06:30
9-13 Oct I did the Grayson loop. Water will NOT be a problem.

redseal
10-16-2014, 07:57
I just got back from this section. I recommend Woodchuck Hostel to stay. The owner, Chuck, also provides shuttles. Water should not be a problem. Everything was flowing nicely as I passed through there. If you are looking for some reading, feel free to check out my site below. I have been blogging about each day's journey. I hit Grayson later on in my trip so those reports have not been posted yet. Happy Trails! It was a spectacular section.

HomeStyle
10-22-2014, 13:06
I agree with the Woodchuck Hostel recommendation. He is awesome!

We had planned on doing a portion of this section on Nov 1st and 2nd. However, we were going to camp at Grayson Highlands on the 1st. I called yesterday and the campgrounds are closed for a big hunt on Saturday.

I have only stayed at Woodchuck's before. Unfortunately, he's now closed for the season. I'm not sure how the other hostels in Damascus would compare. I came onto this forum to find some feedback. So your post is perfect timing for me.

Lone Wolf
10-22-2014, 13:15
I'm planning an 86.5 mile southbound hike from Va.42 to Damascus Va. the last week in October or the first week in November. Really looking forward to Grayson Highlands! I need a shuttle recommendation and a place to stay upon arriving in Damascus Friday night. I would like to leave my car in Damascus and shuttle to Va. 42 Saturday morning. Also any input on the water situation on this stretch is appreciated. I'm sending a resupply box to the post office in Troutdale. My low mileage day is 7 miles and my max mileage is 14.5....this could change depending on lots of stuff.

A/T Spikewhat day/time would you need the shuttle? i shuttle cheaper than anyone. Hikers Inn is a good place to stay

wornoutboots
10-22-2014, 14:51
Lonewolf has shuttle me several times, very affordable & dependable.

A/T Spike
10-23-2014, 07:04
Thanks for all the replies. I have a Friday stay and Saturday morning shuttle setup with Woodchuck Hostel. He closes for the season the end of Oct. I have a planned Tuesday resupply package waiting at the post office in Troutdale. How's the water/spring situation around Davis Campsite? I see on the map there's water about a mile further south. Are there any campsites around the spring?
Thanks,
A/T Spike

firemanjohn
10-25-2014, 18:24
I just finished my hike in Marion at the Partnership shelter. Water is flowing like crazy. Water is not going to be an issue. I only carried a liter at a time. I hiked from Pearisburg to Marion. Good luck!