PDA

View Full Version : POP-UP AD's.

JohnnySnook
10-16-2014, 01:32
Well couldn't post about his in another section of this forum.

How do you feel about pop-up ad's? Do the banners here bother you?

I mean they seem quite small compared to other forums. How do the pop ad's here compared to other sites you visit? All the ads I see here are related to hiking or the AT.

Would you like to have pop-ups like this inserted into your posts? This one isn't even bad. You can still read the post.

Compared to a small banner like this one on this site. Which is actually related to hiking.

I personally prefer the banner ad's and not those like the above screen shots. Maybe I'll post some examples that make these acceptable.

I really didn't want to post this in the general section but I feel that this forum could make a ton of money by selling out to google. Not sure it Tuckloe64 agrees.

To all members- If you can donate to WB or the ATC I think you should. Even small donations matter! This place is different from most forums and I hope it stays that way. I'm sure that my asking anyone to donate will cause upheaval also.

Yes, I'm ready for the haters. You're behind your keyboard and I'm behind mine. Lets go! Round one and I just bought a new keyboard! LOL.

I'm sure REI and many other vendors would pay big bucks for these pop up ad's! Since joining here and visiting REI and many other sites looking for gear I'm receiving a b()TT load of pop-up ads from hiking sites on my fishing sites. Hello!

All I get here is Bottle stoves, Jacks R Better, Shuttle ads, and a few other hiking sites. Why not Yamaha motor ads? BadIdea T-shirts? Contender boats? Chevy Trucks? Mail to order brides from russia? This list goes on and on.

Just Sayin...

Slo-go'en
10-16-2014, 13:50
Unless AWOL is really hurting for money, keep those annoying pop ups out of here. The banner ads are easy enough to ignore. I think non-donating members do see more ads. Log out and visit anonymously and you'll see the difference.

Damn Yankee
10-16-2014, 19:26
I don't mind the banner ads at the top, at least their not pop-ups

Mags
10-16-2014, 19:33
With Ad Blocker Plus, which many people use, pop ups are pretty useless.

July
10-16-2014, 19:55
With Ad Blocker Plus, which many people use, pop ups are pretty useless.

Works well for me, and when reviewing the numbers, WOW!

JohnnySnook
10-18-2014, 02:50
Well I feel the small ad's placed here don't deserve the AD blocker APP's. In fact they don't make visiting WB an issue. This may be the one site I think the minor banners are fine.

I do see those recommending the AD blocker APP don't donate to this site or possibly even the ATC. Due to this fact these comments really don't count in my opinion as none are donating members here or probably the ATC.

On certain sites I don't want popups blocked.

Just saying…

Donate to both causes and you'll have no need to use an APP to block ad's!

Just Sayin...

Mags
10-18-2014, 10:36
I do see those recommending the AD blocker APP don't donate to this site or possibly even the ATC. Due to this fact these comments really don't count in my opinion as none are donating members here or probably ...

besides being an incorrect statement, I was simply saying a simple fact of most people's online use.

hence why pop ups ads generally do not work for revenue generation.

Sly
10-18-2014, 16:29
Unless AWOL is really hurting for money.

Does AWOL own Whiteblaze now?

HeartFire
10-18-2014, 16:57
Ads? I don't see any ads at all - ever, I have all of them blocked, and I like it that way. Chrome has great ad blocker extensions, I don't get them here, I don't get any on facebook etc.

Coffee
10-18-2014, 17:23
I have no problem with banner ads but I will not use sites that assault me with pop ups. Hardly any reputable sites do that anymore.

OCDave
10-18-2014, 18:17
Could anybody out there call me repeatedly during the dinner hour and try to sell me magazine subscriptions? Also, if you could swing by my house repeatedly to alternately solicit money for a made-up charitable cause and then to give me the opportunity to take advantage of a box of frozen meat at an unbeleivably low price this would be equally appreciated.

It has been so long since I have had any issues with Pop-up ads I did know it was still a thing.

JohnnySnook
10-21-2014, 06:08
I guess that the hiking community has banished the popup AD's. Now if the fishing industry would just follow suit. Its just crazy at time. You have to close ad's to just to see the next post. I guess selling $25,000.00 engines or $250,000.00 boAT Makes it right. WB could make some money from Zpacks if they wanted to. Luckily may have complained in the fishing sites so the pop are on the decline lately. Give it a month and they'[ll be back till a lot of members complain.