PDA

View Full Version : My current pack

Cedar1974
10-16-2014, 20:08
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=7146&tabid=1

This is my current pack, with a few minor mods. I installed my old hydration pack onto the frame and a pair of straps for my old sleeping bag on the bottom. I do plan on hooking on a pair of 2 qt canteens on the sides as well as a shovel for...well I'm sure you know why. Would this pack be too much for a thru hike? If so, would it make a good training pack, say add some weights inside and start hiking with it to get in shape for the long haul?

jimmyjam
10-16-2014, 20:14
That pack is not what you want to hike the AT with. How would you keep your sleeping bag dry when it's hanging on the outside. Look for a pack 3 lbs and under.

Cedar1974
10-16-2014, 20:42
That pack is not what you want to hike the AT with. How would you keep your sleeping bag dry when it's hanging on the outside. Look for a pack 3 lbs and under.

Well, it is under 3 lbs (2.85lbs according to the site. Also, I plan on getting a hammock to sleep in. As for keeping my sleeping bag dry, a pair of garbage bags seem to work very well for keeping my sleeping bag dry enough. Though I am thinking of getting something much lighter, like making an underquilt from down to go with my hammock.

Gnomad
10-16-2014, 20:56
I am not sure from your link if the frame is included in the weight. If so, weight wise it is not too bad. I agree that you don't want your sleeping bag strapped to the outside. The reason to get something like this is nostalgia or durability. For durability, check out ULA or osprey exos packs. Both will be lighter. Both are reported to be pretty bombproof.

Cedar1974
10-17-2014, 07:15
I am not sure from your link if the frame is included in the weight. If so, weight wise it is not too bad. I agree that you don't want your sleeping bag strapped to the outside. The reason to get something like this is nostalgia or durability. For durability, check out ULA or osprey exos packs. Both will be lighter. Both are reported to be pretty bombproof.

Thanks for the advice. And the only think I might carry outside my pack might be a bear can if that is required anywhere along the trail. I know in some places further north they require one.